Aloha!

Saturday, August 29, 2009

How NOT To Get Your Slipper's Stolen...

September should have a special holiday in Hawaii. Maybe "Stolen Slipper September" or something. Each and every September dozens of slippers are stolen from various surf/swim spots scattered around Kona beaches. I'm not saying it doesn't happen all year, but September and half of October are the months where "sticky fingers" just happen to linger.
.
November-August we leave bags of stuff and slippers of all prices at the sea wall or white shelves and after the ocean swim everything is still where you left it. Last Ironman flood someone took my $2 Locals, no joke, $2 pink locals! This year while visiting the Philippines I had a brilliant idea the moment my eyes saw this wall! (see the above photo). There are more slippers in one spot than I have ever seen in anywhere here! AND that was just one spot on the wall!! The store clerk was looking at me funny snapping this photo or I would have taken more...
.
Anyways, I got this idea... if the fancy slippers of my friends are getting stolen and the cheap ones of mine, then people must not be going for the price value, they are going for the "look".
.
I'm about to reveal my new slippers...but I must give fair warning, they are not exactly rated G.

TAAAA-DAAAAAA! What do you think?! GREAT plan Bree Wee! Get slippers with a booty on them, no girl is going to steal those and my feet are way to small for a boy to take them! ha ha... Darrin and I were dying laughing at these in the shop! We bought some for us and I bought some for a few of my friends in Kona! This might just be the first Ironman season that none of my slippers come up missing!
In other news... training is slowly working it's way back in after a mini-Philippines recovery. Today was an hour of wheel hugging behind 10 of the boys. Gotta love that draft and of course the company! The next hour was with Kate-O, that was no wheel hugging, just girl talk of the usual girly topics. Then the fun began... me, myself, and I, for 4 more hours!
.
I'm starting to embrace this solo riding, it's helping me find my own pace and some ways to keep myself focused without my training buds. Todays ride was a lot of scoping out the Ironman course (as if I don't see it everyday). Today I picked a bunch of spots on the course and left a few of my favorite memories at those spots out there. I'm going to let them linger until race day, then when I pass those spots I will get to live those moments again and zoom right through the 112 miles full of happy days all over that course.
This is one of my very most favorite spots on the course. It was during my first Ironman. I'm not sure I want to share what happened here on that day, it was a good moment though and I always look forward to being in this spot while riding the course...
I also used the long ride as another opportunity to practice my nutrition. Lovin' it...phewwww. Now if I could just get the pacing down and keep my focus ALL DAY LONG. Belinda Granger is one of my very most favorite Ironman athletes, (And I hope she claims her IM Canada title again tomorrow), and something I learned from her is that you have to be patient as a rookie. She has almost triple the amount of years in sport that I have. When she was here in June she reminded me I am young in sport and that even has she is getting older she is at her best right now, her best ever! That's going to be what I need to contiune to strive for to make it in this LONG DISTANCE stuff...patience...
.
Tomorrow is a swim, where I might or might not see a rusty white bike, then a run...it feels good to be back to some training, especially for a race that I am so happy to be part of this season! Even if I do lose slippers for it every year!!
.
Ahonui (patience),
Bree



17 Comments:

Blogger triitagain said...

I read your post below about 3 year old power struggles. My son is 5 now and 3 was very hard for us, too. 4 was so much easier and 5 is even better. Different and no Mama's baby left, but more like a little buddy.

August 30, 2009 at 2:52 AM

 
Blogger Greyt Times said...

I received a pair of Locals as part of a goodie bag over 5 years ago while visiting the big island.....and to this day they are my favorite pair of flip flops (slippers)! They are still comfy and I've never gotten a blister like I get from every other pair. I'm not surprised they get stolen when the tourist numbers are up.

August 30, 2009 at 2:53 AM

 
Blogger D said...

Uh oh. Those were YOUR slippers? Sorry, buddy. I'll bring them back this year for ya.

August 30, 2009 at 3:22 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Those slippers are the bomb! Bree, you never fail to make me giggle. Thanks for that!

Love the idea of leaving good memories out on the course to blossom.

And I'm encouraged by the "get better as you get older" message!

August 30, 2009 at 4:22 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Those flip flops are a riot! That photo also make me laugh; I've never seen so many flip flops in one place.

Man, I hope you are right about getting better as you get older, because I am getting older and older by the minute.

August 30, 2009 at 5:14 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

I can't think of anything grosser than wearing some stranger's old flip-flops. What would possess people to steal them? Strange mainlanders.

I don't know if I would be able to wear your new flip-flops - I would be looking at my feet all day. (Sick, I know.)

Keep hammering that training and practice your pacing.

August 30, 2009 at 6:09 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

I know you mentioned that you did some modeling or something a while back, but I figured it was triathlon related, not surfing. And didn't expect you end up on the bottom of your own sandals! ;-)

It is about time your booty started pulling its weight and helped to pay the bills. haha

August 30, 2009 at 6:43 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Be careful about your plan. There are SOME girls that will like those slippers ;) (not that there is anything wrong with that)

August 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Those flip-flops (slippers) are FANTASTIC!!! I predict that some pre-teen boy will try to see if they fit his feet. ROTFL!

August 30, 2009 at 2:12 PM

 
Blogger MM said...

It's not just a big island phenomenon. I 'lost' a pair today.

August 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

 
OpenID damontucker said...

I hate to break it to you Bree... but those are the FIRST SLIPPAHS I WOULD STEAL!!!

LOL

August 30, 2009 at 5:25 PM

 
Blogger Kim said...

i dont know how you can put down the Cerasport - this weekend i tried the regular and the ex1 and nearly vomited!!!!

August 31, 2009 at 5:16 AM

 
Blogger MJ said...

I think those slippers will be history the first time you leave them.... they're too cool to survive long...

August 31, 2009 at 6:44 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

They will just think....WOW these are BREE WEE's slippers...they won't care if there is an ASS on there....um sista, I think you need to come up with a NEW sticky finger plan:).......

August 31, 2009 at 10:11 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Love the pics and nice sandals!
Thanks for your congrats post :)
Keep up the great training...and smiling!!
-marn

September 1, 2009 at 5:46 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

I need some Locals!! Careful come Oct. 6th... fair warning

September 1, 2009 at 6:59 AM

 
Blogger chr15 said...

I laughed so hard when I saw those flip flops. I post on Beginner Triathlete dot com =, I share a private joke with some Canadian triathlete's about stealing flip-flops from beaches whilst their owners have gone in for an open water swim session.

So, I hope you don't mind but I have 'virtually' stolen your flip flops from your blog and posted them in mine, my most high profile 'heist' to-date.

September 8, 2009 at 10:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home