Aloha!

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Lilikoi Kinda Day...




As of today all my team mates have officially gone home...

It's bitter sweet... I miss all the training partners & getting my rear-end kicked on a daily basis, at the same time I'm ready to bust out some rides & runs with the local Kona peeps (I missed them), it's an entirely different way of training.

This morning was a long warm up out to the Ironman buoy with Brent (he was the last to go), this would be my last "team scheduled" workout for a while. While swimming to the buoy I looked over, he was following EVERY instruction from the coaches, including bringing the tempo trainer. I was pretty much doing my usual Sunday swim. BUT I was keeping up on warm up so it wasn't a lost cause. Anyways, I looked over a few more times and I realized, REALLY good athletes aren't good because of just raw talent & hard work. They are always "focused" when they are supposed to be.

I decided to REALLY sincerely focus the rest of the way to the buoy... drills, back stroke, find my rhythm... do a good job... but then I saw a bike! I am not kidding! There was a bike about 500 meters from the Ironman turn! Under water! It was so old yet SO COOL! How did a bike get there??!!

It feels like only really distracting things like bikes at the bottom of the ocean only happen to me. Just when I was trying to be good something like a bike happens. I told Brent, didn't mean to distract him from "doing the right thing" but he had to see it! No foto, one day I'll snorkel back to find it with my camera!

Now to the buoy... the plan (I mean, "coaches orders") were to RACE in HARD EFFORT all the way to the beach (1.2 miles). I know what you're thinking... Sucks to be Bree, out in the middle of the sea ALONE because Brent would totally annihilate her in a 1.2 mile race! That's all true.

BUT I am REALLY smart... I HAD ON LITTLE BLUE FINS!!! ha ha Talk about snorkeling!! I promise they were super small fins, not the big snorkel kind, REALLY small kid fins!

1...2...3... go! We were off, neck and neck, I just want to keep up, maybe even score a draft WITH fins on! Then the bike! I kid you not, I saw the bike again and this time I was racing, full focus, Brent didn't see it, just me, so I tried not to look at it, seriously though, only I would see that thing 2x in a day!

A bit later Brent goes more out to sea and me (I know this swim like the back of my hand), straight on target! By now everything hurts (even with fins). So I kick harder. Then I think of how Brent McMahon (Lifesport team mate) beat Chris McCormack this morning in the 70.3, and how Lisa swam with the leaders in yesterdays 70.3, I tried to go harder (my team had me motivated)! Nearing the final stretch, no Brent, I might beat him (but remember I am in fins)... 23:25! Talk about a PR!!

Not even kidding! 4 seconds later Brent comes in! Can you believe he swam that thing in 23:29 with no fins, no draft, no markers, no "real" race, just him!? That's why I was smart enough to bring little blue fins for the race!

The rest of the day is hanging with my bud (he wanted lilikoi ice cream) and a run... I miss everyone from my team so much, it was such a great opportunity training with people that have SO MUCH knowledge in sport and so much experience, as the rookie of the group it was an honor to get whooped up on everyday too! Till they return... time for some training with the Kona crew and I can hardly wait! EXCEPT... there are no workouts on the plan for the entire week! Either coach has not updated them yet or he is giving me a week off to recover from this training camp! If it's a week off you better believe I will be looking for that bike till I find it!

Time for more lilikoi!!

.



17 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Yes, Bree - only you would find a bike in the ocean! Too funny. Well, I probably would too because weird stuff seems to happen to me as well.
I am glad you had a good week. Enjoy your upcoming week...you really think Coach gave you the week to recover? I'm thinking maybe not. :)

April 5, 2009 at 1:47 PM

 
Blogger Ange said...

oh your little boy looks so "grown up" in that picture!! (I know, I hate it when people tell me my boys look all grown up, it's sad.) But he looks bigger. :) He's so so cute Bree.
Too funny about the bike. I look forward to those pictures!

April 5, 2009 at 1:52 PM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Oh to have an ocean swim like that. I love the bike - I would never see it bc I swim with my eyes closed when they are underwater (long weird story) - Enjoy your "recovery" week.

April 5, 2009 at 3:31 PM

 
Blogger Wes said...

huh, I need some o dem l'il blue fins, and ice cream too :-)

April 5, 2009 at 4:15 PM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

no workouts on mine yet either. i'm kind of hoping he's too caught up in travel. haha. I got my butt whooped by 5 guys twice my size on my long ride but somehow I always managed back on the pack and hanging on and my legs don't like me very much because I also had a 2hr15min run this weekend. I think P is getting me confused with you ironwomen but I did it and enjoyed every minute. weird. The sun came out for the first time in weeks.

April 5, 2009 at 5:30 PM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

scratch that. it's updated till tues. lol. but tomorrow is a day off anyways :)

April 5, 2009 at 6:32 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Have a great week Bree, whether you get your workouts sent to you , or if you are out snorkelling :) I am sure you will miss Brent and your team on the workouts, they are a great bunch. Thanks for all of your help and comments,,, missing Kona ;)

April 5, 2009 at 7:21 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

How could you not get distracted with all that wonderful ocean world. And the bike ;-)

April 5, 2009 at 11:12 PM

 
Blogger Missy said...

I'm just glad to know that pros can zone out on the swim too - I'm usually making a grocery list! Hahaha!

Great pix, can't wait to see the bike.

April 6, 2009 at 1:26 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I just read that Lisa got 6th in 70.3 California. So all that training you have been doing will no doubt reap some dividends. I can't wait to hear how your next "real" race goes!

April 6, 2009 at 1:39 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Sounds like a truly fun day! Eat some ice cream for me (I'm not training nearly enough to deserve it)

April 6, 2009 at 6:33 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Wow, is that a Moray Eel in that first picture?

I cannot wait to see the picture of the underwater bike. When I was in Switzerland for the 70.3, we went over to edge of Lake Zurich to catch the view and when we looked down in the water, there was a bike laying at the bottom of the lake. It was weird. Did someone fall off the bridge? Did someone get angry and throw it in there? I took a picture of it. I will have to go back and look for it.

April 6, 2009 at 8:50 AM

 
Blogger MJ said...

Hey Bree! Just caught up on about 17 of your posts.... nice to be back at a computer!

Sounds like some killer training over the last little while! Good job!

I was pumped to hear about Brent's race too - Canadians are in fine form early this year!

Cheers!

April 6, 2009 at 9:34 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

OMG - I really don't know how anyone swims fast there. I would be stopping all the time to look at everything. Even diving down. Soooo beautiful!
Enjoy your "free" time.

April 6, 2009 at 9:58 AM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

Hello from Barcelona ! Spain !
I really like your site ! i like read your trainings and IM´s ..! Nice place to live and train Hawaii !!! amaizing.
i will visit you more !
good bye !

April 7, 2009 at 1:11 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Beautiful photo's...enjoy a little break Bree..go jump clifs and surf..play on the beach with K...enjoy all of it:) xoxox

April 7, 2009 at 8:22 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Hmmmm, now I am going to want to see the bike when I'm in Kona! :) Pictures are a necessity!! You have your work cut out for you on that one - good luck!! ;)

April 7, 2009 at 2:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home