Aloha!

Monday, March 16, 2009

My Long Distance Relationship...

I am here

My team mates are here

I have a confession... I am training LONG DISTANCE. No, not long distance like long runs, swims, and bikes, well, yes I am. BUT I'm talking about I'm in a long distance relationship with my team mates/training partners...

They aren't exactly with me every mile or gel of the way but they are there... while I was climbing Hina Lani repeats they were climbing some hill on the Hana Hwy. While my arms are falling off in Kona Pool they are losing their limbs in the Maui Pool. And their grass track repeats I tried to match solo on my Energy Lab repeats. We are suffering together because I make them come along with me.

While swimming I imagine Lisa and how much I dislike for her to lap me, so she swims with me. Then, that bike day with the boys and all my bike days I take Katya, she challenges me better than any chic I have ridden with. When I was getting dropped I told myself Katya would still be holding on, it spared me a few more miles. And on yesterday's run, all dizzy and dazed and confused I imagined Linsey running down Ali'i about to claim her top5 finish and I imagined her shoulder for shoulder with me yesterday. It got me through that run...and a few others...

Today I took the girls with me too. Today was a swim, 4x hill repeats on the bike, then a run off the bike and those girls all came. No excuses. When the eyes tried to cross I imagined they were here not quitting up the hill, in fact they yelled at me to suck it up cross-eyed princess! and it got me going...

That's my long distance relationship. Maybe they aren't really here but that won't stop me. You can't let the fact the people that make you your best might be far stop you. It's a given my best efforts come when I am training with them, I always get a little more out of it. So despite the fact we are an island away (I saw their island from my ride today) I have to cling to those painful moments when they are suffering with me to bring out my best...

Thanks chicas! Here... you can read their Maui Maddness (Katya, Linsey, Lisa, Maggs, and Heather), And while I'm at it, you all know Kevin Koresky from Finishline Mulitsports.com...right? if not check him out. He has Katya & I dishing some dirt if you want our wraps or interviews...

Find a training partner and make it count!

PS: It's national nutrition month (Marni told me)... check her out and fire off all your foodie questions to her, she eats that stuff up!

.



8 Comments:

Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

Hey cross-eyed princess....you retrieve all your "air mail" today!LOL!!!!

You keep drinkin that Kombucha crap and you will see more than just girls in spandex running & swimming with you.....

March 16, 2009 at 5:53 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Heh Bree,
Sounds like you have recovered if you managed to pull off that swim and bike, and even a run. Way to go!! Nice that you can keep your team mates on your mind for encouragement, and well, at least see the the Island they are on :)
Stay hydrated!!!!

March 16, 2009 at 7:21 PM

 
Blogger Randy said...

What an odd coincidence, I'm just now watching an old movie called "Harvey" where a guy has an imaginary friend who resembles a six-foot-tall rabbit. (not sure if he's wearing spandex and running though ).

So I guess if we see you out training and having a conversation with yourself, we'll assume everything is OK, you're just talking with your training partners.

March 16, 2009 at 8:51 PM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Awesome interview!

And good luck with the long distance relationship, I suppose this is like any other - tough but worth it in the end!

March 17, 2009 at 2:18 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Agreed - Great Interview! You talk WAY more than Katya. Imaginary training buddies - I have imaginary training locations (usually somewhere warm.) Way to get back on the horse after a little break to rehydrate.

March 17, 2009 at 3:30 AM

 
Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

Isn't good to have your friends "with you" when you need them. What ever makes your workouts more pleasurable.

March 17, 2009 at 6:38 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Looks like you are really happy right where you are :) Thanks for the help on your blog! :)
-marn

March 17, 2009 at 1:10 PM

 
Blogger allyson said...

Great job with mental part of training and picturing your teammates by your side. Knowing you have people by your side and on your side is the biggest help.

March 17, 2009 at 2:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home