Aloha!

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Old BAD Habits...

Hurry back to the pool Coach Steve, I miss you!

Guilty as charged! After nailing my last few weeks of training & even stepping it up a notch by recruiting back-ups to keep me honest during intervals, bad habits haunted me, BIG TIME!

It started in middle school. Until 6th grade I was one of those REALLY good kids that got the "Perfect Attendance" award at the end of every school year. I went to school no matter what! It was like a game, I had to win that perfect attendance award, walk across my school stage and grab that thing like gold! My mom still has them saved in scrap books...

Then one bright, sunny day in 6th grade my aunt picked me up early from school, my sisters too, and we went to play volley ball on the beach with her hot boyfriend (now husband). That started it all... the end to perfect attendance...

My "little habit" started out simple... things like taking the class attendance down to the office and running messages for my teacher-I would take the long way, stop in the bathroom, just do little things to take up some class time. Then it grew. When one of my sisters stayed home from school I would too, if they were sick I was. Then I faked head lice in 8th grade. If you are caught with head lice you are sent home, totally embarrassed, no way would my mom want me humiliated, so I stayed home and washed my hair with lice shampoo. Finally, the substitute teacher thing. I discovered that when there is a sub nothing important happens (so I thought). If I knew my teacher would be out I would tell my mom there would be a sub and we were going to watch movies all day. Mom agreed that was a waist of time so I could miss school those days.

Once to high school my "little habit" grew like wild fire! It began with skipping lunch with Al Yoder, we would sneak off campus and get real food. Then my older sister got a car, that was very bad. She was a senior and had only like 3 classes a day so when she left school for the day I would tag along. Then I got a car, and a surf board, and a bunch of cool surfer friends. Again, when we had a sub, I was OUT OF THERE!

My senior year I missed 42 days of school. That is the maximum number of school days you can miss before being retained. I was very good with my calculations, I knew I could miss 42 so I missed 42... I was an official beach bum. When the waves were up and a sub was in class no school for me. I became VERY good at forging my moms signature and making notes to my teachers...

College I began to change my habits. I realized "what you put in you get out". That's when I learned about this thing called balance. Truly, I got really good at balancing school with fun. Life with love. Work with play. And then I became a teacher myself and for 5 years I was back to my "perfect attendance". No matter what I went to school. Even pregnant with Kainoa, when I was sick with severe morning sickness, I went to school. My poor students used to watch me barf my brains out in the grass during PE and in the trash can during Science lessons. I could not miss a single day of school no matter what!

This week I am learning that it might take more than 2 years (that is how long I've been training with coach Paul) to take a beach bum and turn her into a world class triathlete. Poor coach Paul.

Monday started out with me running into the pool deck all ready for Masters. Coach Steve was not there... he had hip surgery. Coach Steve is ALWAYS there and that is the only reason I am ALWAYS at masters. I was tempted to get out (we had a sub coach). But I stayed in. It was so hard, literally it was not the same. My brain kept saying to get out but my passion for triathlon kept saying to stay in. Others got out, others never even got in!

Today was hard. 12 miles with 8 of them at 1/2 marathon pace & Kainoa went to his dads (I lose a little balance when Kainoa is not with me). Then the surf came up. Ooooooooh Breeeeeeeeee.... I knew Coach Steve would miss tonight for recovery. So I went to the beach. Rob told me to get in. I knew if I got in I would not get out because there is nothing more fun than surfing sunset and I would certainly skip swim practice tonight because the run killed me and Kainoa was not home. I sent text messages to my friends saying "surf check, surf or swim" Only one friend wrote me back, he said, "are you rubbing it in". What did that mean?! I wanted someone to tell me "Bree go swim"! Then I wrote a message to Coach Steve literally telling him that Monday was hard without him and I might skip swimming tonight. (I was hoping he would write back telling me to get my butt to the pool).

I put on my favorite bikini, got my board ready and sat there...hmmm... swim or surf. Then I thought to myself how surfing is so much like swimming! Not really but I was trying to justify it... It is SO HARD for me to swim without my coach on deck (hence the reason coach Paul no longer has me doing solo swims). A sub coach on deck, yikes... One more email check hoping Coach Steve wrote back telling me to swim, one more phone check hoping a text came telling me to swim, only thing that came was a lovely phone chat with a friend in Costa Rica telling me the waves are head high and they wish I was there, and Juan got a new job, and to look at his foto:
Oh man! He got a new board too! Surf or swim? I was wanting so bad to break this habit, I got in my car, in my bikini...

