Aloha!

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Aussie Train & The Ocean...

My entire day was one of those, "What would coach say?" kind of days. An early solo pool swim. Just me, some chlorine, and coach in my head telling me to "Do a good job." I did the warm up sets. Then I looked around, again, and again, and again... nobody...not a single person to swim the 6x400's on 5 minutes with me.

Round 1...actually pretty easy, today might be a good solo swim day. Round 2....I like that too. Round 3 and 4 weren't too shabby, actually getting some rest (by Bree Wee standards that is). Then round 5 and 6 coach would not get out of my head! Hold form, pick it up, imagine getting a draft off feet you want, reach, roll your hips, this and that... SILENCE please! It would not let up... I won't complain though, it got me moving my booty and before long I was done! Solo pool swims are getting more fun, WAIT, still can't use FUN to describe them, they are getting more "manageable".

Just like in a LONG race day you have to be able to bring yourself back, bring back the focus when you day dream, drift off, and zone out... it's still a work in progress for me, solo pool swims are my way to defeat it...

Now for a ride. ONCE again...coach was in my ear . I could hear him telling me to put on the HR monitor, not wear the IPOD, and to take my nutrition seriously. Honestly, it was so loud and clear, I thought he was there...Please God no...

The warm up is lovely. Nice and steady, me and Jerry Ewing (he is the run director for Honu/Hawaii 70.3, of course I am inquiring about the changes they made for this year). Jerry turns and I am left to start my intervals. Main set 10x5 minutes at pace/HR goal. Yes, you guessed it, coach in my ear telling me to take it seriously, focus, and make it a good ride. The entire first hour went pretty good. Found some rhythm, enjoyed all the sunscreen burning my eyes, and the winds were pretty calm. After some pooped legs and a smile of satisfaction about a swim & a ride well done, I begin the recovery ride.

THEN a train came! Yes! A real live train on the Queen K! I am cruising along (this time fully enjoying the IPOD because I am done with my intervals and rolling back to town). At first I think it's a semi truck about to blow me over. No, it's Luke Mckenzie. Then I think the cross winds are flaring up, no, it's Belinda Granger, then I mistake Justin Granger for a sports car... it was the Aussie Train!

They are flying like I have never seen a pack fly down the Queen K. They get a bike or 2 length ahead of me, my heart is still pounding from the pace they blew by on. AND you guessed it, I hear coach Paul, "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!" He must know my every move or be reading my mind all the way from Canada... without hesitation I move as fast as I can to try and grab that train!

Imagine a pack of wild horses, running SO fast in a field, the kind of horses with beautiful legs that look so powerful. That is the view I had from behind the Aussie Train. I could not believe the quads on those 3. I was like a little mouse in the corner hoping they don't notice I am trying to draft off them. This was the kind of thing that had me just pinching myself. About 10 minutes later I hear Coach again (I had him slienced pretty good for the first 10 minutes). He was asking, "BREE ARE YOU DOING YOUR OWN WORKOUT? ARE YOU FOLLOWING YOUR PLAN?" Clearly that train was not my recovery pace. Not even close. I tried to reason with coach (in my head of course). My reasoning was, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity! I mean, this was not a little cruise ride, they were moving, not even talking to eachother, they were focused and flying! I don't know if Lance Armstrong rides that fast when he is in town...

Check out the view! 3 flying Aussie's on the Queen K!

I hang on some more. We get to the little climb before Vets and the HR is so far beyond cool down pace, I am pretty sure the Aussies could hear it beating out of my chest. I just keep hanging on. I hear coach, yelling of course, and I don't know what to do. I hold on a little longer... a little longer... a few more minutes won't kill me...so I enjoy the Aussie Pain Train some more. About 15 minutes from my stop point I decide maybe I should do the recovery thing now. I would be lying if I said it was an easy choice. It wasn't. I wanted to ride all the way back with them. In stead I turned up the tunes and pulled out my camera (of course). I had to snap a shot of the Aussie Train before it was too far out of sight. It's not every day a Kona girl gets to chase kangaroos!

That was fun., however my day is not over just yet. I still have to run (today was a full on triathlon day). After hearing Jerry say they changed the run to 6.5 miles of grass I did something really boring. I ran loops in the grass for my entire run! It felt like a hamster in a wheel. Coach was in my head telling me, "Good, at least you are running in conditions similar to race conditions, and at least you got into your run shoes in less time than it takes you to open your big mouth, and I'm glad you are still in your HR monitor, and NOT using the IPOD". That is correct! I ran over and over and over and over in a small grassy field for too long to count with no music to save my life. THAT is called "finding focus".

After the wonderful news that Dr. Scheel cut out the precancer in time & everything will be okay if I keep up with my check ups and gallons of sunscreen, I REALLY needed to celebrate! Take a deep breath-yes-coach Paul was in my head! He must have felt salt water running through his blood just as I was thinking about surfing.

