Aloha!

Sunday, March 15, 2009

We Needed The Ocean...

Most the weekend was spent inside. We made forts, played cars, read books, danced to some Hawaiian Reggae, colored, made more smoothies than we could drink, and took long naps. It was the most time we have ever spent inside in a single weekend, ever. Cooping both Kainoa & I up created a disaster in the house. We had so much energy I thought we would eventually cause the walls to come tumbling down...

My eyes feel so unfocused, almost like they are trying to go cross eyed. They look to one direction only to spin back wards and fix their gaze in another direction. I am so thankful they are nearly back to normal and the light headedness (as if you just drank two balloons full of helium) is ridding my head. This is like nothing I have ever experienced before...

Having all this energy and not being able to see straight or stand up too long before falling over is just not fun. My plan was to avoid any sweating, any fluid loss, any electrolyte loss, and any sunshine... I was saving every drop of hydration I had as if it were the last on the planet! About 3pm today Kainoa and I could not take it any longer!


We needed the ocean! It really is the best medicine, the most perfect spot on Earth, the addiction that was going to cure me... so we went to the Acai Bar and waited till the sun was just about to set, then we ran across the road to the tide pools near Huggo's and played till we felt good as new...

We got our clothes wet, threw coconuts into the ocean, picked up the a'amas, and jumped from one puddle to the next in our slippers. The bit of sun that was left refreshed us...




The days are just too beautiful to be anywhere but near the ocean. This lesson in hydration put such a damper on the weekend. Over and over I replayed that long Tuesday. I never felt like I was bonking, in fact I had more energy than usual because I was taking in more calories and carbs than usual. I was drinking heaps and my body felt strong. Yes things got a little dizzy and the eyes felt like staring at each other rather than looking forward, a few tiny things but nothing too major. I just wanted to keep going...

Coach did the Math. He made me write down every calorie, carb, electrolyte I put in my mouth. Well, I did the Carbs and calories perrrrrrfect! I started taking Carbo pro so that is choked FULL of carbs and cals. Little did I read the lable that it's not a "sports drink" as in sports drinks contain electrolytes, it HAS NO ELECTROLYTES... here, read for yourself...

Here’s the math (you knew this was coming)…

Your sweat test showed that you lose 50mmol of sodium/hour. This translates to 1150 mg of sodium/hour.

Your training was 6.5 hours. 6.5x 1150 is 7475mg of sodium.

What is required for Bree = 7475 mg of sodium

What Bree took in = 1500 mg

You missed it by 6000mg or 400%

This is why you don’t feel well and you are severely dehydrated.

Coach

PS – A good side, you are tough as hell to get through a workout like this being this dehydrated and better now than in your races. Remember, there are always 3 things. Carbs, Electrolytes, and Water. Always do the math before you start your workout.

I am not sharing this note so you can laugh at me, I already kicked my ownself for the DUMB mistake, I am sharing this note in hopes it can save you from EVER making this DUMB mistake. I would not wish this on my worst enemy, dehydration can be such a serious thing and I am so fortunate to have made it out with just some weird eye spinning thing and fainty spells...

Drink up, salt up, and stay away from a weekend inside, they aren't that fun...





19 Comments:

Blogger ADC said...

You know I am so glad you posted this. Lesson learnt by all of us.

March 15, 2009 at 11:37 PM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

Wow- that is a good lesson to learn. I had no idea...Granted I don't do nearly an ounce of what you do, but I still have those dizzy spells- Electrolytes! (dumby me only drinks plain water, distilled at that!)
The ocean- it heals all, I agree!
Have a great week! Love you.

March 16, 2009 at 1:06 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Ewww, it's like you were grounded! YUCK! Glad you got outside!
Hope you are feeling better.

March 16, 2009 at 1:26 AM

 
Blogger Dave said...

Hope you feel better soon! I always forget the salt too, so thanks for the good reminder. :)

March 16, 2009 at 2:52 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

I'm also VERY glad that you posted this. Seriously salty sweater here... and I'm learning that I need more sodium per hour than I ever thought was healthy. What a difference it makes!

