Aloha!

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Coach Paul is SO Lucky!

If you've been reading this blog for one year then you already know this... TODAY IS A GREAT DAY FOR COACH PAUL! It marks his 2 year anniversary of BEING MY COACH! I'm pretty sure he is in Canada throwing a HUGE celebration, tons of fun, lots of food, everyone jamming to some Island tunes! Yeah, the good life... being my coach!

This is how it started, me the 3rd grade school teacher, dressed in surf trunks, a bikini top with a sports bra over it, IPOD (actually at that time it was an MP3 player) blaring, front row of the local 10 mile race, pretending it's the Olympics. It's about 5 minutes till the start, Coach Paul "distracts" me by grabbing my arm. (he found out from the coconut wireless-the town of Kona) that I maybe had a tiny bit of talent and if there was some in me a coach was needed to pull it out. He was willing to help. He was so patient, wanting to ask me when a good time to meet was. Pretty much I blew him off because THE RACE WAS ABOUT TO START! (yes, I did think it would be cool to have a coach, but not in the middle of a local 10 miler!) So I told him, later, chat later...

Poor guy, he should have known right then and there to run far from the local girl.

We met up that week. He wanted to go for coffee, I told him no, I don't do coffee. (Another clue to run far from me). He had coffee, I had carrot juice. Soon he discovered not only would he have his hands full with me, but I also had a baby (I am 2x the fun!). Until that chat triathlon was something I loved, really loved, but also something so far out of reach beyond local races. I never saw beyond the Kona biathlons, the free swims, the few races we had each year, and the Peaman events. I rode a used bike that was too big for me, biked in t-shirts, ran in shoes that were blue because I thought blue was fast, knew nothing about what a shoe was really for...

During that chat Coach Paul asked me my goals for sport. I had lots. They were all centered around Kona... like running up Kaloko in under an hour, winning the Kona 1/2 Marathon, and one day racing the Ironman. By the time our chat was over Coach Paul had me believing there was a possibility I would one day be racing all over the world, that I could race as a professional, that I could stop teaching full time and begin training as an athlete full time. All of that sounded like a dream... a dream that I wanted to believe in with all of my heart. At the same time I knew that I was a new mom struggling to make ends meet...

He told me that if I was willing to trust him, trust the coaching, then it can happen... and it did...

Much of my beautiful life is thanks to Coach Paul. For the day he grabbed my arm and said "lets chat" to today, where he is still believing in me, helping make my dreams come true, dreams I never even dared to dream...

The morning of my first Ironman...

IM Florida, 9:26 PR and the first time I qualified for Kona as a pro!!

Still training in the bikini's (you can see the knot in my back where I tied it), not everything has changed since becoming a pro... Coach has TONS more work to do with me!

Thanks SO much Coach Paul! Cheers to another 2, 4, 6, 8, years of coaching me! Have a coffee on me, you're going to need it!

I hope everyone reading this can be fortunate enough to have someone in this life believe in you enough to give you the strength to believe in yourself...

.



21 Comments:

Blogger Oscarjet said...

Buenos dias desde la lluviosa España, no para de llover !!
Muy bonitas fotos y un gran tiempo 9:26 !!!
Siempre estas sonriendo en las fotos !Muy bien !! transmites energia !
Have a nice day !!

April 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Are you in the middle of some 12-step program and making amends? You have been very forthcoming and honest lately. Coach Paul is earning jewels in his crown in heaven for coaching you and he is probably working the Irish Coffee more lately. (I kid! You must be a blast to coach, you are learning so much and seeing the rewards - even though you refuse to pace, ha.) Happy Easter!

April 10, 2009 at 2:03 AM

 
Blogger IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Sorry when I worked IMFL this past year I wasn't following your blog. Would have been fun to meet you.

Keep up the hard work, and give thanks on this Good Friday for those that care (no matter what your religious convictions).

April 10, 2009 at 3:07 AM

 
Blogger Missy said...

I love to know where 'everyone came from' and how it all started for them. So fun. What a ride - I'm sure you can't believe it a lot of the time!

April 10, 2009 at 3:31 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Such a great story! I can totally see that conversation :-)

Coach Paul IS lucky!

April 10, 2009 at 5:22 AM

 
Blogger Maria said...

;o) I love to hear how much people are appreciated...and it's always amazing to have someone believe in you...(also, kudos for 'making peace' this week...I made peace in the pool last night...even while I could feel the days lunch in the throat...ewww). Luv your blog bree...have a great Easter weekend...

