Aloha!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Rescuing The Injured...


Sheesh! What a gong show around here...feels like I am the mother of 3 these days! Actually, Kainoa is easier to handle than the 2 gimpy's combined!!!

Started like this... Saturday I get a call from Brooke. Her and Nick (my bro-in-law and BEST-ever bike mechanic) are in the emergency room. Turns out the Wisconsin boy had a bit of trouble in the Kona waters down at Kua Bay, sheesh! His arm is totally dislocated in all possible ways, hanging by a bone, a broken one at that, and the elbow has chunks of bone floating in it, little blood flow- all because the Cheese head tried to jump a wave. So glad it wasn't his neck, just the arm.

My duty as favorite sis-in-law (sorry Bron, he likes me better) is to get some groceries and bake for them so their post-emergency room is mello. I can shop and bake, no worries!

Later that night... I go visit (again). About 8pm I go home (they know I like to be sleeping by 8:30). It's been a long training day so I put on my compression pants (the LONG ones that cover hips to toes pretty much). Let me explain... they are size extra small. I am NOT size extra small. More of a medium sized J-Lo booty. But in my experience compression means TOO TIGHT, so I wear them WAY TOO TIGHT. It takes me like 30 minutes to get them on, I sleep in them praying I don't have to wake up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night (they take too long to get off). Basically, they are so tight it is not even funny, but they work, and my legs stay injury free so I plan to continue this too-tight compression thing...

Long after the pants are on and I am in bed I get a call. It might be the Wisconsin broken arm boy so I answer. It's Brooke. She is crying and sobbing and begging me to take her to the doctor. Must be a dream, is she joking or what!? Nice prank I tell her, sorry I am sleeping and the pants are on. She tells me Nick can't drive, totally drugged up, no use of his arm/shoulder/back ect. Again, NICE PRANK Brooke, stop already. She explains she dislocated her foot.

They live in the same condo complex 5 doors down. Me in my TOO TIGHT pants and pajama top half asleep go check on them... sure enough the toe is sticking out to the side, she is crying, frozen edamame beans numbing the foot. It's ugly enough to make me nearly vomit. Never seen anything (other than Nicks arm) that mangled...

Off to the doctor we go. As we are walking up to the doctors house (midnight booty call, I mean footy call) I take one look at us and the laughter rolls out. Nick is all messed up with his arm slung in a sling and full wrap, drugged up so much he can't even speak right, I am in pants so tight (it's 92* by the way in Hawaii this night), half alseep, and Brooke is limping with edamame's stuck to her foot.

Long story short... I am STILL in charge of these 2. Today I took Nick in for surgery. His only request was that I don't play "Puerto Rican Pop" as he calls it, we drive music-less. Brooke is doing some limping Spring cleaning thing because she ate a bug, and I am in charge of baking, again... (Nick had to fast pre-surgery and wants treats when he gets home). He is still at the hospital as I write this (8 hours and 33 minutes later).

My day has been run-swim-bake-babysit... and it's been hilarious. These 2 can barely function. Last night I was checking on them and they are building up a bike. Remember, Nick is the lead bike mechanic here in Kona. Hawaii 70.3 is just around the corner, we need him. He is building up someone's race bike (with one arm). Brooke is trying help hold the bike while balancing on one foot. They are a sight for sore eyes. Anyways, other than some training my job is looking after the gimpy's.

In honor of them I created a little treat, I call it Gimpy Caramel Brownies. If you are taking care of anyone with a sweet tooth this will hit the spot...

Gimpy Carmel Brownies
Crust: 2 cups crushed up graham crackers (the animal cookies work best), 5oz butter melted, optional 1/4 cup sugar (I like a table spoon of maple syrup or honey instead). Mix in the food processor. Then spread onto a greased pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 350*. Cool.

No worries if you don't have a food processor, you can buy premade crumbs, I just think the organic kids cookies taste better so I prefer to grind those.

Carmel middle: 1/2 cup heavy cream, 4oz butter, 1 1/2 cups brown sugar (again, you can replace with maple syrup if you prefer). Bring to a boil (don't stir). let sit for 5 minutes, pour on top of crust, cool for 20 minutes, then freeze (takes about 8-15 minutes).

Yes, I know, the vegan butter looks like lard, but it is so gooey and a bit more nutritious.

Chocolate Kona coffee top: 2 cups chocolate or carob chips, 1/2 cup sweet condensed milk (reduced fat kind is fine to use), 2 big spoon fulls of super ground up coffee beans. Heat all ingredients until melted. Pour on top of caramel. Cool in the fridge for about an hour. Eat.

*You can easily substitute with maple syrup and carob chips to replace sugar. And use the sugarless organic graham cookies.