Ah... the ocean... I'm so right there with you. Of course, as you know, FL's Gulf does not a Pacific Ocean make (or a HI coastline). I'm totally swooning over that tidal pool!

So glad you are on your way to recovery!

PS- Will definitely be taking you up on some chillax-ing music. :o)

March 16, 2009 at 3:02 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Beautiful pics! Gotta get out for a little bit (not counting training hours) everyday to enjoy the outdoors. What a great day you all had..he's growing up so quickly!
-marn

March 16, 2009 at 3:40 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Ah the ocean - I will see it soon in FLA (or the gulf anyway) it really does cure what ails you. You really don't seem like an inside gal - you must have been going INSANE. I am glad I choose to learn painful lessons from others - thanks for taking one for the team (dehydration - don't do it, got it.) I mis-read your second sentence. I thought it said, "We made farts..." (Someday Kainoa will be doing just that.) Have a better week.

March 16, 2009 at 3:52 AM

 
Blogger runninggunner said...

Thanks for the post. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

March 16, 2009 at 4:14 AM

 
Blogger Natalie said...

Thanks for the lesson (but not that you had to actually go through it). But like your coach said, better now than in a race! Did it just seem so much easier when it was merely SBR the year you broke KM's record?!

I'm finding I must be one who needs lots of electrolytes. When I work out hard and don't take any in, I end up with a raging headache. When I do take some in for an hour after the workout, I am fine! Thank you for sharing your experiences and letting the rest of us learn with you.

March 16, 2009 at 4:16 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

that's just wild...I wish I could have a sweat test done on me like that. Good lesson to learn now, during training. I do hope you're back at it soon. I agree...weekends inside can make you bonkers...we know Alll about them here in Maine.

March 16, 2009 at 7:37 AM

 
Blogger Shan said...

The ocean is a huge part of my spirituality too - can't be too far away from it!! :)

Wow, that very crazy about the salt loss - I'm a "sweater" too, so I know that I have to take in lots of salt even on a reasonably cool day. I'm so glad you are ok - I always like mixing Nuun with my Carbopro...

March 16, 2009 at 8:10 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Thanks for sharing this valuable lesson with us. I don't think I've ever heard before what you experienced in reference to low electrolytes.

Hope your back to normal soon!

March 16, 2009 at 10:34 AM

 
Blogger Laura said...

I'm such a dork! I love that you know can figure out the math with the results of your sweat test.

I agree with your coach - Bree = Super Tough!

March 16, 2009 at 11:21 AM

 
Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

That is a hell of a lot of salt. But then it is much warmer out there than the here. I am feeling cooped here too. But then I did have my mother-in-law in town. LOL. Actually I really like her.

March 16, 2009 at 1:00 PM

 
Blogger allyson said...

Thanks for the reminder, I am so bad with eating and drinking, and should write a reminder on my arm.

Glad you got outside, the ocean does cure all and cant wait till Memorial weekend (thats when us east coasters have to wait till!).

Reading your blog truely keeps me motivatied and inspired, thanks.

March 16, 2009 at 1:58 PM

 
Blogger Ange said...

and I've never said this....but I HAVE to have the ocean too. I grew up on the coast of Maine and now live 1 hr inland. It's painful at times. But I get to the water Often. our family has a place on the coast and it's absolute therapy for me to spend time there. I love reading about your love for it...

March 16, 2009 at 2:56 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

oh bree...that's the pits. thanks for sharing a very tough lesson learned.

March 16, 2009 at 3:32 PM

 
Blogger Caroline said...

Bree,
Great to have coaches to calculate that stuff! I'm the worst at calculating calories, carbs, electrolytes out and in.
A few of my San Diego buddies had your site listed on their blogs, and since landing in blog world I've enjoyed reading your blog.
Feel better!!!

March 16, 2009 at 4:57 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

I know I am a salty sweat lick when I workout, but now you are convincing me that I neede to go get one of those sweat rate test done with the gross sweat blister on the forearm so that I really know my numbers.

Thanks for sharing.

March 17, 2009 at 3:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home