Aloha!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Slow Dancing With Juan, Racing the Girls, Swimming With Fish, & Going Green!

Most of the group at the top of Kaloko...

Pre climb...

This mornings ride was nothing like yesterdays intervals with "Antonio", that was full on fast paced salsa dancing! Today was a slow dance with "Juan (the road bike)". It was the monster climb from hell. The Lance Armstrong climb that took him 47 minutes to tackle the 6.5 miles. We started from town, warmed up to Hina Lani, then climbed Hina Lani, then on to Mamalahoa, then to Kaloko for the 6.5 mile journey UP, UP, UP and AWAY ...



Kaloko goes from 1500ft to 6000ft in just 6.5 miles, it has grades of 17, 21, and a few spots you might want to walk. It is absolutely beautiful, like a little rain forest. My best run time up it is 56 minutes, my ride time up it is 1:02 (yeah, takes me longer on the bike, maybe I should have walked my bike up a few spots).


The part-time local boys, Tom & Jaime!!

This climb feels a lot like a major bench pressing session. How much can the quads lift??? About the time mine fell off Tom & Jamie (some part-time Kona/Alaska boys) came flying down the hill as my team and I were going up. At that point I was more than thankful... something about the Kona boys, the locals, my bros just totally lifted my spirits. I begged them to turn back up the hill and finish the next 15 minutes with me. They did. About 10 of us in the pro camp started out together, but before too long we were all spread out on that hill. Once the Kona boys came along I had a little pack. I just loved them for that!

I love Juan, he loves hills...

Now to the down hill. Last year coach was cool enough to let me ride in the support vehicle down. (I have a serious phobia of down hills since a down hill bike wipe out a few years ago). This year he made me ride my chicken-self down it. There is this rule, no IPOD's allowed on team training sessions (we are supposed to be working together). I clearly let Coach Dan & Coach Paul know I would be solo, at the back, scared outta my mind down that monster...and if by chance I fly off my bike I wanted to die with my music... I put on the IPOD and let Koa'uka's "Take You For A Ride" get me down the hill. It was more scary than any roller coaster or cliff I have ever jumped off, in fact it would be safer jumping off rocks into the sea & surfing over shallow reef breaks than riding down that thing!

As I FLEW by the "slow down, reduced speed 35 MPH" sign I checked my bike speed, 64.8 and I almost had a heart attack! At that point I was praying my bike would magically grow a seat belt & airbag. I was having visions of a mongoose running across the road and me not having time to stop, literally I would fly if I hit something. Juan was such a trooper! Let me tell you that bike listens to every word you say and responds in a moments notice! Not to mention he actually enjoys going up hill... THANK YOU ARGON 18!






Off the bikes and instantly into a track session. First track session of the season for me & no doubt looking forward to it. We all had goal times for our "off the hill" repeats. The boys did their thing, the super moms & Bermuda gals had their plans, and then there was trouble (that would be us)... Maggs, Lisa, Heather, Katya, and I. Our little pack was just insane! The desire we all had to not let up, to hold on to each other, and make the session count was almost scary. The goal was 8x800 sub 3 min. on 4 minute send offs. The first 4 were no worries as I was making it with confidence. Round 6 was different, it hurt like a you-know-what and I came in on 2:59, my slowest one... At that point I told coach Dan my brain is struggling, I needed help, that everything hurt and I wanted to hold on but how do I shut off "this hurts, slow down" switch in my head. Only making round 6 by 1 second freaked me out. It was crazy that I hadn't failed, I was still sub 3, I was in the game to reach my goal, yet I was scared of failure, something that didn't even happen...

Heather grabbed my arm and told me to run with her (the woman can pace). Clearly she has so much experience, I just go out hard with an eagerness I can barely contain and blow up, then hope I can hold on till the finish line. Round 7 was better pacing off Heather. Round 8, last one, all of us girls fired up, ready to nail it, whatever is left in the tank. I started that last one with tears in my eyes because I wanted it so bad, I had to finish that workout feeling happy about the effort... lap one was great all being shoulder to shoulder and just gritting it out. Lap 2 Lisa and Maggs went off the front and there was no responding in my legs, then the head got noisy and I just kept telling it to BE QUIET, BE QUIET, over and over... I stared at the back of Heathers hair and did whatever I could to hold on. The boys were now done and ran across the track to cheer us on. Seeing the finish was the best sight at that moment. 2:57, I'll take it. Good enough to keep them all under 3 minutes. I feel like doing that workout again, just not off the bike... this little "hurry it up" in me is getting me in trouble on sessions like this...


