Aloha!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

That's Cycling...

My training partner for the day, Kainoa hooked her on my bike...

The looooooong ride got cut short, roughly 2 hours in a construction screw (you know, the really big ones), went through my wheel and made it un-fixable (is that a word?) The gel wrapper, even a bunch of them wouldn't do the trick, it was hitch a ride home for me and the hula girl. Standing on the side of the road left me with a lot of time to watch the world go by... that's cycling for ya. At least the views were pleasant and Brooke was nice enough to pick me up.

The run off the bike became "run out of Brooke's truck", I am still counting it as a brick, a brick off a not-so-long-ride. I got a nice ride in swim practice too, but only the last 50. I tried to race Monroe who is a few times my size and got the draft ride of my life.

Then it was time to play in the kitchen... Spirulina shakes for everyone!

Spirulina has:
  • 2.5 times the recommended amount of B12 needed per day in one spoonful (it's that or eat liver)...
  • All the essential amino acids in perfect balance
  • At least 65% complete protein, example-beef is only 22% complete protein
  • Properties that help fight cancer
  • Comes from fresh water not the ocean (nice news for non-seaweed lovers)
  • More vitamin A than carrots and more iron than beef

If you blend a spoonful with almond milk (or whatever milk you drink), a banana, and a few raw coconut shreds it tastes really good, not grassy or bland. My friend Kawika sprinkles it over popcorn if you need another idea...

I have a new bike wheel now thanks to Jason, tomorrow I will ride again, that's cycling, another day another road...

.



18 Comments:

Blogger Chloe said...

You totally need to keep the hula girl on your bike :) That is just too funny!

June 25, 2009 at 1:57 AM

 
Blogger PJ said...

I have to say that usually the food you post on here looks delicious. This, on-the-other-hand, does not look delicious. :)

June 25, 2009 at 3:51 AM

 
Blogger Nibbles said...

Sorry about the ride, Bree. Was the hula girl on Juan or Antonio? Sorry, can't tell from the pic.

Funny story ... The comment that "Parth" (my boyfriend) left on your last entry was actually my comment! He was logged in to Google on our computer and I forgot to log him out before commenting. We had a good laugh about that since you were kind enough to leave a comment on his blog--thanks for that!

June 25, 2009 at 3:53 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

I am a huge fan of Spirulina! It such a huge energy booster for me. I will have to try the powder shakes because I have always taken it in pill form. Sorry about the ride, but you made the best of it!

June 25, 2009 at 4:21 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

I dare you to race with the hula girl! That shake sounds so healthy, but do you have to close your eyes and go to your "happy place" to drink it? I think I would. That must have been one heck of a screw.

(OMG - What is wrong with me? Once again, unintended sexual innuendo. I need to find some sort of 12 step program.)

June 25, 2009 at 4:21 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Love the hula girl, but sorry about your flat! If I had that happen in New York, I definitely would be hitching at risk to my life...lol.

I LOVE that Almond milk! It is exactly the one I drink. Some of them taste a bit funky, but that one is really good.

June 25, 2009 at 4:33 AM

 
Blogger IronBob said...

Sounds like a great new BRICK... bike 40 miles, ride in a car 40 miles, then run. Can I try that at IMFL??

June 25, 2009 at 4:34 AM

 
Blogger greyhound said...

So, you can put me firmly in the anti-liver camp.

But sersly.

It's like really green. Really.

June 25, 2009 at 5:18 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Leave it to you to make something green sound SO tasty!

Sorry to hear about the flat - may today be flat free!

June 25, 2009 at 6:30 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

Good ole Brooke to the rescue!

I was crackin up over the bike jersy thing- that's great you and Kainoa can share clothes now:) The more the merrier! Ha Ha!

June 25, 2009 at 7:08 AM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

where do you get your sprulina?
Is there a brand you feel if better than others?

June 25, 2009 at 8:02 AM

 
Blogger Athena Misty, aka "GeekGirl" said...

My. It certainly is....green. Yes. Very green. Why, I don't think I've seen a greener shake.

June 25, 2009 at 10:13 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Never heard of spirulina. Does it taste funny? :) Will have to seek some out! Glad your wheel is healthy again!

June 25, 2009 at 10:57 AM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

That is a really GREEN shake. I drink the almond milk, I eat the bananas, but I may have to go blindfolded to force that shake down. The only other green shake I have had was one that McDonald's made for St. Patrick's Day when I was a kid. But they were never that green.

I think Hula Girls should do some more ride with you.

June 25, 2009 at 11:55 AM

 
Blogger Julia said...

That is so cute that Kainoa put that hula girl on your bike :) And thaks for swinging by my blog; you're such an inspiration to me!

June 25, 2009 at 12:09 PM

 
Blogger Jacqi said...

No matter how hard I'm training, I cannot get myself to eat anything remotely that healthy! I am the world's pickiest eater - maybe you have a good, healthy recipe for someone like me?!? :)

June 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM

 
Blogger Yasi said...

I like the looks of that shake, I like to experiment with spinach in mine..I wish my little sisters were still young and cute enough to do things like that to my bike

June 25, 2009 at 4:21 PM

 
Blogger Maria said...

Love hula girl :o) that rocks...
...and the Spirulina shake sounds good...haven't used such a hefty spoonful yet...but it really is a great energizer :o)
Hope the ride goes better tomorrow...

June 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home