Aloha!

Monday, May 18, 2009

New To Do In Kona...

When you live on an island you soon find each and every nook and cranny. Before long you know the "secret" beaches, the popular spots, the more affordable grocery stores (or the ones that always have what you need), the gals that give you free veggies at the markets, the safest cliffs to jump off, and almost each and every run or ride. When something new comes to town it's the "talk of the town" for weeks! Kind of like when Taco Del Mar opened or the new little taco shop on Kaiwe.

Recently the "talk of the town" has been the new little pottery place that opened next to Sumo's. last week Kainoa and I had to check it out and it was WELL WORTH the visit! You can choose your own plate, rice bowl, mug, or whatever you like, paint it, then come back in 3 days and claim it!
Highlights include: Making a HUGE mess and not having to clean it up. Letting Kainoa mix all the colors and paint the table, himself, and the side walk as if he's Leonardo Da Vinci! Being able to eat/drink from something you decorated to fit your style. It's really a great recovery activity if you ask me!



It's becoming a little addictive. GOOD thing they have sales! Yep, stop in and check out their discount days. Okay, that's my ramble on "Big Island To Do's". If you want more things to do, places to go, people to see, check out the FBI (from big island) blogs. Damon (from Hilo) linked up all the people that have the savvy on what's happening on all the sides of the island. It's pretty cool being able to find out sport reports, wave reports, days the markets are happening, earth quake drama (like the one that hit yesterday), local recipes, when Mauna Kea has snow, what live shows and concerts are coming. Click the foto below to check it out....

And if you want a new hobby, check out Pele's Pottery, next to Sumo's, near Sack N' save...




17 Comments:

OpenID damontucker.com said...

Thanks for the "Prop" on your blog.

I hope the FBI Site can be a good source for free information for a long time.

Newspapers are so highly influenced by big business and making money off ads that I don't always think that we get the real story on some things.

The FBI Blogs is more about people doing something they enjoy doing and not trying to make a buck off it.

Thanks for keeping us posted on "That" side of the island!

May 18, 2009 at 10:29 PM

 
Blogger Lénia said...

Hi Bree,

It was lovely to see your comment in my blog.

I hope you are feeling better and that you recover quickly from the stitches.

Yes, Portuguese is similar to Spanish, but I believe a bit more difficult, not so musical I believe... Every portuguese understands spanish, but not every spanish understands portuguese :-)

For example: (Good bye) ADEUS

(Hi) OLÁ

(Kisses) BEIJINHOS (also how we say goodbye to friends - it literally means little kisses)

(Swim, run and cycle) NADAR, CORRER e PEDALAR

Well, just a small portuguese lesson...in case you come to Portugal one of these days. Great for eating, nice humble people, great climate and just next to the ocean.

Hope to see you in my blog more often.

Beijinhos,
Lenia

May 19, 2009 at 12:10 AM

 
Blogger IronBob said...

Those pottery places are always a big hit with the kids.

Brings back memories.

Cheers!!

May 19, 2009 at 2:04 AM

 
Blogger Damie said...

we have a place like that right by my house in memphis. plus they have a friday night special where you get half off and bring your own wine to drink! it is such a fun, laid back friday night.

May 19, 2009 at 2:28 AM

 
Blogger greyhound said...

Kainoa is getting so big, but still so precious and cute. I'm really enjoying seeing him grow up.

May 19, 2009 at 4:13 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

I've wanted to paint pottery for so long now! Now I really want to go do it! But in Kona, I'm sure it is better than here in Florida.
Kainoa is really growing up! How cute!
-marn

May 19, 2009 at 4:37 AM

 
Blogger Pedergraham said...

We are all dying to hear more about Mountain Apples. Maybe your next post can be a pciture of Kainoa eating a mountain apple at a secret beach?! (You wouldn't have to tell us how to get there, though!)

May 19, 2009 at 4:48 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

I LOVE pottery...and would be all about decorating a coffee mug or two... :) Looks like a great time for you and Kainoa - super recovery as well! Hope that the skin is healing well...I've been thinking about you, sending tons of good vibes and using sunscreen all the time. Thanks again for that post - how many more days until you can play in the surf? Fingers crossed for SOON!

May 19, 2009 at 5:08 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

I love those pottery places! I love seeing pictures of your island. It is beauty defined! It makes me REALLY ready for vacation, surf, and sand!

May 19, 2009 at 5:55 AM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

that looks like lots of fun! and thanks for the "fbi" link, i'm going to check that out to get ideas for new things to do next time we are there!

May 19, 2009 at 6:12 AM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

That is awesome Bree - glad that I'm not the only one who thinks like that! It's awesome living on the beach - but when something new opens up..watch out! Something new to do! whoohoo!!

May 19, 2009 at 7:23 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

FUN FUN FUN....and the best is that you didn't have to clean it up...I am all for that type of fun:)...I love K clear flip flops...I need those for my kids..so they go with every outfit:)

May 19, 2009 at 10:08 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

I love those places... (you can spend a mint though)- the memories are worth it!
Love you hope all is going well/ better than well, GREAT!

May 19, 2009 at 10:11 AM

 
Blogger MadisonDuo said...

When I had knee surgery, I would have my hubby drop me off and I'd paint pottery for hours. The pottery place even let me bring in a bottle of wine to drink while I painted. :) I think I painted something for every room in the house.

Love those places...can't wait to see your and Kainoa's masterpieces. You must pics of your pottery when you get it back!

May 19, 2009 at 11:41 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

The life on the island, eh. Sound perfect.

May 19, 2009 at 12:21 PM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

That pottery stuff is SO much fun and it makes the perfect gifts. Excited to see what you and Kainoa made.

tn

May 19, 2009 at 5:47 PM

 
Blogger I'm still Jenny From The Block said...

Your little guy is looking bigger all the time! I'm so glad you're a family lady and that you love the Lord. :) Keep strong in your love for family and HIM!! :)

May 28, 2009 at 5:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home