Aloha!

Monday, March 23, 2009

Recovery Cookies...


My mission this week is to do more than SURVIVE, it is to FEEL good. Solo training the past few weeks has been more than intense. No lie, it hurt. This week my team and coach are here to tackle the next 2 weeks with me. It should hurt more. That means recovery is top priority! No doubt I LOVE these training blocks, literally I eat this stuff up.

Up this week:

Monday-swim/ride
Tuesday-Open water long swim/bike intervals/run
Wednesday-Ride up Kaloko (that huge hill Lance just did)-track workout-masters swim
Thursday-Open water swim-run MOST of the Hawaii Ironman course
Friday-Swim-bike the Ironman Hawaii course
Saturday-ride with pick ups-help with the keiki triathlon-swim open water-run
Sunday- RACE LAVAMAN- 90 minute spin

30 Hours of FUN!

I am so excited! Excited because my team & coach are here to do this with me, excited because I love when my training weeks are BIG ones, excited because I LOVE Lavaman Triathlon, and excited because there is a BIG opportunity here... lots of them... but one I need to work on...

My opportunity, one I have been working on the past few weeks is "finding ways" to keep going, to go harder and faster when it hurts. To deal with mental and physical pain in new ways and work through everything possible in training, that way come race day I am no stranger to discomfort and I will have a bunch of ways to keep moving forward when the body wants to nap and the brain is wondering how it will even take another step.

Okay, back to the cookies... I spent a ton of time racking my brain on recovery tips, tricks, and toys to help me make it through in one piece. Kainoa & I created something totally yummy that takes no sugar and no fake anythings. They are so easy too (he pretty much did it all but the stove stuff). These will be on hand post workout to quickly get the muscles recovering and ready for training session number 2 or 3 of the day...

Here is the recipe:

Coco Caribbean Cookies

Totally inspired by a wonderful friend from El Caribe de Costa Rica

2 cups of dates (no pits)
1cup of coconut shreds (no added sugar)
1 cup of walnuts
1/2 lime freshly squeezed (just the juice)

Process all the ingredients in a food processor till they begin to "clump" together. Roll into cookies. Bake at 350* for 7 minutes. ENJOY!

Happy Training AND Recovery!!

.



23 Comments:

Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

I'll take any left-overs!!
Off work Tues & Wed...
hope to c u soon!
Cheers

March 23, 2009 at 8:02 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Another great recipe. I think I could even tackle that one, if someone also helped with the stove part :)
I could not tackle your week of training though. Once again my hat is off to you for your hard work and dedication. I know in Kona it must be hard to taper for a race when it is so awesome here. I see your goal is not a taper week, so I hope you reach all of your goals for the week and a few recovery cookies as well.

March 23, 2009 at 8:58 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

Those look awesome. I'm going to make them and try to pass them off as cookies to my dad when I'm home next weekend. Thanks for the recipe.

March 23, 2009 at 10:08 PM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Yum! Anything with walnuts... and I'm totally there!

March 23, 2009 at 10:10 PM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Yay! You have a team! AND COOKIES! Talk about being a pro - race THEN train on Sunday. Have a good cookie-fueled week!

March 24, 2009 at 12:10 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

They look delicious.

March 24, 2009 at 1:05 AM

 
Blogger Danielle said...

That sounds SOOOOO yummy! I am going to try them! But since my training is about half of yours, I might not need to recover as much! Hope that all is well for you!

March 24, 2009 at 1:14 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Gah, I need to get a food processor!! Always looking for yummy ways to recover from my workouts.

Good luck this week in training and at Lavaman!!!

March 24, 2009 at 2:01 AM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

YUM! Thank's for sharing the cookies! I'm always looking for something quick and easy like that after I train!! Can't wait to try them out :)

March 24, 2009 at 2:04 AM

 
Blogger sallyaston said...

Those cookies sound great and easy! I'm amazed with all the training you do that you have time to think about cooking/baking! Looks like an incredible week ahead! Enjoy :-)

March 24, 2009 at 3:08 AM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

I am going to HAVE to try those cookies - they look devine!!!

March 24, 2009 at 3:11 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Mmmm, I think me and the lil guy are going to make those this week. Thanks for the recipe! Have a fantastic week with your teammates and coach and race:)

March 24, 2009 at 5:33 AM

 
Blogger Shan said...

I love dates!!! I'm definitely making these cookies TONIGHT!!! :)

March 24, 2009 at 7:01 AM

 
Blogger Amy Beth Kloner said...

Hey Bree- my mom and I make a really good no sugar/no bake apple pie that uses coconut, crushed walnuts, and dates for the crust. Similar. It's delicious and VERY sweet. These sound awesome too.

Knock it out this week and good luck on Sunday!

March 24, 2009 at 8:36 AM

 
Blogger JC said...

Ohhh, the cookies looks delicious!

March 24, 2009 at 8:50 AM

 
Blogger beth said...

holy moly - 30 hours of training...so excited you have your team and coach there with you.

the race should be a blast- although your legs might possibly be a little unfresh from all the training- i bet those cookies will help!!. my first race is sunday too! i'll be thinking of you out on the course and thinking that i bet you're going harder so i need to suck it up, have fun, and go fast :)

March 24, 2009 at 9:24 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

At first I thought there was bacon and potatos in those cookies! haha. Given how INCREDIBLY, INSANELY BOMB you Banana bread turned out, I may just have to make these too. I will be in Kona in 2.5 days and can barely wait!!!

March 24, 2009 at 10:53 AM

 
Blogger ckotte said...

Good luck at the Lavaman race! That was one of my very first triathlons...many many pounds ago....and ages ago. Kids race is awesome as well.

I remember having to pull one of the team in training folks out of the water because she "freaked" out at the depth and clarity a day before the race...Funny story..she was actually part of a relay and was the swimmer....she planned on swimming backstroke! Glad no one drowned that year.

March 24, 2009 at 11:13 AM

 
Blogger allyson said...

Great to have your teammates with you on a hard week of training. A lot easier to stay positive. Cookies look very yummy

March 24, 2009 at 1:27 PM

 
Blogger Damie said...

Bree- I LOVE it when you post recipes. I make the banana muffins all of the time! thanks- I needed a cookie one!!!!!! and great luck this week and with the race.

March 24, 2009 at 2:11 PM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

ahhh...Lavaman. I'm sad I'm not doing it this year. really really sad. That's my favorite race. It's been raining here for like 2 weeks straight...maybe more. Have fun!!!

March 24, 2009 at 2:46 PM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Yum!

March 24, 2009 at 3:53 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Now that's my kind of cooking! Check it out...only a few ingredients and very few steps. I'm on it!

Good luck with the week Bree!

March 24, 2009 at 4:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home