Aloha!

Thursday, July 2, 2009

'Ekolu...

Look! It's Kainoa, that's his first foto... he's in the belly... just shy of 3 months old. Xterra Maui was my first time racing off-road, my 3rd time ever on a mountain bike to be exact and I was pretty convinced the Gods of Maui were punishing me for attempting the World Champs in my first mountain bike race. I was barfing like a dog, flying over my handle bars into rocks and camera men, and more dizzy than a kid at the fair. A quick trip to the doctor informed me I was very pregnant. Very.

My best pal Leann and I spent an afternoon naming the little baby. Kainoa was the first one I ever liked, it was the name of my favorite student I ever taught. Later I was informed it has multiple Hawaiian meanings, one of them is "strong". After the doctor told me the baby was perfectly healthy even after launching into rocks during Xterra the name seemed fitting. If Kainoa was a girl I wanted to call her Coco. Coco Wee. Everyone made fun of me for that, saying it sounds more like a cereal. Leann did her best to help think of names that his peers won't tease him at school (she's a local Hawaii girl who was showing me the ropes!).



"E noho iho ike opu weuweu, mai ho'oki' eki'e"

A Hawaiian prayer that my child will remain part of the Earth-walking humbly but with an inner self confidence. To have a quiet strength more admirable than self importance, arrogance, and egotism.

HAPPY 3rd (ekolu) BIRTHDAY KAINOA!!

.





21 Comments:

Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Happy Birthday Kainoa! Hope you had an awesome fun day today:)

July 2, 2009 at 7:01 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Yay, happy birthday Kainoa. Hope you and mummy have a great day.

July 2, 2009 at 10:56 PM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Happy Birthday! Now let the REAL fun begin.

July 3, 2009 at 12:34 AM

 
Blogger MJ said...

Happy Birthday Kainoa!

July 3, 2009 at 2:39 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

I love the poem & you both:)

July 3, 2009 at 2:42 AM

 
Blogger Missy said...

OH, happy day big guy!

July 3, 2009 at 3:08 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Breeeeee....I think that is the FIRST running photo..you are NOT smiling in =)
Happy Birthday cutie Kainoa!!!

July 3, 2009 at 3:08 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Happy happy birthday!!!

July 3, 2009 at 3:17 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Hope you had a great day yesterday Kainoa!!

Happy Third Birthday!!!

July 3, 2009 at 3:17 AM

 
Blogger PJ said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Kainoa!

July 3, 2009 at 3:41 AM

 
Blogger kristen said...

Happy birthday to the little one!

p.s. I've been lurking for a while. Love your spirit. and uh, I've done two xterras -- any baby in the womb that survives those are seriously as hardcore as their crazy mamas! He's going to be a great athlete.

July 3, 2009 at 4:56 AM

 
Blogger chr15 said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAINOA!!!
You have a beautiful child Bree!

Love the prayer too... We could all take something from that!

July 3, 2009 at 5:19 AM

 
Blogger Yasi said...

That is the best story for a name ever, it's so fitting! Enjoy the day to both of you.

July 3, 2009 at 5:31 AM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Happy Birthday little dude.

July 3, 2009 at 5:39 AM

 
Blogger Lance Hancock said...

That's awesome. My son turns 3 Sunday. Congratulations big guy!! Keep up the hard work Bree.

July 3, 2009 at 7:33 AM

 
Blogger Martin said...

Hau`oli Lā Hānau!

July 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM

 
Blogger Julia said...

Happy birthday to Kainoa! I hope you both have a special day :)
PS- Ekolu is one of my favorite Hawaiian bands!

July 3, 2009 at 9:49 AM

 
Blogger LeAnn said...

LOL...I remember all this and more...remember we use to say "TACO BELL" in the truck and you would literally throw up! Me and "the other" would crack-up...we were bad.
Anyways, I made something for you...it will be in the mail soon. Love you.

July 3, 2009 at 10:48 AM

 
Blogger Carolyn said...

That is so beautiful Bree, you are the best Mommy ever ;-)

July 3, 2009 at 12:04 PM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Happy Birthday Kainoa!! :)

July 3, 2009 at 1:12 PM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Happy Birthday Kainoa!! Sounds like he was strong even before he was born!

July 3, 2009 at 2:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home