Aloha!

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I'm In Middlebury...

It's okay if you've never heard of Middlebury, neither had I until REV3 Triathlon. In fact, all I knew about Connecticut was I had a college friend who grew up there. Believe it or not, she grew up in Middlebury, of all places, and I am staying with her family!! Talk about a perfect homestay! Not to mention Lisa Mensink is my roomie... we have it so good!

The home is like a doll house, a lot of rooms that all smell like Yankee Candles. Only thing is, ITS VERY COLD! I've learned to quit complaining though as Lisa endures Calgary snow and this is HOT for her... This morning I put Antonio together in my bathing suit... I may have scared the neighbors. I was just trying to brave the cold. Lisa told me to put on a jacket, so I did.

LOOK! I know everyone admires my underwater fotos, so I took some on Lisa and I's swim around the lake. GORGEOUS view right!!?? Those are the shallow fotos, any deeper and all you see is the Lochness Monster. The swim wasn't so bad. I clung to Lisa's feet until the little intervals-then it was bye-bye fishy and she was off! I was totally missing the coral and all my ocean friends, MAN AM I SPOILED! Not to mention the bikini was hiding as the lake was totally a wetsuit swim...thankfully Blue Seventy sent me a brand new one (THANK YOU GUY!!), and it felt as close to a bikini as you can get...

This is the beach (they call it a beach), and let me tell you, that roller coaster will have me swimming my little heart out on Sunday! All the rides will! After the swim we scoped out all the rides like 2 big nerds. Everything looks so little compared to when I was a kid. Nonetheless we plan to take on a few slides post race...
Even Bob Marley look-a-likes are part of the rides & REV3 fun! This race is totally first class, the race directors have went above and beyond my expectations. I'll be honest though, Middlebury should have been named Hillbury! It is so hilly!! Yesterday I ran up, up, up, down, up, then down again. It might have been the 15hr flight, or sicky fatigue lingering, but I'm thinking it was the hills...
Middlebury (sorry I keep talking about it), reminds me of the type of place where it's more appropriate to wear shorts and skirts to at least your knees, maybe below the knee. It's more conservative than I'm used to, however very friendly. This had me a bit nervous for finding my foods. BUT with no problem I found coconut chunks from Costa Rica, Edamame's from China, and seaweed from Hawaii! It made my day! Kare (our host momma), was a little curious about the eating habits. When she saw her cart loaded with coconut waters, Larabars, and Kambucha teas she was wondering what planet I'm from. Like a trooper we got her hooked on Larabars, the Kombucha Tea she is convinced I only drink because it's good for me (she really dislikes it and does not believe anyone would drink it for good taste), and the sea weed is still untouched on the counter (I WILL HAVE her loving it before I go!!).
One of the REV3 buoys. I tried the same swim coach gave me last week pre-Honu. Fingers crossed it helps here as much as it helped there (only thing is I was watching fish last week to keep me focused-this lake lacks fishy views), maybe someone will let me paint a fish on their feet!
GAME ON! Post race this is all I want to do! Anyone up for a match??? Okay, enough thinking about the fun, RACE FOCUS GAME FACE ON! Grrrrrrr.... (note to self: work on game face). AND if you are hunting down Lisa...she will be on the swings...

Finally... I traveled with ALL this for only $35 bucks! Last trip this same luggage cost $280 bucks-Thank you Kona Local Lady for hooking me up! Time to relax more, the only fever hanging on is "Island Fever", I am missing Kainoa and the ocean, no worries, shake it off princess, it's only a couple more days!

Big Hugs from Middlebury!

Bree




26 Comments:

Blogger Marni said...

GOOD luck!! Stay warm!
-marn

June 5, 2009 at 7:48 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

Best of luck to you! You will see that wetsuit swims aint so bad. Crush it! Then immediately put CA 70.3 on your 2010 schedule :)

June 5, 2009 at 8:02 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Now let's be nice about the "beaches." They look pretty much the same here in MN. Maggs was making comments about the superiority of HI and I told people to push her down - don't make me ask the same for you. (ha) Good luck! You are going to kill. Glad you are feeling better and hope Kainoa is, too.

June 5, 2009 at 8:23 AM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

Hola ! clima muy diferente !!
Suerte y disfruta ! te seguire como si estuviera alli ! me alegra tener noticias tuyas desde Middlebury!
Big hug !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2009 at 8:43 AM

 
Blogger Sherry Lynn said...

Ohhh... great fun! Glad you arrived safe and sound. Sending boat loads of well-wishes your way for the weekend! Have LOTS of fun and kick some booty! :o)

June 5, 2009 at 9:02 AM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

New England Weather is notoriously unpredictable..Today's supposed to be in the 50's and Race Day it will be in the high 70's Good luck stay warm and I'll keep an eye out for you as you ride past my post in Litchfield.

