Aloha!

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Summer Reading...

Reading the open water tip #472. Look at the pattern on the ocean floor, you can almost line yourself up with sand ripples if they run parallel to the shore and in the direction you are swimming of course. It really makes sighting so much easier & sure beats that black line on pool bottoms!

This post is for all the book nerds that might be in search for something to add to that summer reading list, I thought I'd share mine...

In Defense of Food: I have read this book countless times when I started to seek out my nutrition degree, I think it sums up everything and anything food, and the best advice in the book, "Eat food, mostly plants, and not too much".

The Blue Zones: This is my newest book, I got it when a friend of mine from Costa Rica rubbed it in my face that CR earned the "Happiest country in the world" award, they had less depression and all that other stuff than anywhere else. Australia was 3rd, United States was 114 in case you are curious. Within the 50 United States Hawaii was 2nd least depressed, Florida didn't even make top 10, and Virginia was the happiest. Michigan was the most obese, Cally had the slimmest Americans. Anyways, the book isn't about all that, it just took the 4 Healthiest places in the world and researched these peoples way of life to see what it is that keeps them living into their 100's and smiling every day... I like the book so far, especially reading about my second home (Costa Rica!!).

The Alchemist: Brooke recommend this one to me 2 weeks ago and I read it in 2 days. Its a fast read about a boy in search of his treasure in this world and in the end comes to find it was under his nose all along, but he discovers we have to chase our dreams to realize what they even are in the first place... something like that. Pretty good book if you are lacking motivation in your life to get up and do something...

Exploring Lost Hawaii: When I taught at Kahakai part of my job was teaching "Hawaiiana" and I knew NOTHING... then they hooked me up with a lot of books on the islands and I learned some stuff, I still love finding more island secrets, this is a cool newer one on the shelves...

The Power of a Positive Mom: I read this book when I got pregnant, I am rereading it this summer now that Kainoa is practically an adult! It's from a Christian author so it has a lot of God-loving stuff in it. If you are a mom I reccomend it, it's a good one for sure!

Ocean Star: I'm half way through this book (yes, I start a few books at once, BUT I ALWAYS finish them!) This book lured me in because it was a girls love of the ocean that saves her from a pretty nasty life-I'll save the details, (true story book). It's a good read if you want to hear how someone makes it through a bad patch of life and finds something better all because she didn't give up... I made my sister Brooke read it, and she is NOT a reader, I'm the book nerd of the family, even she likes it!

Happy Reading!!

.



24 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

I could've sworn Mississippi was the most obese.

see you this weekend!!!

July 7, 2009 at 6:43 PM

 
Blogger MJ said...

FYI: Don't rely on tip #472 here in Vancouver this weekend...

...alas, one cannot see the bottom until one's hands are practically touching it...

July 7, 2009 at 7:01 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

We can't see the ocean floor here in SF - sad for us. Thanks for reminding me to pick up a true summer-reading book. We may be surrounded by summer fog here but I can pretend it's warm out by reading a good book!

July 7, 2009 at 7:09 PM

 
OpenID damontucker said...

I see footprints in a few of those patterns.

July 7, 2009 at 7:11 PM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

hmmm...maybe just some of your yummy seaweed snacks you introduced me to last year. I look for those darn things all the time and have never found them.

I am here already...got lots to fill you in on but I'll do that when you get up this way.

July 7, 2009 at 8:33 PM

 
Blogger Maggs said...

I love the book In Defense of Food.

July 7, 2009 at 9:02 PM

 
Blogger Martin said...

Thanks for the recommendations! "In Defense of Food" sounds like a keeper.

July 7, 2009 at 11:15 PM

 
Blogger PancerBali said...

Such a beautiful info. It’s so nice site. We love to see more on this site. Keep on updating… MonkAreRee Bali ***

July 8, 2009 at 12:44 AM

 
Blogger Amy Beth Kloner said...

Long time ago (studying in Mexico), I read the book "El Alchemista" in Spanish... I loved it, despite probably not understanding 100%! I think it's time for another go-around. Good reminder.

But if you liked The Alchemist, you will LOVE "11 Minutes," also by Paulo Coelho. Kinda risque, but completely awesome.

