Aloha!

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saturday...

Good Morning!

Finally woke up in the 5am hour without an alarm (that 6hr time change did me in for a few days in a row). This morning the winds were hustling the palm trees outside my window so loud I thought we were in a hurricane! It is absolutely beautiful, again, today.

Yesterday was a ride through town & a swim in the bay. Then dinner with the Colburn's, Coach Paul, Coach Bruce, and Marsha. Of course it was Fajitas for me (the closest I could get to a burrito). Pretty sure coach wanted to see me grinding pasta, just not a pasta kind of girl...

After that it was St. Croix's party in the street- Jump Up! Perhaps at home, legs up, is the best bet 2 nights out from a race, however, being in a fabulous place I felt the need to dive into the culture and experience some of the local festivity. Just a little. We watched the Mocojumbi's thrilling us on their giant stilts, the local high school bands, a few Caribbean bands singing reggae and banging on steel pans, and then... then... it was trouble.

The local dance of St. Croix is called quadrille (I think that was it). It reminds me of a mix of square dancing (because you get partners then trade them several times) and salsa (because you get to throw your hips into action and get whisked away by your partner). It's danced to steel drums with some rasta type island style lyrics...I loved it! Just as I was admiring the dance (there was a huge crowd in the streets standing around watching this), the couples broke off and grabbed onlookers into the center to be their new dancing partners...

My fingers were crossed that I would be grabbed from spectator to dancer. AND THEN I WAS! It was so much fun being passed around, traded from partner to partner, then shaking the hips like I was in Costa Rica dancing salsa! Just about the time I was thinking "I love dancing", the song breaks into this 3 minute long section of just steel drums and hips and booty and turning and looping through your partner...at that moment I was hoping coach would NOT see this and bust me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Marsha! Coaches mom, she was dancing too, just as I was thrown to the left I saw a flash! Coach Bruce got all the action on film! After that straight to bed, don't worry, I was still in bed by 8:20pm!

I've grown to discover that this world is just so full of fun adventures and life is too short not to discover at least a few of them. I'm positive that getting to experience just a bit of all the different cultures you can find will only enrich your life...and I'm thinking it's going to enrich my race too... I'll just shake my booty up the Beast like I was dancing!

This morning as the sun was peeping over the mountains I enjoyed a nice run through the Shoy's. On my return a nice big white dog would not let me pass. I tried to pet it, it snapped, I tried to tell it, "nice doggy, nice girl", it snapped and barked. Then I tried to pass and it ran growling at me. My best bet was to go the other way, not at all what I wanted to do. The dog then starts chasing me...I speed walk (I know not to run from a dog)... darn it all, now the only way back home was to climb a hill known as "mini Beast"! There is nothing mini about it. I figured going up it back wards was better for the legs the day before a race, so I did that.

Now I am sitting here in what smells like a fire. Last night I told my home stay mom a great place to put the baked goods over night (to keep unwanted pests away) was in the oven. So she listened to me. This morning she woke up to make muffins and well, forgot about the place we hid the baked goods. A cracked glass plate and a smoke filled kitchen is now lingering through the house... ahh... nothing like St. Croix...

I'm off to the Marina now with my home stay dad... we are going for breakfast...

I miss everyone heaps and STILL wish you all were here! PLEASE email me (no phone service for me) if you need anything! I'd be happy to bring it back home!

Hugs from St. Croix!
Bree

.



22 Comments:

Blogger IronBob said...

You know what I say: "Dont forget to enjoy and embrace the day". Sound like you are having a great time.
Have a great day tomorrow!

May 2, 2009 at 2:53 AM

 
Blogger Missy said...

I can't wait to see THOSE pictures! Best of luck, it'll be a great day...a great, dogless day:)

May 2, 2009 at 3:42 AM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

Good luck tomorrow, looks like the winds are back. If I survive, I will see you at the Divi
www.loveandtwowheels.blogspot.com

May 2, 2009 at 3:53 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Hey I've missed you yesterday at Jump Up but I think I've seen coach Paul. I loooove this place. If I don't see you just wanted to wish you good luck tomorrow and I can't wait to see you at the podium tomorrow night. Will try and catch you then.

May 2, 2009 at 4:44 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Bring home a great race! I love the way you get involved in the communities you race in. Life is way too short and it really is all about the experiences. Can't wait to hear how it all goes. Good luck!

May 2, 2009 at 4:47 AM

 
Blogger swimfin said...

Have a great race! Love that you were out dancing! 20 years from now you will remember that dancing not the way your legs felt in the race.

May 2, 2009 at 5:34 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer Cunnane said...

You are going to do GREAT TOMORROW! Shake ya tailfeather and have a great race!

May 2, 2009 at 7:39 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

hey Bree,

I woke from sleep last night with a montra for you to reciet on your 70.3 tomorrow. "Pure heart", "Clear Eyes", "True Victory". Have a great race, we will be watching and cheering. Sending all our stength and love to you. See you when you get back.

Love, Uncle Paul

May 2, 2009 at 11:57 AM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Have a great race at St Croix Bree,, shake your booty around the whole course!! Glad your having fun, sounds like a cool place :)

May 2, 2009 at 1:44 PM

 
Blogger Caroline said...

Just wanted to pop on and say GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!

May 2, 2009 at 1:54 PM

 
Blogger rr said...

GOO weeeeeeee! Have fun out there tomorrow!!!!

May 2, 2009 at 7:33 PM

 
Blogger Randy said...

Good luck Bree. Remember, You are Kona Strong!!!

May 2, 2009 at 9:15 PM

 
Blogger Runner Leana said...

Getting out and enjoying the local culture and flavour...sounds amazing! These experiences definitely enrich our lives. Best of luck at the races!!!!

May 3, 2009 at 4:32 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Wishing you MUCH success today! Sounds like you are having a total blast in St. Croix. I agree... there's nothing in the world like experiecing a culture first hand. Keep me away (far, far away) from the all-inclusive resorts! Ha!

Hope you're out there killin' the Beast right now!!!

May 3, 2009 at 4:53 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

When you are as open to fun as you are it just finds you!

May 3, 2009 at 7:10 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Just saw the results from St. Croix. NICE BIKE SPLIT! Wow - third fastest. Way to go Antonio. Solid swim and run, too. Hope you enjoyed it all - can't wait for the race report. Have a good safe trip home.

May 3, 2009 at 9:07 AM

 
Blogger Missy said...

Congrats on today's race! Way to go.

May 3, 2009 at 11:24 AM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Good Race Bree!

I just checked Ironman.com for the results and they somehow classified Ken Glah as a pro woman...I would protest ;)

May 3, 2009 at 3:29 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Bree!

What a smoking fast bike split. I am sure all of those rides where you hated the descents really helped you "shake your booty" up the BEAST. You raced against a tough field and you did very well. You and Coach should be proud of the outcome. Remember, the goal is not to hit first place here, but back home in Kona!

Congratulations and have fun the rest of your stay in St. Croix.

May 3, 2009 at 4:15 PM

 
Blogger Kim said...

You did so great! Great bike split and what a great race. So proud of you and hope you enjoyed it and had fun!

May 4, 2009 at 9:48 AM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

I hope you're still having a good time down there!!!

May 4, 2009 at 12:04 PM

 
Blogger allyson said...

Awesome job yesterday. Hope you enjoyed the race and had fun. Safe traveling.

May 4, 2009 at 2:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home