Aloha!

Thursday, June 25, 2009

I'm Bad...


It's almost Kainoa's birthday so I did what most moms do-SHOP! I found him the most fun Quiksilver surf trunks I ever saw for a soon-to-be 3yr old!!! I'm so bad, they scream 1980's and his dad will hate them!! ha ha, LOVE IT!!

All day had me in 1980's flashbacks. When I heard the news about Farrah Fawcett & Michael Jackson all I could do was call the sisters...we had to replay our favorite "growing up memories" to keep that gloomy feeling from coming.

Bron and I had these awesome neon green t-shirts that said "I'm Bad" in hot pink we would wear to school every week tied in a tight knot on the side. I was also in a talent show to his song "We are the world"...to relive that one I sang it to my massage therapist after my run today. To shut me up she put hot volcano rocks on my stomach. Man I will miss blasting MJ from my boom box with my pink Converse high tops!

Then we remembered Farrah and that hair! Our mom used to make our hair poofy like that on picture day, we had to flip our head over and she would blow dry us with toooooooo much hair spray! It was such a bad look for me. I was more of a crimper-iron kind of girl. Great memories were floating along all day long with us sisters. Then Bron told me Ed McMahon passed away yesterday! I had no idea.... oh the memories that one brought back!

The sisters and I grew up with BIG dreams of being on Star Search! Every Friday our Aunt and Uncle would come over and Judge us so we could host our own Star Search at home. We had real categories too, like best costume, best lip synch, and best dance moves. Bron always, EVERY week danced to George Michael "Gotta Have Faith", she had the best moves with that song (don't even ask). Brooke would do "Under The Boardwalk", that song from the movie Beaches. She wore this little blue bikini and would walk around a towel, at the end she would put on black sunglasses! My song (most weeks) was Madonna's "La Isla Bonita", even then I was dreaming about life on a beautiful island. I had this very long flowered dress for my costume with HUGE hibiscus flowers all over it... oh the fun we had. RIP my faves from the 80's!!!


To top off my 80's flash backs & theme of "I'm bad" I had more surf shop fun... I had to upgrade my mom's bikini! She is my biggest fan and most loyal reader (when she see's this foto posted of her I'm sure she will kick me to the moon). Anyways, when the family was here for a visit the sisters and I made some fun of her swim suits, when she left back to Florida she left it hanging on my bathroom door. Oh man that made me feel rotten for teasing her, so I had to upgrade her old 1980's suit with a new neon pink one!

Tomorrow I am mailing it! Most likely she will call me to say a grandma with 3 grandsons DOES NOT need a hot pink bikini, BUT mom, you do, pops will love it! ha ha...

Other than the 80's flashbacks I had a run that started sour but ended great, a swim in the sea, and a ride with no flat tires... it was RAD!

.



17 Comments:

Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

There is nothing wrong with reliving the 80s. If Kainoa's dad says anything just remind his that they are doing remakes of Miami Vice and the A-Team.

June 25, 2009 at 11:08 PM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

Ahh..the days of watching 'Star Search'. Remember how sometimes they didn't have the 'kids category' and instead have like 'best rap group'? UGH. I would get so mad. Who cares about rap? I wanted to see the kids my age to get style tips!! :)

HAPPY FRIDAY!

June 26, 2009 at 12:06 AM

 
Blogger IronBob said...

You know, regardless of his personal demons, Michael was (in my opinion) the greatest entertainer of all time. Farrah, not so much, but still sad to lose an ANGEL.

June 26, 2009 at 1:06 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

I absolutely loved your post today. RIP in Farrah and Michael!

June 26, 2009 at 3:41 AM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

Hey I thought I was your most loyal reader. HAHA

June 26, 2009 at 3:42 AM

 
Blogger D said...

Now even Kainoa has shorts that I'm jealous of! You're taking me shopping when I'm over there. Seriously. I'll be there for a few days post-race and I will hunt you down :)

June 26, 2009 at 4:52 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

LOVE the 80's!! Nothing wrong with those shorts either!

When my son was about 6 moths old a friend gave him the tiniest black T-shirt with that iconic photo of Farrah in the red bathing suit, very cute! Hmm....maybe I should post it....

June 26, 2009 at 5:36 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

You should be on of those personal shoppers - you know, when you're retired from pro-triathleting. You have a gift!

June 26, 2009 at 5:44 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

I Like totally love this blog post,like totally!!!

I so wish I was in my basement right now making up dances! Enjoy your weekend and that is going to be one HOT grandma wearing a pink bikini!

June 26, 2009 at 5:44 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

I have the same shorts. Slightly bigger size.

June 26, 2009 at 7:14 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Great post! I was just reminiscing with a friend this morning about al the neon and scrunchy socks and crimped hair! Love it :)

June 26, 2009 at 7:17 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I spent some time yesterday watching the tributes to MJ and got a better idea of just how brilliant he was. However, in the 70s I was a little too old for the "teeny-bopperish" music, and then in the 80s in Taiwan I had no contact with the Western music scene. In the 90s, I was busy with work. Then in the 2000s I just listened to island music in Kona and to the dolphins. Anyway, that's just the thoughts of someone out-of-touch with the world in a former generation.

June 26, 2009 at 2:06 PM

 
Blogger Sherry Lynn said...

Ah, great memories! I was in 6th grade when 'La Isla Bonita' was popular and I can remember singing it with my best friend into an tape recorder and then playing it over and over again! We had no idea what she was saying! Ha!

June 26, 2009 at 2:45 PM

 
Blogger tinaparker87 said...

Shorts are adorable. Parents will love the bikini. I am glad to read you are so upbeat. Love the pics of Kona.

Keep going Bree!

June 26, 2009 at 7:38 PM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

Great surf trunks! I loved going to the roller rink and skating to Mj's music from the late 70's and early 80's. Oh, the crimper iron was my favorite. It took forever to do all of my hair, but it looked cool!

June 27, 2009 at 1:29 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

I just saw those surf trunks in a store - that is a lot of neon for such a little guy to be rockin', but I think the boy can pull it off. I love the fact you are sending your mom a new bikini. You must have a VERY trusting relationship. And you are "Bad"!

June 27, 2009 at 8:20 AM

 
Blogger Mama Simmons said...

La Isla Bonita... why am I not surprised? ;)

Your mom will look GREAT in that bikini! What a fun daughter you are.

June 27, 2009 at 6:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home