Aloha!

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Aloha From The Sunshine State!

Yep, back in Florida! I tried, I really did, I tried to move as far from Florida as I possibly could... like a 15HR trip away from home by plane & stop overs. Ahhh, but my awesome family keeps me returning! Every time Kainoa and I are enduring that LONG trip I say, "Never again". Yet here we are "again".

This time on the plane I said it and meant it...

In Kona no problem sitting Kainoa and I side-by-side. In Phoenix they would not put us in seats next to each other. No joke. I begged and pleaded, explained he is only 2 years old! They retaliated with, "Plane is full, sorry, should have changed seats on computer". I thought about giving them a taste of their bitterness by attempting to allow Kainoa a seat away from me, they would have come running, begging for forgiveness. The flight attendant stood in the middle aisle asking for volunteers to switch us... the excuses were hilarious! Everything from "Don't like aisle seats" to "I don't drink", were the reasons nobody would switch us. At that point thoughts of travel to Florida ever again were "NEVER"!

We finally got a less grumpy woman to switch us, she complained all 4.5 hrs of the flight about how bad the seat was though. Funny, they all looked the same to me.

We are finally here and I forgot all about it. My older sister did half of my run with me while my mom and the 3 little boys (Kainoa and his 2 cousins) chased us on the golf cart around the neighborhood. Talk about a GREAT support vehicle!


I also swam...
Swimming in the ocean NO PROBLEM. Swimming in an outdoor pool in Kona, not TOO bad, swimming in an indoor pool in Florida... OH MY GOSH! This would take major, MAJOR, major will power! To force the swim into action I got to the pool at exactly 11:55 with Kainoa in tow. I put him in the YMCA child care for 1hr. Only one hour because it closes at 1:00pm. That meant I would have exactly an hour to swim, to finish the workout. Swim as in swim, not swim as in float, talk, mingle, socialize on the wall, take 500 drink breaks, ask the life guard the pool temperature. I would have to swim the workout as if I love swimming in an indoor pool.

Let me tell you, that hour could be the longest blog post of my life, it was hilarious. I will end it there... my only warning is to never try not to socialize, it's dangerous! Finished the swim just in time to save Kainoa and life was good again...


After the swim Kainoa & I had lunch at Whole Foods, Kona should get one of those! Then to Fast Tracks Bike Shop. Just a little heads up, if ever in the Sarasota area and need a bike shop, they are wonderful! Really kind and really helpful... believe me, Nick & Bike Works are the only ones I let touch my bike so to say another place is good-I mean it.

Then I rode the bike. I would love to report that I felt AWESOME. However, I felt like I had been sitting on a plane for a long time and that I felt like an elephant sat on my legs and squashed me silly. It's okay, I have over a week till St. Croix to shake em' out...


Family dinner then bath time. That's a day in Florida for ya...

PS: If anyone knows this bridge near Tampa, WHAT IS IT and WHERE is it? Incredible, from the plane it looked a million miles long. How awesome to run over the ocean like that for a million miles!

Bed time.
Good night from Florida!



28 Comments:

Blogger GoBigGreen said...

The "bubble" kids are ADORABLE!! And now you know why i love seeing your pics of outdoor pools, the ocean...anything outdoor with water! Yup Indoor masters? My motto: Shoter the rest time, faster you are done!

April 23, 2009 at 3:36 PM

 
Blogger Damie said...

Bree- I still can't get over the fact that people would not trade with you for a plane seat. So insane- why are there so many grouches out there! hope you have a great week.

April 23, 2009 at 4:05 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Crazy dumb-@$$ people on the plane. That sucks! When we flew to Florida the plane was full and they were going to separate a man who looked like he had a mild mental retardation and his care taker/brother. The care taker asked the man in the seat next to his assigned seat if he would be so kind as to switch seats with his brother since his brother could not sit by himself. You would have thought that the care taker had asked the man to get off the plane and take the next available flight. He ranted about having to move from his front row, aisle seat to a middle seat in the back. He had been teasing his coworkers on the same flight about what crummy seats they had compared to his.

What a jerk. HA! The karma wheel sure did spin around for him.

Oh, that bridge near Tampa could be one of two bridges and I cannot really tell from the picture.
From the airport, it is the road that you take out to Clearwater, Florida. That bridge travels east/west Or it could be the Bay Bridge that travels north/south. The bike course for the IM 70.3 Worlds goes over it. I don't know if you could run those. There is a shoulder, but a lot of vehicle traffic on both bridges.

April 23, 2009 at 4:24 PM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

That is the Howard Franklin Bridge that goes from Tampa to St. Pete. When I first moved to Tampa I would be driving along and see the sign "Check gas - long bridge" CRAP!! I missed my freaking exit and got on this long ass bridge again! Seriously - that would happen like once a week!!

April 23, 2009 at 4:26 PM

 
Blogger Amber Dawn said...

Funny, when I was in Kona I said "if I could swim in the ocean I would swim everyday!" Instead we have a bathwater warm 25m dingy indoor pool. My willpower loses alot...

And next time people won't switch seats casually mention that your son has explosive diarrhea or projectile vomiting, or lice... those seats will open right up!!

Can't wait to see you eat up the beast in St Croix!!! (via Ironman live of course)

April 23, 2009 at 4:55 PM

 
Blogger Amber Dawn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 23, 2009 at 4:55 PM

 
Blogger D said...

Socializing at the pool? Not sure I've ever had that pleasure...

April 23, 2009 at 5:19 PM

 
Blogger Scott said...

Hi Bree,

Ok, I am not quite a stalker. I've just been reading your blog for about a year now...without ever making a comment. Anyway, so I'll be racing St. Anthony's this weekend and my hubby bet me I'd be too shy to get a pic with you. Of course I have to prove him wrong! So if you see some strange blonde chic approaching you this weekend, it's probably me. My name is Mary Bradbury. If it's any consolation, I am friends with Jen Harrison.

