Aloha!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Coach, it was a surf check!

Maggs and I with our favorite draft...

This morning was amazing! Anytime you are in a giant aquarium life is good. Today's swim was a bunch of beep beep beep (the tempo trainers). Finding rhythm with those things has always been a bit of challenge for me, slowly I am starting to see the benefits though... as Lisa would say, "Embrace it"... the girl can swim... so it's worth a shot. Of course all beautiful things have moments of pain, the swim was no exception. Maggs and I hopped on the "Justin Express" in hopes of a bit of drafting practice and a nice ride to shore. Supposedly drafting saves 8% of your energy, I'm pretty sure tucking in behind a big guy like Justin saves 10% or more... THANKS AGAIN for the draft!

Then it was time. Time for the SUN RUN. We waited till 12:30, had to make sure it was the most sunny and hot time of the day here in Kona. It was. The plan: Pretend you are running the marathon of Ironman Hawaii. It was hot, the legs were dead tired from yesterday, Coach told me no IPOD, pretty much I felt like I just jumped off a 112 mile ride (after a 2.4 mile swim).

The run started slowly-60 minutes base, my chance to practice pacing, something I am REALLY good at (slight exaggeration). Every part of me wanted to get a move on and tackle this, holding back was a bigger challenge than imaginable. I decided to just pretend it was my Sunday long run here at home, a run I do every week in my back yard, a place I know like the back of my hand, the cars driving by were my friends, every little hill & turn were totally known to me, this was just another long run...something I love to do... that made this slow start feel comfortable...

From the Kona Pier, down Ali'i Drive to Tikis, then turn back. Right up Hualalai, left on Kuakini, right up Palani, left on Queen K. (sound familiar??) 60 minutes later it was 45 minutes at my "almost Ironman pace". I liked this, now the miles were starting to click, ground was getting covered, and that "zone" was finally mine. Me alone running. At this point I was starting to see some of my team mates heading back to town (they got to skip the Ali'i Drive section and were doing some ITU/70.3 stuff). Seeing them was great encouragement. We were hootin' and hollerin' across Queen K, high-fiving in the Energy Lab, and it just felt like "team". I love em'!! Totally love my team mates!!

Oh the Energy Lab. I LOVE this part. Most of my recovery runs are on the trail back there and my intervals are all run on the flats rather than the track. Kainoa and I spend loads of time there searching for crabs and fish. That place is special, maybe my favorite part of the run. Up the little climb, right on Queen K, and now it was time for 45 minutes of "move my @$$". Jamming down Queen K I encountered a small problem... Coach gave my apple gel away! (whoever got that better have enjoyed all 30-40 minutes of it!). That left me with someone else's that I had to pass up (I'd rather eat burnt chicken!!).

About this time in the run flash backs of 2007 were entertaining me. The joy of that race is second to none, I just loved it and am SO HAPPY that this year I will get to love it all over again! Thinking so much about the race got me so fired up I started to race, whatever was left. I ran down Palani so fast it hurt, turned onto Hulalai, then right on Ali'i and literally I could feel the magic of the finish line! It felt the exact same, I hurt the same, was just as happy, and I was done.

I thought I was done.

NOPE, I finished 15 minutes early! Of course coach was following in his "support vehicle" and made me turn back on Ali'i for more. Seriously I was spent, I ran as FAST AS I COULD and left nothing in the tank and now I had to turn back for 15 minutes more...without stopping I was off and he u-turned the car to make sure I was running as fast as I could. Holy crap I wanted to barf, fall over, stop, just survive! When you leave nothing thinking you are done and are told to find more and use that all up something happens... you find a way to find more...

My way to find more was to find the beach. I ran a loop around Kings Beach (oooops, lost coach, he thought I was shopping in the little shops there on Ali'i) I was hauling @$$ doing a surf check, 7 minutes more and he is yelling for me to pick it up, I drop him again and make a loop around Honl's, that made me run really fast because it looks like a swell is coming!!

NOW back to the "Ironman finish line". This time I was seriously about to fall over, maybe I would be crawling to the finish line like Julie Moss. Coach drives by AGAIN and tells me I have something like 2 more minutes, so I do that little strecth of Ali'i that takes you to the Kuakini/Palani intersection, fly back down that as fast as I can, then I really am DONE. 22.5 miles and I am DONE!

Quickly I down some seaweed (that was all I was craving) thankfully coach didn't give that away like he did my apple gel!! I would have killed him! After a short team meeting at the Ironman finish line, we are outta there!


I head straight to Kona Natural Foods and eat EVERYTHING in that big brown bag, then I take the best ice bath my legs have ever felt, then I eat more...

Than a massage... and now my legs feel AWESOME! Not really. Tomorrow should be another fun day here in Kona... a swim followed up by a ride of the Ironman bike course. No super long ride is complete without fresh banana bread loaded with "the good stuff" so I made some for my team (unless coach eats it all in the support vehicle)... he really should be on the bike!