AND I WENT TO SWIM PRACTICE!

Bet you thought I was going to say I went to the beach...

I got in the pool (even with the sub coach) and I swam. I swam MOST of it. I wish I could confess that I am a "Type A" triathlete that never misses a mile, a minute, a lap, or a beat of the heart rate monitor... I try, I really do, and I love triathlon as much as those never-miss-a-mile people, but I got out. I skipped 700 yards of the swim. I'm not a total surf bum anymore, in fact I love what I do, so much that I ratted myself out to Coach Paul... I told him I got out early...

Looks like tomorrow I'm serving detention...

.



16 Comments:

Blogger rr said...

Bree, we would have been trouble in high school! I had a hard time going too.. good thing I wasn't still in Florida with you!

You are so good for going to swimming.. I saw lots of Coach Paul this week and he's proud of you, I know it!

r

April 8, 2009 at 10:31 PM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

Hola Bree ! te escribo en español para que practiques cada dia un poco...! :D
Muy buen post ! yo hubiese apostado por que irias a la playa a practicar surf !!! pero hiciste bien de ir a nadar !
Donde yo vivi las olas nunca llegan a 2 metros de altura ...nunca he hecho surf pero me gustaria mucho !!! quizas algun dia....
Un saludo ! take care !!

April 8, 2009 at 11:28 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Well done Bree - good decision. I knew I would have gone surfing ha ha.

April 8, 2009 at 11:29 PM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Oh man... tough, tough decision... and you made the right choice. Bravo!!!

April 9, 2009 at 3:44 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Reminds me of my senior year in high school. We would skip to go water skiing (MN has lakes - no ocean here) the week after the ice went out - yes we had wet suits, yes it was still UNBELIEVABLY cold. You are getting to be such a responsible, big girl - way to go swimming and way to be honest with Coach - NOW NO TALKING IN DETENTION!

April 9, 2009 at 3:45 AM

 
Blogger IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Way to go!! With so much temptation, you made the hard,right choice

April 9, 2009 at 5:01 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Good on you for going to swim.
Dentention today = no fun though
OMG - I skipped most of Senior year and spent it water skiing and roller blading and convinced one of best friends to hang out with me during those times. Sitting in a HOT classroom in the spring summer time when the weather is soooo beautiful and you know you've already graduated that is tough:)

April 9, 2009 at 6:04 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Tempting...very tempting.... I've never been a surfer BUT - it looks absolutely fantastic. One of my favorite things about living along the coast is running at sunset and seeing all the surfers on their boards - saying farewell to the sun. It's really touching. I could totally see why you would go... But I'm really proud of you! Nice work in the pool!!!

April 9, 2009 at 7:42 AM

 
Blogger j-mo said...

haha.. i think the wkout was a favourite theme of Coach P's for yesterday. I had the same:
8xmi @ 1/2 pace
ps.. it also kicked my @ss for today so dont feel bad!!

April 9, 2009 at 7:46 AM

 
Blogger Natalie said...

Way to go with the right decision! The combination of your training and your heart for the sport will be a deadly combination to your opponents this year.

April 9, 2009 at 10:51 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

Oh crap I was the one who started your "Bad Habit?"
I remember that volleyball day... thanks for the great story. I think it was inherited... all our family is like that!
Love you-

April 9, 2009 at 11:28 AM

 
Blogger Tritim - Triatlon Rosario said...

hi bree!
i´am from Rosario, Argentina

your blog is AMAZING!!!!!

KISSES
german

April 9, 2009 at 12:46 PM

 
Blogger D said...

I think I had 42 absences just in one class which was only half the year! Ummmm... ya. Amazing that I graduated highschool - particularly with the good grades I had. I'm an AMAZING bs'er ;)

April 9, 2009 at 4:40 PM

 
Blogger IAN said...

Get in the pool!!

April 9, 2009 at 6:55 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I skipped high school a lot in my last year, like leaving shortly after early afternoon registration so that I was recorded as being there when I wasn't. All part of the process of growing up I guess.
I hope Steve-O is well and will make a full recovery. If you think it is difficult to get motivated when your heroes are not around, then it is all the more difficult for me. I guess I just have to train in my own little world and just do my own thing.

April 10, 2009 at 5:12 AM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

Ha, I was the nerd that never skipped class even on Senior Skip Day. Good decision to go to swim and you are taking corrective action to rat yourself out to your coach.

Remember, each workout is a deposit in your triathlon fitness bank account. The more deposits you make, the more you can withdraw on race day.

April 10, 2009 at 6:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home