Aloha!

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Race Numbers Please...

I'm on like the 3yr plan on becoming a runner. Actually, I once read that Barb Lindquist's coach said it takes something like 7 years for the body to really become a runner. To adapt to the impact, the transformation your body goes through from baby fat to lean machine, and just taking that physical conditioning and making it part of your body's routine in life... If that's the case then I got time. But I want it now. It frustrates me. I work so hard on my run (okay I start out so fast and hope to hang on during my runs). Ahhhh, the process...

Being that it's a process and I am on the start of year 3 of a real training program with my coach I did a little review, to see if there was any progress or if I am STILL just "go-hurt-fall over" (my favorite move). The plan was 5x2 miles on my 13.1 off the bike pace. Hmmm... okay...sounds easy, only 10 hard fast miles. I looked back on my training from this time last year. Coach had me do this set as 10x1 mile on 6:20 or 6:30 pace last season. Back then I thought that was SO HARD. I remember, I ran it with Cody. If today had been that workout NO PROBLEM. Only a mile, then rest, and that pace, nice.

Today it was 5x2 miles at 12:30. I know, I know, only a 15 seconds a mile difference, but that was a big gain for me in a year. Since this is my "job" I needed to suffer. Slap a race number on me because I was suffering!

Luis De la Torre got the invitation. He had a 15 mile run on his plan that included some 5:30 pace tempo stuff, I convinced him this would be easy for him, and it was, so he played my rabbit. Luis wore the Garmin and ran the miles at exactly 6:15 pace. He even talked all through it like it was his easy day. Whatever Luis. Just wait till the 7 years kicks in I will run you into the ground!

Round 1. Slight hill climb, Bree races up the hill, Luis is behind Bree. Nice. I feel SO good, I am thinking "Why did coach make my effort so easy". Still slightly in front of Luis (remember he is the rabbit, wearing the Garmin, running EXACTLY at 6:15). Luis tells me to think about the fact I have to do this 4 more times. It feels so easy, he told me to embrace that easy feeling, know it, learn it, let the body really own it. I owned it, I started out sub 6 (he said).

Round 2: I WILL STAY NEXT TO MY RABBIT! I ran next to Luis, it still felt so easy. We chatted, he worked on my form, reminding me to loosen my shoulders and breathe. Nice. perfect 12:30. That includes the hills, he taught me to give up a few seconds climbing so I don't kill my HR and then how to make the time back...like speed up without racing...

Round 3: Half way through I ask if he is feeling it, I'm feeling it, this is now 5 miles of Kona sunshine running. Luis tells me to relax, then as we approach other runners and pass them he names them girls I race against... I'm laughing... feeling it but laughing. I feel kinda proud running with Luis, like "Yeah, I'm keeping up". Hold on, hold tight, breathe... People drive by honking at us, it gives me the ooomph to finish round 3 strong.

Round 4: Now my head is spinning, legs feel like they are clanking together, I forget to breathe, HR is up there. Luis gives me a pep talk (I knew I invited him for a reason). I count 14 big white pick up trucks go by (not kidding), one of them waves, ha ha... I laugh... that helped round 4 pass by quick, real quick, like I am ACTUALLY MAKING IT quick.

Round 5: Did we even get a minute rest between intervals on that one??? It was go time and up a hill (6:15 pace is kinda hard up a hill I discovered). Luis the rabbit is right on pace and for the first time I get behind him, I copy what he does, when he moves I move, I don't even think, just copy his legs and arms. We turn-it felt like we were on a darn merry-go-round. My head got so dizzy I almost fell over. Now Luis is in front of me, like a car length in front. Honestly, I did not just run 9 miles to lose this workout on the last mile. I had to find a way to get back in the game... up a darn hill too... part of me says, "who cares, it's Luis, he runs 5 min. pace for breakfast, let him go, do your pace". WELL DUH! He was running my pace, he was helping me, running exactly MY pace from coach, not his. That was my pace... I had to get back on... now a half mile left... up that darn hill, get next to Luis, he is saying all this motivational stuff, we are now racing, it was NOT 6:15 pace (I'm now wondering if any of the finishing miles were, I have a feeling he was pushing the pace), I beg him to tell me how much longer, he didn't say "shut up and run" but that was what he told me, he just ran harder and I just ran harder and then he stopped and said, "good job".