Finally, my dad called. One of my most favorite women in the world went to heaven. She was the woman that got me into cooking. She got me that cook book you see and together we made a lot of her best recipes (like the banana bread). That book is filled with all my top secret recipes learned from her. She watched me on the farm riding horses and tractors, never saw a triathlon but always wanted to... grandma, now you can watch one from heaven! I love you!! I promise to finish my cook book for you one day!!

Okay, now it really is bed time!!

.



22 Comments:

Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Very sorry to hear about your loss.

March 26, 2009 at 10:45 PM

 
Blogger Train-This said...

Bree..... My thoughts and prayers are with you girl..... and the growth is just continuing within you. Even how you handle loss in such a positive light. Yours is already the most fascinating journey of the season! HUGGS!

March 26, 2009 at 11:29 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Bree,
Very sorry to hear about your Grandma. I am sure that you will find lots of recipies to fill that book.
It is always nice to have angels to watch over you during your races. My mom has been angel seeing me through the rough spots.

Coach needs a talking to for giving away your apple gel! But hey, you got it done and you were able to dig deep. You go girl!

March 27, 2009 at 2:01 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

So sorry about your Grandma Bree. I bet she was very proud of you

March 27, 2009 at 2:28 AM

 
Blogger sallyaston said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 27, 2009 at 2:28 AM

 
Blogger sallyaston said...

So sorry about your Grandma. Hugs! If you get a chance (and I know you are busy) can you post a link for the banana bread recipe. I'm just geting hooked on cooking these days and it looks like something my family would love! Have a super weekend! :-)

March 27, 2009 at 2:31 AM

 
Blogger IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Sometimes words can't express what the heart feels so deeply.

Think of the good times, they will stay with you forever.

March 27, 2009 at 2:53 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

What great training! I need that bread recipe!!
Keep up the great training and enjoy all the rewards that come with pushing your body to the limit!
-marn

March 27, 2009 at 3:20 AM

 
Blogger Tamara said...

I'm so sorry, Bree. I lost my last grandmother in February and my heart still aches. You and your family are in my thoughts.

March 27, 2009 at 3:38 AM

 
Blogger Nibbles said...

Hi Bree, I am an aspiring triathlete who has enjoyed following your blog for some time and wanted to come out of lurkdom to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. Grandmas are the world's greatest people. I wish you and your family all the best.

March 27, 2009 at 4:34 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Bree, I'm so sorry that your grandma died...big hug.

March 27, 2009 at 4:50 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your grandmother - my thoughts are with you! Sending good vibes to you today :)

March 27, 2009 at 5:58 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Great job training this week. Maybe we can design sport tops with air bags...65 mph!!

The banana bread looks amazing!!! Cook on and make grandma proud!

tn

March 27, 2009 at 6:02 AM

 
Blogger Shan said...

You made my favorite kind of bread - banana bread with chocolate chips!! Now you have me salivating ;).

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma, but I'm sure you will continue to make her proud of you with all that you do!!

HUGS!

March 27, 2009 at 7:13 AM

 
Blogger Maria said...

Bree...

I hope you do get to finish that cookbook in the near future...saw this quotation and thought...'exactly'.

"Grandmas don't just say "that's nice" -- they reel back and roll their eyes and throw up their hands and smile. You get your money's worth out of grandmas."

Keep those memories alive ;o)...oh, and your training make my legs hurt...even more...after reading this I don't think I can ever complain about aches again...

March 27, 2009 at 7:18 AM

 
Blogger PJ said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your Grandmother, Bree. My thoughts are with you.

March 27, 2009 at 7:34 AM

 
Blogger rr said...

Aw, Weezle, so sorry about your grandma.

xoxo

March 27, 2009 at 7:40 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Hopefully she went peacefully.

You definitely have to post that recipe, especially if those are chocolate chips on the top!

March 27, 2009 at 9:16 AM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Sorry to hear of your loss Bree. After such a great day running for you.

I hope your ride Friday went well:)
That is one heck of an ice bag, super size after a super workout :)

March 27, 2009 at 9:49 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Bree sorry to hear about your Grandma. If she is anything like you, she will probably have everyone in heaven cheering you on for your races with big smiles:)

March 27, 2009 at 1:04 PM

 
Blogger Kiet said...

Cookbook, cookbook, cookbook, cookbook, gooooo cookbook! Make it happen Bree, I'll send you a check to reserve a copy. I'm making the banana bread and the cookies next week. Your cooking recipes are like the ingredients of a LaraBar, simple. I don't bake but I'm trying your recipes because they look so damn easy. Sorry to hear about your grandma.

March 27, 2009 at 5:55 PM

 
Blogger Brent Poulsen said...

you lite up the ride today, awesome work! hope you had good mexican, Justin and i just had a sick burrito. see you in am!

March 27, 2009 at 6:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home