Then bike home. Eat. Eat more. Legs up. . . and some GREEN RECOVERY!
When I tried the vegan thing (that lasted 19 hours) I got hooked on smoothies for protein. This one is choked full of good green stuff & protein.
  • 270 calories (300 if you add in chopped frozen bananas like I do)
  • 30 grams of protein
  • 13 grams of fiber
  • 9.2 grams of sugar
  • 11 grams of iron
  • 40 grams of carbs
  • 10 Amino acids
  • Omega 3's & a full day supply of all the nutrients in 7 servings of fruits/veggies
THEN swimming! THANKFULLY after the ride and run I would be at one of my most favorite spots... Kona Pool. I mean that. I really enjoy Kona Aquatics masters team and having my Lifesport team mates all jump in with my masters team was going to be good stuff. I got to the pool way early so I could sit on deck with Coach Steve and just get a little pep talk, he reminded me to breathe... he is pretty good about making me stay grounded, something I never want to lose when I get all wrapped up in triathlon.

Surprisingly the swim went REALLY good. It might have something to do with having Justin (he is BIG) and Lisa leading, they pull A LOT of water and I just took free rides all practice long. Oh don't think it was cake, I had to actually move my arms and kick to hang on to the ride! In fact I got a new 75 yard PR tonight thanks to the water flow from following those 2! Just when masters was over coach Paul tells us to swim till the pool closes and we get kicked out. Brent & Justin pull the train, we just follow, after 1,000 yards I lost count, my brain turned off, the moon came out, all I could see was stars, and I was hoping we would get kicked out sooner than later. 500 yards later we did. I was begining to think we would spend the night in that pool!

Once we got the green light to get out I GOT OUT. I don't even remember saying good bye to my team or getting in my truck. It was the fear that we might have to do a midnight run or something, I wanted to get home where I was safe from coach... till the morning anyways.

Fun times in store for tomorrow... a nice ocean swim (the only nice part will be the view) followed by a run in the sun that will cover most of the Ironman Hawaii marathon...

If you read ALL this, Many Mahalo's! Long post, I know, it was a LONG day... Happy Training!

.



25 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Sounds like a kick ass training day! Love all the pics! Does EVERYONE go through a vegan phase in their life? haha...mine lasted a couple months.

In other news, I just got back from 6 days of surfing at Playa Hermosa - epic. Going soon for a little longer :) I see why you love the place!

March 26, 2009 at 2:00 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Wow! Another amazing training session! LOVED the pics!

I'm seriously hoping that Heather can eventually instill some of that good pacing in me. I'm a lot like you... gotta go out fast. I feel the need, the need for speed... until I poop out too soon.

Rock that OWS today!

March 26, 2009 at 3:13 AM

 
Blogger TriGirl Kate O said...

Way to hang in there, Bree! That hill is a BEAST. I can't believe you were going over 60mph--that is just plain scary. Be careful... Please pass along my regards to Heather.

March 26, 2009 at 3:37 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

That was a killer day - I am a little envious. Except for the green smoothie - it sounds good, I think I would just shut my eyes and guzzle. And almost 65 MPH on the bike! I love that - I have never gotten over 60 but not for lack of trying, more for lack of hills. Sounds like the team is working well for you, keep it up. Keep an eye out for turtles today.

March 26, 2009 at 3:39 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

What a day! I loved the pictures! I felt like I was there. Way to go Bree (and Juan!). Great job!! OH - and I love the new suits. Those are so cute!

March 26, 2009 at 3:51 AM

 
Blogger Damon Steele said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 26, 2009 at 3:52 AM

 
Blogger Damon Steele said...

64mph?!!! There would have been a lot more than just chamois butter in MY shorts! Way to hang!

March 26, 2009 at 3:54 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I've biked down Kaloko a few times, but I never went very fast (I had the brakes almost full on most of the time). Thanks for the link to your bike sponsor. I hope to check them out fairly soon when I am less busy. They are within 2 hours by MTB from our house (in Quebec, LOL!).
I hope you and your friends are all doing Lavaman. With a few Olympians in it, it should be exciting. Hope you are rested up and have a great race.

