Aloha!

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Some Things Never Change...

Today was the 15th Annual 10 Mile Mosey here in Kona... it's my favorite Peaman event EVER! A few weeks ago I begged coach to work the race into my training plans. No, a big fat no. I race too much, I have 2 races back-to-back starting next weekend, I need to get through another hard training block, no. I let it go. Thinking I would be a cheerleader for the race I worked so hard all week & smashed myself silly into yesterdays group ride and some intervals off the bike... no need to save energy.

Last night I could not stop thinking about the race and having to miss it, again. No-go last year either, it just never fits into my training/racing. I figured everything is worth one more try, so I called coach with a BIG PLEASE... after warning me my legs would not be there and he did not want me to call him crying post race about my time, he said yes, as it holds lots of opportunity...

1. Another chance to work on pacing (yes, still learning to build)
2. Following my HR, LOVE the HR monitor...
3. Learning to run on heavy/fatigued legs as if I just jumped off my bike
4. Building some mental toughness, grrrrr....

Flash back 2007... front row, mp3 player jamming, I was determined to break 70 minutes. I meant it to. This was the very race coach grabbed my arm to chat about coaching me, the very race I pretty much told him to stop distracting me, I was about to bust 70 minutes. (I love that story). I went out way too hard, died the last 3 miles, but finally broke 70 minutes... YES!

Today, 2009. Same story, lined up in the front, with the IPOD, but Luis distracts me, he wanted to know my goal time (I think he was intimidated I might beat him, ha ha). With all the confidence I could muster I told him I was going to try and break 60 minutes. You know, 2 years later, having a coach, it could happen... forgot about the past few weeks lingering in my legs. Luis told me on Wed. we were only holding 6:15's, I would have to move it... sure... front row... I'll move it...maybe...

This year something did change, I actually started off easier. I let Luis & the sprinters go right on by me. Of course it was so incredibly hard and I really disliked every minute of it, but I was determined to pace and follow my HR, for once. Kevin is a smart runner, he was with me for 4 miles and my HR was in check. At the 5 mile marker my split was 30:54. My first reaction was GOSH DARN IT, I STARTED TOO SLOW, how will I ever make up that 54 seconds?! Yes, I have a lot to learn... so I just tried to build it on home for 5 miles... and you know what... I ran ALMOST the same pace on the way home! So much for negative splitting, but hey, at least it was almost an even split and not like the year I ran out in a 32 and came home in a 36 something! 62 minutes, almost beat my goal time... NEXT year! Coach mark it on my plan please, and can I taper???

The entire 10 miles I used everything I learned from the last few weeks. I pushed through the heavy legs as best as I could, used everything Luis taught me about breathing, form, and mentally hanging on. I used Kevin to help me build my first 4 miles the way him and the boys helped me on the rides. When I wanted to scream because I felt Kaloko I just tried harder, like the way I did racing Dave on my bike. I used all the local runners as encouragement, we high-fived each other in passing and shouted out across the road as we ran by...

I love running at home...

Kainoa pointing out the incredible finish line, at the EXACT spot IM Hawaii finishes! Gotta love Hawaiian style!


A huge mahalo to Auntie Jessie and all the uncles and aunties for taking such good care of Kainoa! I couldn't have ran without your babysitting help!!! And thanks Peaman for all the toys, cookies, and bubbles to keep him occupied! After the run time for a little fun! One of the most fun things about Peaman events is having a ton of ocean things to do afterwards.





A few local runners along Ali'i Drive...

Pat skipping work to run...ha ha!
Doug and Randy, nothing but trouble with those two!

Ummm, this one does NOT count! At 3.5 miles into the race Leann hopped on the back of Karen's scooter! See, she is nothing but trouble, those island girls are BAD!

Brooke finally breaking 8 min. mile pace! YAY sister!

Brown Bear back in action! AND no, he didn't stop for coffee at Java on the Rocks!!

Time to recover!!

.



19 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Great job Bree!

April 19, 2009 at 6:06 PM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

awesome job Bree!!! I remember you telling the story of coach grabbing your arm. it's way funner when you tell it in person. haha.

April 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM

 
Blogger D said...

You're lookin ripped! (oh, and not in the BC way hehe)
Nice work!

April 19, 2009 at 7:13 PM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

OMG...i gotta roll my shorts down further....

April 19, 2009 at 8:37 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Wow, cool race. Nicely done Bree.

April 19, 2009 at 10:31 PM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

wow Bree, Kona es lo mas parecido al paraiso.Lo que mas me gusta es que nunca hace frio!!
un saludo !!

April 19, 2009 at 11:45 PM

 
Blogger Missy said...

Nice work, glad he 'let you' race;) Your sons picture is funny - c'mon ma, let me go, there's fun things and friends over there. Hahaha. Ah yes, but they always come back around. Looks like a great day.

April 20, 2009 at 1:08 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

Loved the pictures of everyone- especially Kainoa jumping in and on the paddle board- he's growing up. Brooke looks as cute as ever! Give her a hug and congrats to you both! See ya real soon.....................

April 20, 2009 at 1:26 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

That was still a fast run. I hope the preparation for St. Anthony's is going well. That will surely be more of a priority (at least I hope). Good to see you hanging out with skateboarders. Is Brooke doing the Florida race, too?

April 20, 2009 at 2:05 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

You are so fast!!
Great pics! HAve fun in Florida!
-marn

April 20, 2009 at 2:29 AM

 
Blogger IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Great job !! Keep up the great road work and I think we are going to have some interesting things happen this October in Kona.
I'm working transition this upcoming Sunday morning, so I'll do what I can to speed you through.

April 20, 2009 at 2:34 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Way to actually pace yourself. Keep that in mind for those upcoming races. That really looked like a fun race. Good luck on this week's training.

April 20, 2009 at 4:26 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

I love where you live. And nice race!!! :)

April 20, 2009 at 6:12 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Oh man, I wish I could have stayed a few days longer for this race! Great job with the pacing, Bree!!

April 20, 2009 at 6:12 AM

 
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

Nice work Bree, congrats on a fast time!!

April 20, 2009 at 10:16 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Woohoo great race! Look at ALL the LOVE Kainoa is getting, what a lucky guy!
P.S. SPLISH ordered:)

April 20, 2009 at 12:35 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Love the pics of Kainoa with you and all his friends...pure joy!

April 20, 2009 at 12:44 PM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Big congrats, Bree! Nice job on the paceing. You'll get that sub-60 next year... if you can convince your coach to let you run. ;p

April 21, 2009 at 1:32 AM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

All the hard work is paying off! Hmm, trouble with Doug and Randy might be fun. Ha Ha! Great kid watchers are so valuable. You are very lucky to have a babysitting support team.

April 22, 2009 at 3:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home