Aloha!

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Macca ONLY beat me by 16 minutes...

Do you want to know what Chris McCormack said during his winners speech? Here's what he said, "Great race! Incredible competition, especially those Lifesport women! For sure if I had biked up Kaloko & followed it up with track repeats, rode the Ironman course Friday, ran it on Thursday, swam it a few times, and had to chase a scooter on my bike doing intervals and time trials they would have beat me!" "Luckily I am tapering for Oceanside and my legs FELT INCREDIBLE!"

Just kidding, he was so much fun to have at our local race mixing it up with the local boys! He even cheered for me on the run! Talk about an honor to line up next to him at a race!

A couple of the pro men pre-race trash talking... Marr is warning Macca to watch out!


Antonio all ready for his first race!!

My awesome tattoo! I know you want one... nothing like spam musubis to power you through a race!!

Transition area getting ready for action...

Brooke and me goofing off as usual, gotta love the sister!!


A couple of the pro women trash talking prerace


Mary & Sam
Vern!

Jimmy and his better half :)
Bike Support!

Hawaii's fastest Amatuer and Big Island boy, Luis De Latorre

Freezing!



Big Island's favorite male pro- James Cotter

Lisa out of the swim after dominating the rest of the pro women feild! (and most men)...

Heather, Maggs, and I out of the water off to get Lisa...



Tim Marr riding strong!
Cotter chasing Macca
Dominating!
Brent in the mix! (after trashing his legs all week with the Lifesport gang)


Lisa
Jimmy day & Luis

Doug Leopold
Annette Leopold (maker of Too Good To Be True Cookies of Kona)

Raul and Keith... first flat of the day!
James and his dad!! (James is a local boy, legally blind & super into triathlon!)

Finally done! Sorry coach, messed up the pacing plan, next time! GREAT race Lisa, it was an honor to race a real life Olympian!! Taking 2nd to you is incredible! But watch out for next year, I am skipping that long run, long ride, the hill, the track sessions, anything out to the Ironman buoy... and you have to do double what we did this week!

Beach Party with Lisa & Brian!

Jimmy and the Lifesport gang

Shakas with Jimmy
(check out that cool shirt too, can you tell I love my bikes??)



Seriously, there is no place like home and a day like this reminds me why my home is on this island! The first triathlon is always a huge welcome to the season... nice to see where your fitness is at, nice to get back into the groove of something you enjoy, but even cooler is being surrounded by people you love! The Lavaman Triathlon brings out almost the entire community of Kona! It's the little brother to the Hawaiian Ironman. If you aren't racing it solo you are on a relay, if not on a relay you are watching, if not watching you are volunteering, if not volunteering you are at the beach talking story...

Lavaman was my very first Olympic distance race so I absolutely hold it second to none in the short course triathlon world... I still remember that race like it was yesterday. To prepare I swam maybe 9,000 yards a week, ran about 12 miles a week, and would do 2 rides to Vets(25 miles) and one to Scenic (36miles) each week. For taper I would do half of that and call myself tapered. Today I found myself laughing. Today I am in such a different spot in my tri-life.

Leading up to the race we did the Ironman at least twice this week. NOW THAT IS A TAPER!

Going into the race with a smashed body was the best thing (now that it is over) that I may have done so far this season. Every time it hurt I was able to remind myself of some session in training this week that I overcame something. I was able to remind myself this was only 2hours-not all day! I was able to learn to push through the most tired, fatigued, heavy legs I have EVER used in my life...

Today the field was loaded with talent... 2 multiple Ironman winners, 70.3 champs, ITU super stars, Olympians, it was such an honor for this small town Kona girl to line up in her back yard with these incredible people... and today... I wanted to be part of it...

My race plan (yes, I still use one even on short races, it's the rookie in me that won't go away) was to try and swim without looking at fish, coral, and turtles, ride hard (coach said to move it on the bike knowing my legs were trashed and most likely not going to be happy runners), then run the first 5k easy and the final 5k fast. (I have this pacing problem we are trying to fix) and we thought letting the trashed legs warm up would be smart too.

Rather than full details, there are a lot, here is the short version...
I love swimming in A-Bay, felt every mile of the week on the bike, and I MESSED up my run plan! The only goal coach really had for me was to fix this pacing problem. I jumped off the bike and ran as hard as I could for as tired as I was! first 3 miles easy, no. I found myself in front of the Olympian (Lisa Mensink) and thought that was the COOLEST thing ever in the world! I wanted so bad to run as hard as I could in hopes by the time I died I would be too far in front. It was working till some where between mile 3-4. Everything hurt so bad. It was actually a relief when she passed me, then I would begin breathing again! My new goal became don't let Heather catch me now that I totally trashed my pacing plan and every last muscle in my legs.

Seeing that finish line (even though I would't get to it till AFTER running a 1/4 mile in the sand) was such a welcome relief! Being Sunday after this crash week is also a VERY welcoming experience! AND tomorrow is ONLY a swim!

A HUGE thank you to Argon 18 for my amazing bike (I think this bike and me are going to get along really good), Bike Works, K-Swiss shoes, Splish suits, Blue Seventy, Lifesport, Coach Steve & Kona Aquatics, Trakkers, Johnson & Blanton, Dawn Henry, the Lavaman race directors, the volunteers, my incredible team, the Kona community, my family & friends!

Great race to ALL the finishers too
!

.



32 Comments:

Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Congrats on 2nd place!! Man, can you imagine how you would have done had your body been completely fresh and rested? Scary!

Thanks for all the great pictures!!!