After logging out my training to coach I did a little surf check, small but fun looking. I waxed up the board, put on 3 layers of sunscreen, then thought about it. Just thought about it. Dr. Scheels says I can get into the ocean, coach wants me to wait on the ocean till after the stitches come out. I never disobey my coach, I respect him too much and he has done a world of good for my life. But this one thing I doubt he would understand...I really needed in the ocean. Some people celebrate with a beer or some kind of fiesta, I need the ocean.

I paddled out, took a deep breath, duck dove under a little set, then smiled to be in the ocean, on my board, with some friends. My first wave was pretty ugly. BUT the second one had me smiling so big my face hurt. A couple little turns, back over the top, and paddle for more. Ahhhhh, that is living! The ocean has given me so much joy I simply can't resit returning to it for more. I stayed out till almost sunset, completely refreshed from the training, refreshed from waiting for results, refreshed from the little things in daily life...



Driving home from the beach I was reflecting on the day... Happy about my solo swim, spiking my HR on the Aussie train, making myself run around a small grass field with no distractions, then getting to enjoy the ocean. Nice day to say the least. Of course I still hear coach in my head, then I check my emails, sure enough, he had a simple response for the swim/bike/run...

Hi Bree, Looks like a great day for you. 178HR on the bike. That’s high for you! Recover well. How are your stitches healing?

Coach.

Dear Coach, The stitches are just fine, a little salty, but I covered them with that infection medicine...I'm stoked on the swim/bike/run! Yeah, the bike HR was crazy high for me, I was chasing kangaroo's. Oh, I took a little surf, that was the best recovery I could do for myself, you'd be proud I didn't hit the reef at all today!

Bree.




39 Comments:

Blogger Oscarjet said...

Que bien te lo pasas Bree !! que magnificas fotos siempre.No paras de sorprenderme!
Te envie un email a Facebok con la direcccion y algunas preguntas! ya estoy nervioso !!!que stress !!!
Un abrazo para ti y Kainoa !!
;D

May 19, 2009 at 11:43 PM

 
Blogger Nibbles said...

So glad you are OK! I wonder who was on that Aussie train??

May 20, 2009 at 1:24 AM

 
Blogger Kona Shelley said...

Who knew that you had trains there, glad the healing is going well. Love the pics too!

May 20, 2009 at 3:02 AM

 
Blogger D said...

You already know that I'm insanely jealous of you, but seriously... do you need to rub it in my face? FML.

May 20, 2009 at 3:03 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

It sounds like an absolutely perfect day. Great training done!!

May 20, 2009 at 3:04 AM

 
Blogger GoBigGreen said...

Congrats on the cancer free area!

May 20, 2009 at 4:11 AM

 
OpenID sbrtv said...

So glad to hear the good news from the Doc!

If I teach you how to love fast downhills, will you teach me to surf? It looks like so much fun. I have to learn some day. It can't be TOO much different from snowboarding, right?

May 20, 2009 at 4:12 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

I am just catching up on your blog but I am so happy to hear everything is fine with the mole removed and that you are recoverying well. What a great day of swim bike run! Way to follow the workout (and a have a tad bit of fun with the aussies!). Take care of yourself and keep smiling!

May 20, 2009 at 4:34 AM

 
Blogger IronBob said...

Glad to hear all is well.
You know I have this little guy on my shoulder that talks to me. Is yours in your ear or just outside?

..... what's that... OK...got it..

He just told me to run 6.5 at lunch..

May 20, 2009 at 4:41 AM

 
Blogger Lisa G said...

I am glad to hear you received some great news from the doc! What an amazing day of workouts you had! It must be hot there right now - I am jealous as we are getting an unexpected blast of winter again here!

May 20, 2009 at 6:02 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Sounds like a perfect day in paradise! :)

May 20, 2009 at 6:06 AM

 
Blogger Monica Kvas said...

Hey Bree! So glad that everything is ok! At least it resulted in you raising awareness about skin cancer. So many people read your blog so you never know who's life it may have indirectly saved by making people more conscious. I guess that's just about the only advantage of living with Canadian winters...my skin only sees the sun 3 months a year...But would definitely still rather live in Hawaii!

May 20, 2009 at 6:06 AM

 
Blogger Natalie said...

Sounds like a wonderful day with some good news! I'm happy to hear that the health scare is past! Thank you for the reminder that we're all just one mole away from cancer. I tend to be a bit lax with the sunscreen, but it's not something I should be forgetting...even in the upper midwest!

Oh how I want to learn to surf! If I come to Hawaii (or CR once you're living there), will you teach me to surf...PLEASE! LOL

May 20, 2009 at 6:52 AM

 
Blogger MJ said...

Great to hear that you got good news from the doctor! Looks like Kona is as fun as ever... I'm jealous!

May 20, 2009 at 7:19 AM

 
Blogger Magali said...