PS I love your blog!

April 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Yeah - I've driven that bridge a few times. The "Check your Fuel" always cracks me up!

People are stupid to NOT switch.. not very nice!

Great to be back in Florida! Ha ha - enjoy! You'll do GREAT at your races!! ENJOY the family, that's awesome that you guys are all together! :)

April 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

Me alegro que estes en Florida, espero tus cronicas y tu carrera.
Que dia compites?

Los problemas de los asientos del avion, te lo podrian haber solucionado en tierra ! y el la puerta de embarque llaman a los pasajeros afectados por cambio de asiento dandoles una nueva targeta de embarque con nuevo asiento asiganado ! Estoy cansado de hacerlo ! Trabaje en el aeropuerto de Bacerlona 2 años !! es solo tener ganas de hacerlo.

Disfruta mucho !!!!Que envidia !!
;-D

April 23, 2009 at 8:32 PM

 
OpenID damontucker.com said...

Bree...

I Love your blog.

Would you think about becoming one of the FBI Bloggers (From Big Island)?

http://fbiblogs.com

email me at damontucker@yahoo.com if your interested

April 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM

 
Blogger Brad said...

Bree,
you really have to explain to the losers on the plane that Kainoa develops a serious drinking problem at altitude when feeling distance frum mom.... he then gets seriassly belligerent and has been known to just take a wizz whenever and wherever he feels....
if that doesn't work, bring up the story of how he will not shut up about Snakes on a Plane....
best of luck this weekend!!!

April 23, 2009 at 10:03 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Those are some mean people on the plane. I know it's a long flight but a mother and 2 year old separated? Seriously???? You should have started being hysterical - bet that would work. Yeah, you are racing St. Croix. I will be there - so see you there. terribly, terribly worried about the Beast.

April 23, 2009 at 10:21 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Glad you are in FL safely. Well, if you can win one of the next two races, then after that you should travel first class on the planes, and not have to put up with all that nonsense. It's obviously important for you to arrive fresh for each race.

April 24, 2009 at 2:15 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Flying is nothing but a PAIN IN THE A$$! What is with people??? I don't get it, you HAVE A CHILD WITH YOU... so so bizaare the world we live in.

Enjoy the family! LUV the bath foam! :-)

April 24, 2009 at 3:27 AM

 
Blogger Runner Leana said...

Wow, I would have thought it was an FAA regulation that you couldn't have a 2 year old sitting on his own without a guardian. What does "I don't drink" have to do with it? At least you guys were finally able to sit together though!

Best of luck racing!!

April 24, 2009 at 3:42 AM

 
Blogger Kona Shelley said...

Hey Bree, my flight is leaving soon to be there too..Hope I see you out on the course, but I doubt it as my wave doesn't even go off until 8:40. Best of luck at the race and kick some butt!!

April 24, 2009 at 4:42 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

To the people who wouldn't trade you seats....SUCK it up if you are unhappy that a 2 yr old is having a BAD day. You could've offered your seat up and made the trip more pleasent for EVERYONE! Why are some people like that...that's just plain RUDE!
Ah - it must feel so great to be with your family though. The kids look like they are having a great time and sister time is the BEST:)
Cheers!

April 24, 2009 at 6:04 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Glad to see you motivated to get that swim in. :o) I haven't swam in an indoor pool since I lived in NJ; so I think I can understand your pain. There's just something about the sunshine that helps so much...

Can't even believe the fiasco on the airplane! He's just a little guy; can't believe that the airline would even let him sit alone. Geesh!

Rock it hard at St. Ant's this weekend... and enjoy every minute of it!

April 24, 2009 at 6:08 AM

 
Blogger IronBob said...

I think you received some comments on the bridge, but for my two cents, there is the Skyway Bridge that connects St Pete to Terra Ceia(that is the closest thing to the Gulf) and as was stated, you probably saw the Howard Franklin bridge which is the I275 route from Tampa to St Pete (this is in the typical flight pattern into Tampa).
Good luck on Sunday if I dont introduce myself.

April 24, 2009 at 6:13 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Bree,
Hiya! The bridge is either Courtney Campbell Causeway or Howard Frankland Bridge. You can run most of the Causeway, which is beautiful, but can't run (and wouldnt want to) on the HF bridge.

April 24, 2009 at 6:27 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Hey Tell Travis I said hello:) And also my little Madison will be there with Todd..you will have to get a photo with Kainoa and Madison together=cute:)
Have so much fun with your family:)

April 24, 2009 at 7:01 AM

 
Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

As much as I fly I see the grouches all the time and it has jaded me too.

Another 10 days and I will be in Maui, then the Big Island. I get to see Land of Bree. LOL.

Good luck in St Anthony's.

April 24, 2009 at 8:10 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

That is one packed day! I love the golf cart company on your run...I'm gonna have my mom do that next I visit her!!

Enjoy your trip!

April 24, 2009 at 11:05 AM

 
Blogger Mama Simmons said...

Wow. I'm so shocked that people wouldn't volunteer to switch seats to make a 2 yr old more at ease. What is wrong with people???
Looks like Kainoa is having fun now though. :) Good luck in St. Croix!

April 24, 2009 at 11:12 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Have fun tomorrow at St. Anthony's!

April 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie Corker Irwin said...

Confirmed - you and your sister look like, um, SISTERS! Your child is the cutest thing ever! And YOU scream BLISSED OUT on life!
God Speed..safe travels!

April 24, 2009 at 5:47 PM

 
Blogger beth said...

LOVE the bath! i can't believe st. croix is sooooo soon... you're ready!

April 25, 2009 at 3:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home