Aloha!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Okole Maluna!

It means "Bottoms up" in case you are wondering about that title... today has been one of those days ALL DAY LONG. The kind that you feel as if you are falling on your okole no matter how hard you try to stay upright! My friend said I have the "post Ironman blues", I think I am just a little homesick, which baffles me because I AM HOME WITH KAINOA! And despite drinking the water in the Philippines everyday I am not sick...
.
The morning started with breakfast, more food on the floor than on the plates and mommy vs 3yr old I lose again! Kainoa and I both ended up in tears but shook it off and left the mess till we felt better.
.
Today is day 1 of Ironman Hawaii training (well, day one of the final block). Motivation and excitement is at an all time high but coach is at an all time low with me. Since I fumbled my plan at Philippines 70.3 I think he is considering firing me as his athlete...not really...but ignoring me for disrespecting him and the plan is making him not want to talk to me for a few days...sheesh! Strike 6 already for this day in my life! Oh, I also found out today I will not be able to race the road race around Oahu! Grrr... maybe one of the best 112 mile races ever...make that strike 7...
.
When I have one of these days where I am homesicky feeling for life in a 3rd world country and I miss my moments in Costa Rica I get in this mood where I feel like I have to give all my clothes away and not use the dishwasher for weeks. Then I refuse to buy groceries till all the food in my house is gone. The only way to explain it is that it feels like less is more...and I had that empty feeling for Costa Rica so bad that I had to fill it up by having less...I know, I'm kinda weird, I have this incedibly blessed life and yet I reminisce about life back in Costa Rica where I would wash all my clothes by hand, wear the same shorts for days, and eat only beans and rice for weeks! Most the day has felt like that... so much to do... yet none of it felt good, just busy. It was chores and errands and deadlines for some papers I am supposed to be writing...blah...back on my okole because I am so far behind getting any of it done. Again, the only thing that ever cures this kind of day for me is to forget about me and what I gotta do. So... Kainoa and I created a mission...he actually likes this part of my "moody day". I became good friends with Tracy and Cyrill (the girls from Cam Sur that took care of us). Everyday rain or shine they showed up at my door ready to make my bed or take out trash. I always felt so bad having them do it, so I tried to have the bed made and trash empty before they got there. Then we could talk story rather than clean. We had so much fun learning of each other's culture and they taught me a lot about living simple and smiling no matter what. I always tried to show them how much I appreciate them and their kindness. I knew they didn't have much yet they kept giving. My last day they brought me home made Pilinut treats, it might not sound like a big deal but that was a huge deal for them to do that when they work so much just to put food on their table.
.
To rid this blah feeling I told Kainoa we have to shop for our new Filipino friends. I happened to have a $100 Walmart gift card and knew it would be the perfect thing to put to use to make a care package to send back to them in the Philippines. After filling a cart full of little things we get to the cash register to pay. Kainoa likes to hold the Walmart card. Well, this time he dropped it, lost it, and is feeling pretty bad. Of course I can't yell at him, it was his way of helping and he felt bad. If you have ever seen me run, I ran faster than that retracing our steps all over Walmart!
.
We never found the card. I kinda felt bummed...but then I remembered the entire purpose of this trip to Walmart, to make someone else's day better. Losing that card probably made the person who found it so happy! While I'm mumbling about my "blah" day they are probably calling everyone they know rambling about how awesome their day is and how they found a 100 bucks to make it better! Hopefully it was someone who really needed $100 bucks to Walmart! I was trying to teach Kainoa not to feel bad about it, maybe in the long run we needed it less. We paid for our things and all of a sudden that dark cloud that had me feeling blah all day long was suddenly gone.
.
Now it is WAY past my bedtime, Kainoa is sleeping after a million bedtime stories, and tomorrow is a new day, I'm hoping not to wake up tired.
.
Sweet Dreams from Kona!
Bree



21 Comments:

Blogger Oscarjet said...

Nice pics !!!!!!! El miercoles 2 de septiembre tenemos fecha programada de parto si antes no ha nacido el BB !!!!!!!! recta final !!! besos y abrazos !!!!!!

August 27, 2009 at 12:52 AM

 
Blogger miles99999 said...