Hey surfer chick!
Sounds like your body and mind are ready to rock!!!
Don't worry about that train! YOU will be A BULLET in your next race and I'll be cheering.
Happy to hear you are going to be fine! And thanks for the support for Florida, very much appreciated.
Keep up the good work!

May 20, 2009 at 8:23 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

That certainly sounds like an epic day. Cancer free, swim, bike, run and surf. And then to see those three hammering down the Queen K. Certainly a day to treasure.

May 20, 2009 at 9:13 AM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Glad to hear the good news from the good Doctor :) Sounds like you are ready to rock n roll the Hawaii 70.3, and then I bet some surfing afterwards!! Enjoy your taper,,, I imagine you are going to taper!!

May 20, 2009 at 9:22 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer Harrison said...

THANK GOD for the good news from the DR!!! Phew. ENJOY Hawaii 70.3 how fun to race in your home!! :))

May 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM

 
Blogger triitagain said...

So glad you got good news. I have been thinking about you. We bought LOTS of sunscreen this week!

Stacy

May 20, 2009 at 11:19 AM

 
Blogger allyson said...

Good to hear the good news from dr. Awesome job on the training. I hate training by myself and still cant do it, too many years of swim team.

May 20, 2009 at 12:35 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

So glad to hear you got good news from your doctor! Nice way to celebrate too. :) The Aussie Pain Train - I love it!

May 20, 2009 at 12:50 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

This is a great post! So funny and a great peek inside your head. Glad the doc gave you good news!

May 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

happy happy happy! So happy for you Bree!

May 20, 2009 at 1:02 PM

 
Blogger Heidi Austin said...

The ocean has it's own healing powers! I would have done the same. Glad ur healing fast bree :)

May 20, 2009 at 1:29 PM

 
Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

I have to agree with Heidi. The ocean does have it's only healing power. The salt does wonders. I did not bike the Queen K, but I did run parts of it while I was there and did plenty of miles between Kona and my hotel.

May 20, 2009 at 11:58 PM

 
Blogger Sherry Lynn said...

Ah, yes... there is just something so therapeutic about H20 in general. How does it do that?? So glad that you were able to snuggle up a bit with your 'home'. :o)

May 21, 2009 at 2:10 AM

 
Blogger beth said...

love it! i love how you overcompensated with a super focused coach-approved run...AWESOME!

May 21, 2009 at 2:30 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

So glad all is okay-
You crack me up girl...
Stay you!

May 21, 2009 at 4:02 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Save some energy to race the Aussies on race day. I am sure you will have a great race.

May 21, 2009 at 4:12 AM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Glad to hear you're back in the water after the cancer scare..awesome job trying to cahse down them aussies.

May 21, 2009 at 4:53 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Glad to hear they caught that cancerous lesion EARLY. It will be HARD HARD HARD for you to keep yourself covered being where you live and your lifesyle but ya just gotta do it. Ha! Who am i to talk... i pretan before going away so I don't burn and I have a base. Piss poor excuse. I do love the sun though!!

May 21, 2009 at 6:18 AM

 
Blogger Big Island Podcast said...

Hi Bree,

Any special requests for my Hell's Kitchen Aid Station at the end of the service road at Honu? That part of the course hasn't changed LOL! They will be serving a tasty Risotto if I can talk Gordon Ramsey into showing up.

cheers,

Joe

P.S. Good news girl on the "C"

May 21, 2009 at 8:47 AM

 
Blogger L1z4 said...

So happy about the great news! I want to thank you for posting about your experience, it's made me a lot more cautious about sun exposure and cancer. I'm taking it a lot more seriously now. I really like how you're coping with it all, it's an inspiration. You're pretty cool!

May 21, 2009 at 10:49 AM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

Great news and Great trn day
Can't ask for much more than that. Someday you will have to really work. Enjoy now

loveandtwowheels.blogspot.com

May 21, 2009 at 10:53 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

I'm so so happy your biopsy came back clean. thank God Bree.
I had a cancerous spot removed a few years ago....about 2 weeks before a vacation to Hawaii actually!!! ;)
Makes you realize how vulnerable we are.

May 21, 2009 at 11:46 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

I love this post, Bree! Felt like I was there.
So glad all came back okay with the biopsy.
Have a great weekend!! :)

May 21, 2009 at 10:54 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Great news from Dr. Scheel! If you want some cute rash guards, look online at Athleta. They have cute bikinis as well!

I'm jealous, there are no kangaroos in Texas or at least in Houston.

May 22, 2009 at 2:19 AM

 
Blogger Jenna said...

Everytime I feel depleted I hit your blog and your energy crosses the ocean and puts some zip back into my soul. I love the way you attack your life. And I love the email exchange.... you are somewhat like a michevious child ;) AND, as your mother may warn you.... what goes around comes around so watch out for little K!!! Glad to hear all is well and that was a great article on you at IRONMAN.com :)

May 22, 2009 at 9:59 AM

 
Blogger Ramon Serrano said...

My favorite blogger! :-)

May 23, 2009 at 2:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home