April 10, 2009 at 5:22 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

It does sound like you are attending a 12-step program of writing your confessions every day for 12 days. Anyway, I agree with you that your coach is lucky being able to train you. Two years ago I had never heard of him, but through your blog he is probably known all over North and South America at least. If you have a really good race this year, he will make it big time.

April 10, 2009 at 5:29 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

What a nice tribute Bree! The coach-athlete relationship is SUPER important, and you and Paul are working really well together! Cheers!!

April 10, 2009 at 6:23 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

Inspiring story. He obviously has a keen eye for talent, and the stomach for a challenge ;) haha. Maybe I need a coach so I can have a shot at keeping up with you next time I'm on island.

April 10, 2009 at 7:15 AM

 
Blogger D said...

I feel so blessed that I ended up with a coach who not only cares, but shows it (Marit knows!). The first was great, the second was a disaster, the third is juuuust right. Such an important "fit".

That said, I do feel bad for Coach P :P

April 10, 2009 at 7:21 AM

 
Blogger beth said...

such a great match! happy 2nd anniversary!

i feel soooo much like you starting out (just all the fun-having you do) and i wish i had a coach! too bad my grad school and internship don't pay coaching fees :)...maybe next year...i've seen how much progress you've made, and i don't doubt that you would have made it on your own, but maybe taken a little longer because there would be more "messing around".

like me, right now, i am on the trainer typing this. my workout? the VH1 workout- when they play a good video, i go fast. when its a crappy video, i do one legged drills and high cadence and type on the internet :)
coach paul, help me!!!!!

April 10, 2009 at 7:35 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

What a lovely post Bree - you two have awesome relationship going on.

April 10, 2009 at 9:41 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Sometimes you make me want to cry...what a sweet post, Bree. :)

April 10, 2009 at 2:17 PM

 
Blogger Mama Simmons said...

Great story! I remember seeing your race results several years ago at Lavaman and we were like WHO'S THAT?? She's FAST! :) Now of course we don't have to ask that question at all! Congrats on a great 2 years! :)

April 10, 2009 at 8:26 PM

 
Blogger Maijaleena said...

Great post Bree! It's so great that you were able to find each other. I think you would be great no matter what, but it helps to have a great coach to bring out the best in you.

April 11, 2009 at 2:20 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

HE is LUCKY :) I think you are a very talented athlete it is all ready in ya baby!!! BUT I am sure coach is great to have,,,,to keep you on the right path and it is always nice to have someone(coach Paul) to BELIEVE in you..that is what keeps you going when you feel your life is spinning crazy:)...BREE you have a lot of people who BELIEVE in you!! I am glad you and CP has an awesome connection and you two WORK :) I think he is a keeper!!

April 11, 2009 at 3:19 AM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Another great post Bree. I am glad that Coach Paul is still letting you drink carrot juice. It is a good mix of coaching, eating healthy and the determination that you have bringing those great results. So cool that Coach Paul picked you up as an athlete and believed in you. Now many bloggers are believing in you and most importantly it is good to see how much you believe in yourself :)

April 11, 2009 at 5:13 AM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Bree, you are so lucky to have a coach like that. Congrats and good luck on the upcoming season, I'll be voluntering at Rev 3 so I hope to see you out there.

April 11, 2009 at 12:55 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Hola Bree!
I have a teeny weeny favor to ask ... can you add an rss feed to your blog? That way all of your followers can get automatic updates when you update your blog with your entertaining posts:)
Check mine out fmi...
www.elmhealth.blogspot.com
Cheers!
Sarah

April 11, 2009 at 6:40 PM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Another amazing post! I wish more pros would write about "how it all started." Even AG folks like me never have the opportunity to get further than their local races, learning that pros don't necessarily come out of the womb with fins puts the 'human' quality back into things, ya know? :o)

April 12, 2009 at 2:14 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Hey Bree! Thanks for stopping by my blog:) OK so it is super easy to set up the RSS thingy cause I even figured it out ...

Go into your 'Settings' and look for 'Site Feed' it should be set to 'Allow Blog Feeds'.

And to make it super easy for your readers to synch your feed you can put a little 'Follow Bree Wee's Blog' button on your page using a gadget::
Go to 'Layout' and add a 'Gadget' look for 'Subscription' Links.

Phew! Just connect the dots...when you have time that is!
Cheers!

April 12, 2009 at 11:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home