July 8, 2009 at 1:42 AM

 
Blogger Nicole and Nick said...

My client just bought me "Blue Zones" and so far its been a great read! It's all about the simple things in life and don't sweat the small stuff.

July 8, 2009 at 2:19 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

I WILL have to look into the Power of a positive Mom....Have so much fun at camp.....

July 8, 2009 at 3:39 AM

 
Blogger beth said...

hey bree! you are always so crteative mixing up the posts with new and fun stuff- like a nice book list!! we just started a book club and these might help!

love the ocean tip....so much better than the black line.

July 8, 2009 at 4:00 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

No way tip #472 works in NYC, you're lucky if you can see your hand in front of your face in the water.

I am a total book nerd, so thanks for the recommendations. I have it on good authority that "Once a Runner", by John Parker is a really good read especially for people who run. I am still waiting for it from the library (I don't buy books anymore...trying to be green in small ways).

July 8, 2009 at 4:35 AM

 
Blogger Laura said...

The Alchemist is one of my favorite books ever. I think I read it every other year.

Currently I'm reading A Dog and A Hat: An American Bike Racer's Story of Mud, Drugs, Blood, Betrayal, and Beauty in Belgium, (takes place in the 80's with a forward by Bob Roll) which is great while the tour is on.

Thanks Bree!

July 8, 2009 at 4:39 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

Good book recommendations! I am a book nerd too and finding new good ones is a challenge at time!

July 8, 2009 at 4:58 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

In Defense of Food is a great book... I read that a couple of months ago.- I'm gonna check out some others thanks for sharing!

July 8, 2009 at 6:43 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

The Blue Zones book- I gotta read...no surprise on FL due to the economy and all the rich people that buy the beautiful beachfront only to shutter their windows and leave for 8 mos. and not allow anyone to enjoy God's beauty cuz they bought it and we didn't. (I know it's a sensitive subject w/ me) Michigan however- grandma told me she's running around with all her old highschool friends and they're all tiny and petitie! Go figure!

July 8, 2009 at 6:49 AM

 
Blogger GoBigGreen said...

Blue Zones is by Dan Buettner who lives part time in good ol' MN with his lovely bride Cheryl Tiegs. ( i think that is her name) They are doing a pilot of a Blue Zone in Albert Lea, MN south of the twin cities. I dont suggest you go there, there is one lake and not much surfing:) Per Cricket's comment above in the midwest i see that many are super fit ( Lutheran Work Ethic, still on the farm at 5am at the age of 80) or they are super NON FIT. It is feast or famine, literally.
My grandma grew up in North Dakota and never had a warm bath as a kid. Ice baths maybe the new ticket to the blue zone!

July 8, 2009 at 8:02 AM

 
Blogger IronBob said...

You know I was real upbeat today until the "Florida isn't in the top 10" crack. Now I am depressed...

July 8, 2009 at 11:34 AM

 
Blogger Julia said...

In Defense of Food is a book I'd like to read, along with Exploring Lost Hawaii. I've been searching for tickets to Hawaii all day!
And what kind of nutrition degree do you have? That's really neat. I'm really trying to learn more about nutrition.

July 8, 2009 at 12:58 PM

 
Blogger IronBob said...

If you look close enough, behind the guy with the boat motor is the guy with the fins. I found it on line where someone photo shopped in the motor.

July 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

"In Defense of Food" and "The Omnivore's Dilema" are two of my favorite books. They got me to do more cooking. However with trying to pull off a kid's triathlon this weekend, I have been falling back on Subway.

Sighting off the ocean floor worked well for me at the Cancun 70.3 race. I loved seeing the conch shells and sea life as I did that swim.

July 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM

 
Blogger Yasi said...

Love the book list..I just finished reading King Leopold's Ghost, great if you're into history and the scramble for Africa. Now I'm onto Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult, pretty good so far!

July 9, 2009 at 5:30 AM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

I suspect the Nutrition Degree is why we see all of the great food and recipes on your Blog!! Once you publish a cook book, it will be on all of our favorite book lists!!

Have a great race in Vancouver!!

July 9, 2009 at 8:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home