Wisconsin Cheese heads, please stay far from Kua Bay & girls named Brooke, next time turn on the lights so you don't mangle your foot!

.





21 Comments:

Blogger Thats me! said...

CLASSIC!

May 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

I'd dislocate something to get some of those caramel brownies.

May 12, 2009 at 10:00 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Funny. On a more serious note hope they get better soon.

May 12, 2009 at 10:21 PM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Are you EVERYONE's mom in Kona? And everyone (everyone from Minnesota anyway) knows that Cheese-heads can't swim - except apparently for the Cheese-heads. I hope everyone feels better with the pain meds - I mean "soon."

May 13, 2009 at 12:31 AM

 
Blogger Dave Jewell said...

Yummy!
How do you do that much damage jumping a wave?

May 13, 2009 at 1:22 AM

 
Blogger tomdog said...

Wow! And I thought my life was action packed. Get some sleep, sounds like you are going to have to be nurse mate for awhile.

May 13, 2009 at 1:50 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Do you cook with your X-small pants on too:) I hope the Dr is a friend of yours or he is thinking you guys are NUTS:)
I hope Brooke and Nick (did they get married?? congrats to them if they did)....feel better soon..ouch!!
those Brownies look delish!!!

May 13, 2009 at 2:38 AM

 
Blogger Damie said...

Bree!- I am still totally waiting for that cookbook of yours. I still make those banana muffins you posted eons ago!

May 13, 2009 at 2:43 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

OMG, so FUNNY!!! Not really, but picturing you three going to the docs like that ... well, you know :-)

Good luck to everyone at HI70.3!

May 13, 2009 at 3:02 AM

 
Blogger IronBob said...

Wow, be careful, it might be contagious... clutsdumbness.

Slip some vicodin in their brownies and you'll get a good nights sleep.

May 13, 2009 at 3:17 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Oh man - hugs to Nick and Brooke! Hope they feel better asap!! But with treats and baked goods like those.... :) What a great sister you are! :) Too tight compression-garments and all. ha ha - I do the same...

May 13, 2009 at 4:29 AM

 
Blogger Missy said...

It's funny and not funny all at the same time! That totally sucks but at least they have a Bree to take care of, er, feed them. I think I just started to salivate. Oh, too tight compression tights would push me up so high that I'd look like I have a floatie around my middle.

May 13, 2009 at 5:15 AM

 
Blogger chr15 said...

Hilarious!

I was getting a crazy visual of you all knocking the doctor up at midnight! He probably thought he was dreaming!!!

You mean compression garments are supposed to be worn tight... I went XL so they felt comfy... Ah well, some of your gimpy 'carmel' brownies should sort that out

May 13, 2009 at 5:56 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Holy Crap! That story was like a movie! Mmmmmmmm brownies (with ccccccccccarmel)
plez bring some to Rev3 Trakkers booth, Saturday at 10am sharp. :-)

May 13, 2009 at 6:24 AM

 
Blogger Shevaun said...

Sorry to hear about the mishaps. Be nice to your bro-in-law when he gets home. His arm is really going to hurt alot. I dislocated my elbow, + broken radius, falling off my bike last week. Luckily no surgery.

May 13, 2009 at 6:29 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

That's too funny!!! (not really, but I can just picture it). Speaking of pictures, did you take any of the "gimpys"!!! Post, post, post!!
I'm sure quite a few people would gladly injure themselves to get their hands on some of those yummy treats.
They are lucky to have you around!

May 13, 2009 at 7:03 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

I never have time to bake, but next time I do - THIS is what I am baking!! Soooo laughing at your compression pants-emergency trip scenario! I went to Trader Joes in mine the other night and I think I might have gotten a few funny glances :)

May 13, 2009 at 9:51 AM

 
Blogger allyson said...

Enjoy being Nurse Bree. Brownies look yummy, wish I could bake

May 13, 2009 at 2:21 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Hope they feel better soon. LOVE the recipe. OMG. Absolute heaven. You're a sweetie.

May 13, 2009 at 3:12 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Wow, sorry to hear about Nick and Brooke, that sounds so painful. Nothing like that can ever come at a good time, and I cant imagine working on a bike with one arm in pain.
Glad to hear you are getting an "extra" race in Bree, are you thinking of wearing your compression pants instead of bike shorts?? I bet Coach wont let you try that :)

Along with a recipe book, I think you may be able to get a cooking show going as well. Those all look so good!!!

May 13, 2009 at 3:24 PM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

OMG... look at all of that gooey dreaminess! I leave blogland for 1 week and amazing Bree recipes pop up! Please ma'am, can I have some more?

May 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home