I'm assuming you'll be the one with the tropical arm warmers right? ;)

June 5, 2009 at 9:05 AM

 
Blogger Dawnie said...

I went to High School in Middlebury (if you see a big yellow school on the town green, Westover, I went there!) and spent every summer working at Quassy!! I used to derail the train, so my advice is to avoid it, it just goes in a circle anyway!!
Enjoy my "old home" I loved growing up there! Have a great race, too!

June 5, 2009 at 9:13 AM

 
OpenID sbrtv said...

Wow. Those underwater pics sure make CT look like pretty dumpy place compared to Hawaii. I think you should just focus on taking pics of the hills from ABOVE the water. Those views are much nicer.

I'm heading down there later today. See you soon!

Go Team Trakkers!

June 5, 2009 at 9:20 AM

 
Blogger D said...

I think Todd's got a serious hate-on about Hawaii right now. He was none too please with Maggs comment on my blog... of course, that was after my saying that we're getting 90 degree weather! Poor Minessotans.

Kambucha tea IS gross. Host mama is smart :P

June 5, 2009 at 10:01 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

HAVE SOOOO MUCH FUN...and make sure you ride those roller coasters and barf some cotton candy for me:) get down with your bad self...miss ya!!

June 5, 2009 at 10:49 AM

 
Blogger IronBob said...

Have a great race. Jet lag is a bummer isn't it? Too many trips to Finland have shown that to me.

Take it easy and dont forget to enjoy and embrace the day. (where have I heard that before?)

Cheers and my post this week will be pictures from LA, Vegas and Grand Canyon as the family vacations.

June 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

 
Blogger Chris said...

Hey, your pictures make it look nice! It's been raining here for two days... hope it clears up tomorrow as I'm driving to Middlebury (it's 2 hours away from me). Was the lake really cold? Can't wait to get there and do this race!

June 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

I was on the east coast last summer for a wedding - and I felt like I was in a Jcrew ad the whole time! The houses there are so diffrent! And they do look like creepy doll houses!

Good luck!!

June 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Can't wait to cheer you on miles and miles away. You will rock the race.

June 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

Have an incredible race- your spirit is high and I can tell in your writing you're feeling back to normal. Love every moment- kick butt Breezy- I love you!

June 5, 2009 at 11:51 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

Have an incredible race- your spirit is high and I can tell in your writing you're feeling back to normal. Love every moment- kick butt Breezy- I love you!

June 5, 2009 at 11:51 AM

 
Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

Good luck!! You have a great attitude and I know you will rock the course.

June 5, 2009 at 12:42 PM

 
Blogger GoBigGreen said...

Ha! I am with T-odd. The shores of Lake Superior are beautiful, but...you would last about 15 minutes in said bikini in that GREAT lake! enjoy the new scenes and really we dont envy you but in the winter:)

June 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Many years ago when I was studying Chinese in Taipei, we had several exchange students from Middlebury, and many of them spoke Mandarin very nicely, so they must have a good program there. I guess when you are there you are almost as close to Britain as you can get. Anyway, I hope you have a really awesome race and I'll be rooting for you. Have fun, it's a star-studded field.

June 5, 2009 at 3:15 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Hey, Courtenay Brown is doing that race too! She's a good one for finding the fun in a place...you two should hook up.

Have fun in the race Bree!!

June 5, 2009 at 3:39 PM

 
Blogger allyson said...

Its only 65 degrees there, thats warm for a random east coast spring! My sister is from CT, PEARLS Necklaces all the way!!! Water is def not like your pictures from Hawaii, thats our East Coast.

June 5, 2009 at 4:11 PM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Have a great race and an awesome time on those roller coasters afterward!!!!

June 5, 2009 at 5:34 PM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

I LOVE Kombucha. My sister makes her own from a real live kombucha "mother" culture or whatever you call it. I think I might try doing that myself this year at some point. Good luck this weekend! Kick ass and tell Lisa I said hello!

June 5, 2009 at 6:55 PM

 
Blogger I'm still Jenny From The Block said...

Amazing how there can be culture shock just within our own 50 states! I love your descriptions of life in Hawaii vs. Conn. Only a few more days! Your conservative East Coast adventure is nearly through. :)

June 5, 2009 at 7:59 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Glad to hear you had a safe trip to REV3 and feeling ready to go!!! Recovering from illness can energize you and make you speedy. I like the REV3 bouys, nice and big and easy to see, especially for us sinkers (ask your room mate, I am a sinker)!!! Have another great swim Bree, and carry on from there with your speedyness.

June 6, 2009 at 4:34 AM

 
Blogger MJ said...

Good luck! It won't feel cold in the heat of battle....

June 6, 2009 at 7:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home