March 26, 2009 at 4:18 AM

 
Blogger PJ said...

Hopefully you don't get get the urge to close your eyes when going fast downhill like I do - not exactly a good urge when going 64 mph. Amazing job conquering your fear - if someone told me I'd have to go that fast on a bike, I might just quit triathlon.

March 26, 2009 at 4:22 AM

 
Blogger Maria said...

Wow...great post...congrat's on reaching all of your goals today--way to get down the ginormous hill...

P.S. After reading your blog for well over a year now, and always seeing those great Splish suits...I'm finally get one! Very exciting ;o) Although, it takes a while to deliver to Canada...

Cheers

Maria B

March 26, 2009 at 4:39 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Totally amazing day! Thanks for sharing with us.

68+ mph on the bike? Couldn't do it. Proud of you though!

Way to gut out the run. You're a rock star.

Swimming until the pool closes...wow.

March 26, 2009 at 5:59 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

You inspire me to make every workout count. And 64mph!!!!! Bree - I was crying for you on the way down - that is just scary! YOU rock! :)

March 26, 2009 at 6:16 AM

 
Blogger Brent Poulsen said...

Awesome Work Bree, you lady's Killed that workout today!

March 26, 2009 at 6:59 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

FANTASTIC!!! Great job Bree - what an incredible day! You do realize, that you were biking down the hill at the same speed limit as most interstates... :) GREAT balance and what a bike! Sweet job with the track workout - 800s are tough, and you're totally right about having to "pace" yourself... ha ha, if that's the case. Way to hang on with the swim - you're going to be SO STRONG this year!

March 26, 2009 at 8:07 AM

 
Blogger IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Thanks for jumping on board. I remember as a kid I flipped at 50mph with no helmet. Lance Armstrong type broken collar bone and concussion. No fun. I like to keep it under 40 if possible in my old age.

Keep up the great work routine and blogging... it inspired me to run at lunch today.

Cheers!

March 26, 2009 at 8:09 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

hummmmmm looking at the surface of that track you ran on makes me think that is better for your legs. Less likely to get injured as apposed to a hard rubberized track. Am I right??
Cheers Chicka!

March 26, 2009 at 9:24 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

64mph!?!?!
From being a scardy-cat to flying down the mountain?! You are crazy Bree.

March 26, 2009 at 9:40 AM

 
Blogger Carolyn said...

Keep it up Bree - you rock !! xox

March 26, 2009 at 9:54 AM

 
Blogger Ryan Denner said...

Hey Bree-

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I DID IMLP last year - this year I am doing Race Across America (!!!).

Man, I wish my blog was half as cool as yours - so colorful and full of pics! Chat soon!

-Ryan

March 26, 2009 at 11:44 AM

 
Blogger Wet Hair, Warm Heart said...

You moms can kick some serious butt.

March 26, 2009 at 12:20 PM

 
Blogger Matthew Scott Austin said...

love your blog, and so does my wife, heidi....ya'll are two of a kind...you even both love mal pais...

anyway, what's the name of that green protein?

keep up the fun blogs and killer workouts!

aloha.

March 26, 2009 at 3:37 PM

 
Blogger BreeWee said...

Aloha Matt! Went to answer you on your blog but it's blocked, so incase you check back... the GREEN stuff is:
Living Harvest Hemp Protein (the green one, they make all kinds, its totally organic and raw, super GOOD fuel but expensive) & I mix it with Nature's Plus Revitalizing Green Foods (they also make all kinds).

And your wife must be totally cool, Mal Pais is AMAZING and to love that place you simply must appreciate the simple things in life...

ALL the BEST to you both!!

March 26, 2009 at 4:53 PM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

Good job Bree! I gotta do that Kaloko ride someday! up that is...

See you on Sunday AM pre race. I'm off work and volunteering and may take some video of you if you like.
cheers!

March 26, 2009 at 8:06 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

I never imagined you had that much going on in one day. And to see you and your team today running in the heat I was amazed. After reading your blog with your workouts from yesterday I am even more amazed. I am also scared as I read next week I am riding Kaloko in Lavacamp. I dont know how you do it, keep it up, great things are in your future!!

March 26, 2009 at 8:38 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Good Grief! That was all in one day? Oh wait, that's your job. You should be doing all of that.:0)

Saw your response on the green protien. I am going to see if my health shop has it. It looks interesting.

March 27, 2009 at 2:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home