Aloha!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Big Island Training Today...

Today I had a brick, those are good. Really good. It was a swim/ride brick. Woke up to rain and wind. No worries, the swim is first and well, when you swim you are wet. The rain was not going to stop me. But it stopped my "almost" training partner. DARN IT! Finally score a GREAT swimmer, I barely slept last night because I was in a panic about keeping up and excited at the same time, and the rain stopped him.

I get a text saying... my bike is my transportation and I'm not up for riding down in the rain.

Partly relieved*I can breathe*and partly bummed, I was looking forward to a major bum kick from my "almost" training partner...okay, I'll tell, it was Cotter. He just swam a 47 in IM NZ and I was more than eager to "try" and draft... next time...I'm letting him off the hook because he just did an Ironman like a day ago.

The swim was some time trial stuff (800, 200, 100) and a bit of pulling. It hurt and having Cotter would have absolutely killed me. Then time to ride...

To my truck. Nice. All 7 guys are gone. Why, I'll tell ya, it was sprinkling, dark, cloudy, and Guy Hagi (our weather guy) said we have flash floods and 6 inches of snow coming. When you live on an island that has sunshine 355 days a year the 9 or 10 days it is not sunny causes most people to stay inside. Gosh darn it all! I was "ALMOST" tempted to ride 50 miles on the trainer. Guy Hagi had me scared too. I could see myself all alone on Queen K in flash floods (there's a second swim of the day) and 6 inches of snow.

I weighed the options... brave the darkness or brave the trainer.

THEN I see the happiest thing ever, a BIG white truck! Doug! Doug will ride in flood and snow warnings. So we go. Yes, the winds are on (but they always are) and it is dark. We are hit with 24 sprinkles during the entire 50 miles!

Check it out! Our beach today... NICE!

Oh, last week I found something. I want it for Kainoa and I. Only thing is he doesn't reach the pedals. What a deal though, $140 bucks... anybody want to join me on my ride Thursday? I seriously think a long ride on a tandem bike would be the absolute most fun ever! Rain or shine I am in!


PS: No new snow today. But a snow balls worth is left on top Mauna Kea.
.



13 Comments:

Blogger Go Gammie said...

Good for you getting out in that nasty rain this morning. It did look intimidating. Especially when the flash flood warning is up. Glad you got back with your nice bike without having to chain up the tires for the snow :)
Yes a beauty of a tandem bike, good for hill repeats??

March 17, 2009 at 8:49 PM

 
Blogger Randy said...

Way to go Bree. Way to be tough. I wimped out on an ocean swim today, but plan on a 40 miler tomorrow with heavy rains expected in the morning.

March 17, 2009 at 10:21 PM

 
Blogger chr15 said...

Put blocks on the pedals and some old 'cow horn' bars. Awesome!

I'm glad you got your brick in, training partner or no training partner. Getting sessions like that in in the bad weather makes you tough!

In the UK if we didn't ride in the rain or snow we'd get nothing done (not that I'm tough).. Pretty much the exact opposite her 355 days of rain, the other 10 we get out on the beach and burn to a crisp.

March 17, 2009 at 11:13 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Snow in Hawaii??? No way.

March 17, 2009 at 11:37 PM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Good work toughing it out. You have a real "fire-in-yer-belly" this year don't you? I can't wait to start reading race reports from you. Sorry, you missed the snow - I will send you some of ours (Luckily there is not much left.)

March 18, 2009 at 2:10 AM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Well done for going. I am sure I would have wimped out. In fact I know I would have - snow has never been forecast for where I live, I just wimp out for a bit of cold!

March 18, 2009 at 3:28 AM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

I TOTALLY want to do a tandem triathlon with my wife!! I'd come ride with you too!!

And I did a brick yesterday too! Nothing like a good St. Patty's Day Brick! Nice work!!

March 18, 2009 at 4:25 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

How about those conditions! Glad you made it out and didnt' have to suffer on the trainer (yuck..double yuck). I have a bad feeling my trainer days in PA are not over yet but it is only March! I'm also thankful you shared that formula for the eletrolyte intake. That is a really good point and one I probably don't think about in the summer enough. So glad you are back to feeling good and can nail those workouts again Bree! You're amazing! Go to it!

March 18, 2009 at 5:36 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

You are CRAZY!!! I would've totally opted for the trainer ride, good on you!
I want to ride tandem! I have a friend who is riding for cancer (Tandem Style) with his friend 200kms in June. That would be sooo much fun :) One more thing to add to the list!

March 18, 2009 at 5:48 AM

 
Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

It sounds like a great day to be out training. It must suck to only have 355 sunny days a year. It would drive me nuts. :)

I will be there in May for the tandem ride.

March 18, 2009 at 6:24 AM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

You and me on the Tandem...lets go....goodtimes!!

March 19, 2009 at 7:42 PM

 
Blogger James and Lindsay Cotter said...

haha. yes the rain stopped me. not because I'm soft, because it was dark and wet and I had no lights. I will see you next tuesday.

March 19, 2009 at 7:51 PM

 
Blogger chr15 said...

Just bashed out a half mary after an 'oatey' breakfast!

Kainoa's mix R.O.C.K.S. :)

March 22, 2009 at 2:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home