Aloha!

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Eat Oats.

Oatmeal. Porridge. Harina de avena. Whatever you call it MIX IT UP! Possibly one of the most consumed foods by athletes all over the world, oatmeal can be good stuff with just a little variety!

7 ways (and why's) to eat your oats:

Kainoa's Mix: Oats with cinnamon, currants, & walnuts: Cinnamon helps fight the common cold, stabilizes blood sugar (helps with sweet tooth cravings).Currants are high in vitamin C, iron, phosphorus, and calcium. Walnuts are good for the heart and help with inflammation.

Gogi Only: Oatmeal & gogis! The goji berry has all this:
  • protects the liver
  • help eyesight
  • improve sexual function and fertility
  • strengthen the legs
  • boost immune function
  • improve circulation
  • Good source of antioxidants
  • Protein source
  • promote longevity

Island Style: Oatmeal, fresh cut papaya, pina, coconut shreds, and bananas. Bananas-see here, papaya is a "nutritional masterpiece" that aids digestion, pina- inflammation & more, coconut is an isotonic electrolyte.

Apple-meal: Oatmeal, raw apples, chunky apple sauce, walnuts, and cinnamon: An apple a day keeps the doctor away- enough said!

Berrys n' Oats: Oatmeal, blueberries, raspberries, strawberry's, blackberries, and walnuts. Berry's are loaded with antioxidants.

Banana Crunch: Oatmeal, bananas, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, and granola. The flax seeds are a wonderful omega 3, fiber boost, and help with breast cancer (among MANY other things). Pumpkin seeds host a range of protein, iron, vitamin C, potassium, and other goodies! Granola makes the CRUNCH!

Coconutty: Oatmeal, coconut shreds, coconut water, chopped dates, and macnuts (from Hawaii of course). Dates are sweet and fiberful! Macnuts help lower cholesterol, energy boosters, protein source, and a "good fat" source.

Oatmeal gone wrong: Oatmeal, carob powder, carob chips, almond butter: Almonds are protien full and help runners knees! Carob powder and chips are healthier replacements for chocolate and include:
  • non dairy
  • low in fat
  • a source of calcium
  • no cholesterol
  • a source of protein
  • low in sodium
  • a source of potassium
  • not a source of caffeine or theobromine
  • good for treating diarrhea
Oooooop's, that was 8! Oatmeal is just too much fun...

.



22 Comments:

Blogger Jill Costantino said...

They say you learn 1 thing everyday and I just learned a whole bunch. Great post - LOVE Oatmeal and now I know a few more ways to try it. MMMmmmmm!!!

March 18, 2009 at 1:10 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

YUM! I LOVE oatmeal!!! :) I add wheat germ, blackberries, and walnuts - SUPER good! Thanks for some great ideas on how to make it even better!!!

March 18, 2009 at 1:23 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

The one reason I've been happy about the cold weather here...my morning oatmeal...Coaches oats with bananas and almond butter.

March 18, 2009 at 2:11 PM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

I have gotten back on the oatmeal wagon this winter. Now, I just have to find me some o' them gogi berries.

March 18, 2009 at 2:40 PM

 
Blogger Maijaleena said...

They all look good to me! Good for cholesterol!

March 18, 2009 at 3:15 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Yummy!! I'm having oatmeal tomorrow for breakfast!!
BTW, to get the most out of flax seed, you need to grind it. Otherwise, it's just in and out! ;)

March 18, 2009 at 4:31 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer Harrison said...

Yes! My all time fav. I eat oatmeal every day! I race on it, train on it and it is my staple. Organic Oats, cinnamon, currants and walnuts. Sometimes honey if I am feeling sassy...and blueberries. GREAT post! :)) Hope you are doing great.

March 18, 2009 at 5:04 PM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

I eat oatmeal every day! Right now with strawberries and soy since the S-berry is in season. YUM! Thanks for the great post - I'll have to choose one for next weeks breakfast!

March 18, 2009 at 5:27 PM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Okay, starting tomorrow I am getting out of my rut...I have oatmeal everyday and it is not nearly as exciting as these concoctions. Thanks for the tips and no cook book is fun without photos (love it!).
tn

March 18, 2009 at 6:16 PM

 
Blogger rr said...

I'm a new addict! Jamba oats every day.. it's an obsession. Thanks for all the new ideas..

March 18, 2009 at 6:24 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

You make oatmeal look exciting!! Looks like some great recipes for the Bree Wee Cookbook :) Everyone of those looks yummy.
Have a great workout tomorrow, let me know if you want an aid station at White Sands Beach, water, gels and salt tabs??? I gues with oatmeal for breakfast you can cruise all day:) Have a good one.

March 18, 2009 at 7:45 PM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Dammit - now I am hungry again!

March 18, 2009 at 10:53 PM

 
Blogger chr15 said...

I'm gonna try all of these! Who knew, porridge could be so appealing!

Off the supermarket to find Goji berries right now! :)

March 19, 2009 at 12:40 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Those all looks great and I love the use of all types of goodies to add in a basic bowl of oats! YUM!
-marn

March 19, 2009 at 4:02 AM

 
Blogger Kiet said...

I thought I was clever with my oatmeal with blueberry flax, whey protein, brown sugar and mixed berries but I think you win the award for putting the pizazz in oatmeal. BTW, I've always liked your random nutrition/food tips, how about posting them less random?

March 19, 2009 at 6:39 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

I just had my morning bowl of oatmeal and this just made me want about 6 more. Kianoa's mix is definitely happening soon. I like that kid already.

March 19, 2009 at 6:45 AM

 
Blogger Shan said...

mmmmmmmm I would eat all of those combinations...just not at once :). I love my oats - but mostly combine them with yogurt and fruit ... I'll have to give this a whirl sometime!

March 19, 2009 at 7:44 AM

 
Blogger goSonja said...

Island Style, yum, that looks too good to be true! Thanks for passing along all these ideas, next time I feel like I'm in the Oatmeal-dull-drums I'll refer here!

March 19, 2009 at 8:26 AM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

Have you seen this site? www.mixmygranola.com - way too cool!

March 19, 2009 at 10:56 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

I love Oatmeal... Could even eat it for dinner.. Oh I do sometimes! Thanks for more great ideas!

March 19, 2009 at 1:32 PM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

yummy! :)

March 19, 2009 at 2:22 PM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

I am a HUGE fan of oats! Even though it's nearly midnight here, all of your pictures have me wanting to mess up the kitchen with oat concoctions! YUM!

March 20, 2009 at 5:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home