Aloha!

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Just A Little More...



Today was "Suffer Saturday" according to Coach Lance and we did suffer! Part of the pain was that it came after a solid week of training and Sunday race, part of it was because the company (you know, people like Simon Whitfield joined us), the other part was because just when you think you did as much as you can as fast as you can we did more...

The suffering started off with 6x1mile repeats on the trail around Elk Lake. Not coming from any sort of running back ground pre-triathlon this always freaks me out, these mile repeats. Coach Lance gave the intervals: 6:10 for the Andrew McCartney, Simon Whitfield, Brent Poulsen, Adam, and Justin Park group. Then a 7 or 7:15 send off for the Lifesport women. The thing is you had to get (as in HAVE) 90 seconds of rest. My eyes pretty much popped out of my head at that point.

Well, there was speed on Suffer Saturday! Mr. Whitfield was holding 4:25 miles and his crew was just steps behind. As for me... FINALLY a mile-repeat workout worth writing home about! My goal was to do the first one "easy" and get each one faster. My miles went like this-5:44, 5:38, 5:19, 5:29, 5:26, 5:24. AND GOSH DARN IT I was high-fiving coach at the end! That little 5:19 for round 3 was thanks to Justin Park, he told me to just go for one of them, he does that, he just drives one as hard as he could, so I tried it but was kinda scared it would ruin me for the last ones, it turned out okay...

Of course none of this would be possible without Kerri and Mike making me nearly barf to stay in the pack. And it helped watching the boys fly by too...


Our Transition Area...

After that (yes more to suffer), we had a nice ride. WITH a time trial then hill repeats. I was litterally smashed silly and felt like mumbo jumbo on the ride. The time trial was roughly 47 minutes long and the 5x observatory climb kicked my you-know-what! During the time trial all I could think of was the final miles of an Ironman-just wanting to go go go and get it done before the legs fall off. On the hill repeats it was Simon going down hill (way ahead of me) as I was going up-he shouted "go Bree", seriously, when does a Gold medal Olympic winner cheer during a workout!?! Just over 3hrs later it was back to base camp, a quick transition, and we were off and running (again). Today was all about showing how just when you think you can go no more you go further...

HUGE mahalo to Travis Blanton (Lifesport team manager) for refueling us with a GREAT dinner... (and thanks Coach Dan for the fotos!)

After the run I was sideways, upside down, and jello! BUT I got back on the bike and rode home... FINALLY dinner time! And now I must sleep, every Suffer Saturday is followed up by a Super Sunday and if my run shoes serve me correct, it will be super-SUPER LONG RUNNING...

Good Night from Victoria!

.



13 Comments:

Blogger Terrish B said...

Way to go on your mile repeats!!!! You are the brightest athlete there with you cute island girl clothes/colors... I love it, hope you have a great Sunday!

July 18, 2009 at 8:56 PM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Wow!I don't think I could suffer through those workouts in a week, let alone 1 day!! Way to go, what a solid week of training!
-marn

July 18, 2009 at 11:43 PM

 
Blogger Regina said...

oh my Lord! Those mile repeats just sent my brain into implosion mode. I can't even imagine. Good going! I am most impressed. Especially afterward to bike and run again?!

I'm such a lightweight.

July 19, 2009 at 2:45 AM

 
Blogger D said...

Good. You got more than enough training in to cover that I only did a 90min ride yesterday ;)

July 19, 2009 at 4:21 AM

 
Blogger Damie said...

B! Great set of mile repeats! I think you are really figuring out the pacing- AWESOME!!!!!

July 19, 2009 at 6:10 AM

 
Blogger Missy said...

Wow, those chicks have some kick ass looking arms..I must say! Great pix and even greater mile repeats. Those are the kind that make me barf.

July 19, 2009 at 11:30 AM

 
Blogger IronBob said...

Wow!! Now just string a few of those babies (the mile runs) together (about 26 of them) in October and Chrissie will be going, "where DID she go?"

July 19, 2009 at 1:37 PM

 
Blogger RR said...

Impressive mile repeats! Congrats. And congrats on the 1/2 IM finish.

July 19, 2009 at 2:15 PM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

Great job on the mile repeats and getting cheered on by an ITU Stud!

July 19, 2009 at 7:36 PM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Holy crap! You are one Fit Chicka no doubt about that. Looking forward to see when you are racing again.

July 20, 2009 at 2:44 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

That's amazing! Great job Bree! Suffer Saturday sounds so tough but you did it!

July 20, 2009 at 5:18 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Dang girl, you are tuff!

Great work.
tn

July 20, 2009 at 5:24 AM

 
Blogger Julia said...

Wowness. What an incredible day of suffering...err I mean training! I can't even begin to imagine!

July 20, 2009 at 8:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home