I collapse, he keeps on jogging. On the side of the road I found 50 cents. PAY DAY! That's exactly what this workout was for me, a pay day, put that in the bank and withdraw it on race day!! I tried to run, really I did... we ended up walking/talking for a while. I pick his brain on everything running, everything I ever wanted to know. Then Greg (a local working at the restaurant) asked why we are walking (like HELLO, LUIS NEVER walks). Then we jogged.

Really, the next time I ever do that I hope it's in a race, with a race number on. Finishing that required someone taking off my timing chip and telling me where the massage table was. (at least that's how it felt to me). Instead I got swim practice...

NOW, if you want to see some real speed watch this. It's Ryan Hall prepping for Boston! His final 2 miles was 9:15!! YOUCH! He is one of my hero's in sport... check him out... Here watch it, its FAST and inspirational: Ryan running.


.



12 Comments:

Blogger Oscarjet said...

Nice pic ! hehehe.
I think if you run faster you break the sound barrier !!
Me voy a rodar 80km con mi bicicleta !!! see you !!

April 15, 2009 at 9:41 PM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Nice work! Was kinda hoping you'd say one of those white trucks that passed was the Hawaiian fire dancer :)

April 16, 2009 at 1:14 AM

 
Blogger Missy said...

I'm with Amanda, I want the fire dancer back;) Been thinking about that...I'm a firm believer in timing. I don't care if you meet the love of your life, if the timing isn't right, it will never be. I also think there's way more than one person for us in this world, so much for romantic!

Holy Ryan HAUL, 9:15, yep, just as I thought, he'd lap me in the first mile!

Way to go on the improvement from last year. 15sec is HUGE (in my book).

April 16, 2009 at 1:37 AM

 
Blogger IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

If you will remember my previous post concerning taking the easy way out and training at what you are already good at, I'm glad you are focusing on the run, because girl, your bike is already kick ass.

April 16, 2009 at 2:57 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Totally awesome Bree! You are such an inspiration! When I'm tempted to wimp out on my bike this morning I'm going to think of YOU!

April 16, 2009 at 4:11 AM

 
Blogger Running~Jordan said...

run tonight for me, I will think of you and imagine my own Luis :)

I think all the white trucks had fire dancers inside...

April 16, 2009 at 4:49 AM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

It is official, you are my new favorite Blogger. I love your writing and inspiration.
From a first time tri guy
www.loveandtwowheels.com
I am doing a half in St Croix 5/3 only second ever event. Any advice?

April 16, 2009 at 5:13 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Great job on the workout! Yeah - that Fire dancer was really something... I liked Missy's comment :) Oh - and Ryan Hall. Simply incredible! I've watched the video twice and think that its amazing. With workouts like this Bree, you transcend beyond what is possible into the impossible - bravo!

April 16, 2009 at 6:21 AM

 
Blogger D said...

I watched that video yesterday before work... made me so tired just watching it that I wanted to go back to bed. The pace is stupid and I can't quite understand it.

Your pace, on the other hand, I do understand because once upon a time I could run that fast (uh... not for that long though!). Now just reading about running that fast makes me want to sit on the couch with a chocolate bar. OH LOOK... a chocolate bar!

April 16, 2009 at 6:40 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

KA-CHING!!! KA-CHING!!!

In da bank baby! Build that investment portfolio! You were very wise to invest in some Luis stock. It is only going to pay off big for you Bree. It sounds like you learned to be frugal with your speed early on so that you can still have some gas in the tank near the end of the set.

Way to go!

April 16, 2009 at 6:55 AM

 
Blogger MJ said...

These blow by blow workout reports pump me up.... keep it up!

Cheers,

April 16, 2009 at 7:51 AM

 
Blogger Cy said...

Bree-You're a machine. Keep up the amazing work and killer mental strength, and like you said, the payday will be there!!

Looking forward to cheering for you at St. Anthony's!

Cheers :-)

April 16, 2009 at 12:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home