Aloha!

Monday, July 13, 2009

That's Recovery!!

I have a couple FAVORITES when it comes to training camps... for starters, the recovery! Today was DAY ONE of our training camp. To kick it off we got to recover from yesterdays half ironman. A nice swim in the lake to flush around some lactic acid and get the blood flowing. I find an easy swim, bike, or run the day after really helps speed recovery faster than doing nothing.

The most fun recovery however, is a visit to PISE!! Its Canada's Pacific Institute for Sports Excellence (the same place we did that sweat test). It's a well known fact that a hard effort in training or racing tears down the muscles (like a little injury). Once the body undergoes this stress it's important to help speed the recovery so we can do it all over again-better. The healing process requires increased blood flow into the area of an injury to support the process of cellular growth. We can just wait for the cells to heal or we can GET COLD & GET HOT!


For our recovery we hit the cold/hot tubs at PISE.

VERY cold, 2 minutes of near-freezing (actually a good 50-60* will work just fine). It was pretty challenging to keep the muscles relaxed while sitting in ice water. Janet turned white then blue...

The boys were struggling too...
Then it was out of the cold tub and into the HOT TUB! This was perfect. 2 minutes of VERY hot water. You could feel the blood just flowing through your veins and waking up all the junk that was hanging out making the legs feel like bricks!


Then a shower to circulate the blood some more... after that...repeat! Yes, we went 3 rounds of cold-hot-cold. ALWAYS end on COLD!

It was pretty fun switching tubs and showers for 30 minutes. I wish I had this available at home! After the hot/cold it was time for some stretch (we are reading the red info about it), wish I could tell you more but I had brain freeze and forgot the benefits of stretch therapy... maybe if you click the photo and zoom in you can read for yourself...


AND if recovery doesn't get any better... I am once again totally blessed to be hosted by the Regensburg family!! Every time I think I can cook Marsha makes me re-think my kitchen skills. Tonight's dinner was once again caught by Bruce... I could get used to this!

Most of us don't have a million dollar facility like PISE and gourmet chefs to help us recover, but we can try. Team mate Lisa invented a GREAT way to mimic the HOT/COLD baths (read to the bottom of her post to see the photo how she set it up). She uses her own tub for the hot water (continue filling it HOT) and bought a giant Rubbermaid tub to fill with ice and water!! In your very own bathroom you can go cold-hot-cold!!

As for the fine meals... You're on your own unless Bruce and Marsha invite you over! Tomorrow is back in the training game with a run-bike-swim...

Happy recovery!

.



12 Comments:

Blogger ADC said...

That seems like so much fun. Not sure about that cold though ;)

July 13, 2009 at 10:26 PM

 
OpenID damontucker said...

I must say... that if I wasn't a married man... I would be commenting much more on your blog.

Thanks for being the "eye candy" for the FBI Site.

And yes... if I were a guy... I would be recovered real quickly after that hot tub.... LOL..

Just teasing... (you guys are all over 18 aren't you... never can tell with these ladies now a days that keep in such good shape)

July 14, 2009 at 3:06 AM

 
Blogger NJ said...

Sounds like a good torture! Love those ice baths...but probably not as cold as you were doing there. LOL

July 14, 2009 at 3:51 AM

 
Blogger Yasi said...

AWESOME job on the race Bree! Congratulations, you totally deserve it..enjoy the recovery, it looks like a blast; hot/cold baths, friends, stretching and delicious food? Sweet deal.

July 14, 2009 at 5:43 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Great team bonding session as well!

July 14, 2009 at 5:55 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

That is so cool! Literally and figuratively. So this is how you pros stay so on top of your game!

July 14, 2009 at 7:25 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

It's like hot and cold spicy-triathlete soup. Delicious!

July 14, 2009 at 9:03 AM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Way to go on your race Bree!! That is a great way to recover in Victoria, So much fun doing the ice baths and showers when you dont have to clean up the mess. Glad your having fun there,, I am sure the next few days are going to be much more work and lactic acid build up. Have fun with your team!!

July 14, 2009 at 9:32 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

Man the jokes that could come from the pics in this post. damontucker barely even cracked the surface. I will keep it clean though and simply ask if its some genius coaching method Paul uses making you eat staring at yourself in the mirror?

July 14, 2009 at 10:58 AM

 
Blogger greyhound said...

If I hadn't experienced many such ice baths in the past, this post would be totally hawt. As it is, . . . not so much. You have no idea how the "guys" "struggle" in such an environment.

July 15, 2009 at 8:16 AM

 
Blogger beth said...

haha.. i like the "triathlete soup" comment...looks like PISE is awesome! what a blast you're having, i love reading the canada adventures- i'm just now catching up- been out of town....

July 15, 2009 at 1:17 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I wish I could prepare meals like that. Well I guess I could, only that I am too busy to make the effort. I eat the potato, but I don't have any herbs to put on it. I guess I still get the carbs out of it.
Sounds like fun there, and I'll probably have to bring my wife if I decide to attend the training camp.

July 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home