March 30, 2009 at 12:41 AM

 
Blogger Missy said...

The best pix evah! What a great day. Congrats. Love the retrospective on your first Olympic distance race...how times change.

March 30, 2009 at 1:26 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Well done on the race. Great picsn - I felt like I was there.

March 30, 2009 at 1:33 AM

 
Blogger IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Fantastic pics as usual, felt like I was there.
You did great, especially considering your training week.
Love the shirt "Antonio and Juan are my amigos". I have to think of a name for my P2.
What's with Macca in swim/bike transition with one blue sock?

March 30, 2009 at 2:40 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Awesome job! I want to know how you can take pics during the race of other athletes and of yourself!!! :)
Great job!
-marn

March 30, 2009 at 3:16 AM

 
Blogger bart said...

gee! you really hammered the bike didn't you??

March 30, 2009 at 4:15 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Awesome post-race report and pics! Lovin' it! Congrats on a job well done! :o)

March 30, 2009 at 4:21 AM

 
Blogger Shan said...

Congrats BREE!! Nice work! BTW, your Spam tattoo totally rocks! Loved your race report :)...

March 30, 2009 at 5:00 AM

 
Blogger Laura said...

Awesome Bree! One of the things I love about triathlon is that you are out there on the same course with the same/similar conditions at the same time as the pros of the sport. Love the pictures - and they totally show that!

Here's to an awesome start of the season!

March 30, 2009 at 5:49 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Woohoo Bree - great race! You must drive your coach bizerk!!!
CONGRATS!

March 30, 2009 at 6:16 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Awesome job on the race and with your uber-super tired legs. I would have run in fear too if I was in front of an Olympian, loved the visual of you finally being able to catch your breath!...keep up the great work!

March 30, 2009 at 6:16 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Woohoo! Great race report and pics:) I am a 'follower' from Canada who is enjoying racing vicariously in the sun and warmth of Hawaii! I have got to plan my race calendar better and get some heat in the mix for 2010! Do you know of any off-road races in the area? I am an adventure racer so anything involving dirt...
TX:p
Sarah

March 30, 2009 at 6:47 AM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

Great to meet you over there. I really can't believe the wind. Hope it dies down sometime for you! Congrats on a great race after such a tough training week.

March 30, 2009 at 6:58 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

Good job totally playing down expectations for the race after a killer training week, and then absolutely destroy it!

You are a Rock Star, Bree.

If you want me to help you learn to run slower, let me know. I'm pretty good at it. -)

March 30, 2009 at 8:34 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Pace Shmace! You got the job done, right? I might be dumb, but wouldn't you be racing faster if you weren't taking so damn many pictures. Maybe your coach needs to talk to you about THAT. I love the SPAM tattoo. You know, SPAM comes from Minnesota. They have a SPAM museum. I should see if I can find you some SPAM shwag for you to train in. Great race to start the season. Now take a nap.

March 30, 2009 at 9:15 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Amazing race Bree - on such tired legs!!! Just goes to show how strong you are. Now imagine what will happen when you get to rest! Congrats! I hope you enjoyed your swim today!

March 30, 2009 at 10:13 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Sweeeeet!!!

March 30, 2009 at 10:35 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

Yeah...Congrats on 2nd. I loved you Spam tattoo! You are adorable!

March 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Great report! Thanks! Where else can I see so many good pictures? On your race day, I was struggling with a cold and trying to remain positive, despite knowing I was missing the opportunity to have such a lot of fun and be we so many great people. Anyway, I added a few cents to the piggy bank for that dream trip some time in the future.

March 30, 2009 at 1:46 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Great pics Bree and awesome report. Nice job!

March 30, 2009 at 2:16 PM

 
Blogger goSonja said...

Great pictures...macca...ahhhh.

Nice job on the race, especially after that demanding week. I really liked your shirt. Made me giggle.

March 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

WOO HOO!!! GREAT JOB BREE!!!! You did fantastic - welcome to your 2009 season - it's going to be a FABULOUS one!!!! :)

March 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM

 
Blogger Tonya said...

YAY!! Wahoo!!! Congrats Bree on a great race :) You go girl! Love the race report and pics :)

March 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM

 
Blogger rr said...

You are incredible!! Way to go out and kill it, after that huge week. Congrats!

March 30, 2009 at 8:54 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Congratulations to you and Antonio on your first race!!! You did awesome Bree, and will have a great year :) It was so cool to cheer for you as you were zipping by on your bike, you had an unreal bike split, and a super start to the year!!!!

March 30, 2009 at 9:53 PM

 
Blogger Adrian said...

Congrats Goood work.

/Adrian

March 31, 2009 at 2:11 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Awesome Bree.....Good way to open the race season eh ;) Love all the pics!!! St.C coming up...I am excited to follow you!!

March 31, 2009 at 3:16 AM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Awesome Race!

March 31, 2009 at 3:32 AM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Congrats on an awesome race!!!!!

March 31, 2009 at 4:12 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer Harrison said...

Bree! NICE job...way to kick off the season and even more impressive on tired legs! I am glad you had so much fun too! Heather is fun, isn't she? :)

March 31, 2009 at 6:53 AM

 
Blogger Chris said...

Awesome race, and nice pics!!
You rock Bree!!

March 31, 2009 at 5:09 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Fantastic pictures Bree!!!

Glad to see the Purple TNT singlets in some of those pictures. It is too bad our chapter does not do this race. I would have fundraised for it.

Congratulations on your finish and only letting Macca beat you by 16 minutes. That is awesome!

April 1, 2009 at 12:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home