Aloha!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep," -Robert Frost

This morning Coach Eric was nice enough to let me jump in with his swimmers (coach Paul made a new rule: No more swimming solo, I float, snorkel, and play mermaid too much). Kona Aquatics is only Mon. Wed. Fri. so I had a problem... The rest of my team was up North doing Lavacamp, I was on mom patrol and had to do my training solo once I got Kainoa to school...however, with the no more solo swims my only option was Coach Eric's group. I LOVE them, but they hurt. Hurting is good for me, I think.

After that it was a ride. Now I was REALLY missing my team. The head winds felt like I was riding up a massive hill with a grade of 20%... about the time my legs asked WHY they are still going I jumped on the wheel of some man who passed me and the legs were saved, at least for another couple hours...

Now home-sweet-home and it was breakfast time... actually it was almost time to get Kainoa from school but my body wanted breakfast & lunch, so we had it, even though dinner was soon coming too. By the time dinner got here I was so tired from the past couple weeks that my son and I went out to eat! Anyone that knows me knows I prefer to cook, bake, and have bbq's at home, I absolutely love cooking...today there would be none of that... there was no energy to play Rachel Ray and then clean the disaster that happens when I cook... so a mother-son-date it was!

Over Killer Taco's with Kainoa I was thinking about each and every day the past couple weeks I wondered how I would make it another mile, or make another mile faster, or make another mile further... some days it really feels like there are no more steps left in my shoes and no more strokes left to swim in my arms... I love it though, I love it so much and love that this is my job, I want to go to work. I suppose people that have papers and deadlines feel similar, they wonder how they will finish the paper... we just do...

But there is definitely something more than just loving this life and this career... a lot more... there are a lot of great people that make all this possible for me and keep me going one more mile, one more stroke, a little further, a little faster...

And since I have this promise to keep to them and these miles to go for them I am going to keep on keepin' on...at least till Saturday (I heard a rumor that Saturday I have a FULL day off, no swim, bike, or run). I do not remember the last time I had nothing to do but nothing! Not getting my hopes up just yet...

Anyways, it's almost April and I haven't even done a massive shout out to my 2009 team! Better late than never... in no particular order, here is my 2009 team:

Big MAHALOS to:

Trakkers: Keeping families connected to their athletes and keeping families/friends connected through websites!
Argon 18 Bikes: The most feisty, free spirited bike I have ever ridden! It just wants to go, go, go! Not to mention it handles even the longest days in the headwinds like a champ!
Lifesport Coaching: Finding a good coach is like finding the right shoe, every foot is different, and my feet don't fit just any shoe! One of my missions in life is to have as much fun as possible yet be the best I can be... Coach Paul has helped me find that road that leads to success while enjoying the journey.
K-Swiss: Keeping the feet happy and the training clothes fun & functionable! loads of styles and colors that make whatever the running mood a good one.
Bike Works Hawaii: Keeping my bike and me in one piece! (and they play well with Kainoa).
Splish!: Makes swimming fun, need I say more??
Blue Seventy: The wetsuit feels like you are swimming naked, that's important to me! I live where we NEVER have to wear one of those things so come race day in a cold water race I am not in the mood to deal with getting choked and rashed by a big floating wetsuit!
Healing Hands Massage: My muscles need this and appreciate this...to keep going you have to recharge the batteries!
Johnson & Blanton: My manager!! Travis totally does all the behind the scenes stuff, keeps me organized, and makes sure I am not getting myself into anymore trouble than I already do! Yet, he lets me keep a relationship with my sponsors, not just hog all the communication with them...
Kona Community, The Club in Kona, Kona Aquatics/Coach Steve, friends, Kainoa, & my family: Along for the ride (not that you had a choice!!). This is the start of year two as a professional and you totally gave me the guts to chase a dream and keep me reaching for brighter stars! I LOVE you guys!!

Tomorrow, out to help with the Lavacamp! More miles please!!

.



12 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Ok..so I am thinking..Chloe and I luv the sun..luv Kona..luv kiddos..luv sports..luv water..maybe we should come help you..like by your whatever people..just a thought...we think you are AOK as a 12 yr old says...

March 31, 2009 at 6:52 PM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

OMG....I love these cookies!! Thanks a bunch!!
I hope Antonio is safe at home with Juan these days!!
Glad you liked the "owners manual" that came with the bike...LOL!!!

Off sat...will call you!!
Cheers!

The Dolphin Boy!

March 31, 2009 at 7:24 PM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

i love killer tacos!
sounds like things are coming together well for you and that you are at a great spot :)
YAY!!

March 31, 2009 at 8:10 PM

 
Blogger Kona Shelley said...

Thanks for the positive motivation this a.m...sure needed it..:-)

April 1, 2009 at 1:46 AM

 
Blogger Tamara said...

"I love it though, I love it so much and love that this is my job, I want to go to work. I suppose people that have papers and deadlines feel similar"

fwiw, those of us that spend our days in an office almost NEVER have that same joy about working!! It's why we read your blog and dream of the hours when we escape our bland, sunless cubicles to experience that same freedom for even an hour or two every day. Keep going those extra miles for those of us who don't get paid for it, but are cheering you on every step of the way!

April 1, 2009 at 2:52 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Saturday is right around the corner. But, don't you have a race that day? (Did you panic there? Just a little? ) Keep up the good work. It is even more impressive that you do all you do and are a single mom - give yourself a pat on the back for that as well. I love that picture - running on lava - super cool. Keep at it!

April 1, 2009 at 3:02 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer Cunnane said...

Everybody is rooting for you Bree - Keep, keeping on and doing what you do best! You have come so far!

April 1, 2009 at 4:33 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

What an amazing team you have! But then, you so deserve them :-)

April 1, 2009 at 7:07 AM

 
Blogger D said...

I had a dream with Coach Paul in it the other day. You & Sam talk about him too much. Now he's invading my dreams with tough workouts! I just want a little sleep Coach Paul!

April 1, 2009 at 8:37 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Great post Bree!
Crossing my fingers Saturday Off Day works out for you.

April 1, 2009 at 9:03 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

I have a solo 2 hour ride tomorrow. I am looking forward to it but I wish that some one would be able to join me. I need someone to push me a little.

You are very lucky to have such a great team of sponsors and supporters behind you. I don't think that they are in any question of your appreciation of them.

April 1, 2009 at 12:16 PM

 
Blogger allyson said...

Great job on your race and training schedule.

reading your blog puts a smile to my face, and lets me know what life is like outside the office and your training. I am constantly amazed at your positive attitude and how you keep on going.

April 1, 2009 at 1:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home