You're a very good person, so thoughtful and selfless. I hope you got a good nights sleep and that Thursday is a giant leap forward in your final phase of your training for the big one.

August 27, 2009 at 2:17 AM

 
Blogger Nibbles said...

What a nice thing for you to do, Bree. I know it probably won't make you feel any better to hear a stranger age-grouper say this, but I had a crappy day yesterday too. Lost my frickin' Road ID!

August 27, 2009 at 3:35 AM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

Pay forward great to teach your boy http://gosu02.tripod.com/id47.html

August 27, 2009 at 4:22 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Despite you blahs, you have incredible perspective.

I'm sure those women will be so thrilled to receive your care package, it isn't often a kindness like that occurs (which really is too bad).

When my son was asking for a new toy car the other day (as he often does), I tried to explain that he can't always get what he asks for and should be happy about what he has. That there are some children who have no toys to play with. He then rounded up all his Hot Wheels and dumped them in a bag to donate to "kids who don't have any toys". It's nice to know I he "gets it".

August 27, 2009 at 4:24 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Just when it seems the gloomiest, the SUN comes out!!! But you know that. :)
Have a great Thursday!

August 27, 2009 at 4:25 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

We all have those days Bree! I love how you turned it around and even though he lost the card you made it a good lesson. I'm sure they will find it and be so thankful also. Hawaii is coming! You can do it!

August 27, 2009 at 5:11 AM

 
Blogger tinaparker87 said...

I like you tend to think of the other side of things to make the situation better. I'd like to give up every now and then, but cannot seem to do that at all. Thoma (my 8 yr old) will tell his team if they lost at least they had fun. I'm not sure his coach likes to hear that at all. I need to find motivation to get back tko waht a love, training with the team. Still trying to find that road and live miles away. Mission Bay is a month away, and I will be some where in the back of the pack! Keep going Bree you are great! Love the pic of you and Kainoa in BW.

August 27, 2009 at 6:10 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Bree - one of the things I love about you is your honesty and how open you are about life, training, and just "stuff" in general. It sounded like a tough day - but you got through it! You did it!! And in the process, you kept a good perspective and upbeat attitude - something that's tough for even the best of us. Kainoa is lucky to have YOU for a Mom!

Hang in there - as JH likes to say "onwards and upwards!"

Today is a new day - sending you good vibes from CA. :)

August 27, 2009 at 6:17 AM

 
Blogger Julia said...

You are so inspiring Bree. You definitely took lemons and made the best lemonade. You are so kind and thoughtful; I'm sure your friends in the Philippines are going to adore your care package, and the person who found the wal mart card is going to remember it forever. You just made multiple peoples' day a lot brighter :)

August 27, 2009 at 6:47 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Kainoa has the best mom in the whole wide world!

August 27, 2009 at 10:51 AM

 
Blogger Cerrone said...

I already had so much respect for you Bree and when I read this I found a lot more reasons to admire and respect you. You are truly amazing, you are an Angel!

I can't even begin to describe to you how Tracy and Cyrill will feel when they will recieve their packages. I know the feeling and they will be forever grateful. So please also accept my Thank You for your wonderful gifts.

Mabuhay!

August 27, 2009 at 11:01 AM

 
Blogger Eboni said...

I found your blog a few weeks ago. I must say I really enjoy reading it. You have a great ability to be amazingly positive and I totally admire that. Your outlook is really wonderful.

August 27, 2009 at 1:09 PM

 
Blogger Marni said...

What a great post! I know how happy I am to find $1 on the ground so $100 will absolutely make someone's day!! You are awesome!

August 27, 2009 at 2:54 PM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

What a great way to make yourself feel better - make someone else's day better. You are a rare soul!

Listen to your coach about your pacing plan! You have the fitness and the experience - now use your ears and your brain! (Nice tough love, right?) You can have such a fantastic race at Kona. Keep working hard!

August 27, 2009 at 4:05 PM

 
Blogger monsterkeon said...

simply amazing!

August 27, 2009 at 5:29 PM

 
Blogger Kiet said...

Good stuff Bree, this was a nice read to end my day.

August 27, 2009 at 6:30 PM

 
Blogger Carolyn said...

These are the days that remind us that we are alive...they force us to look deeper, taste more, and live fuller. You're a beauty Bree, love ya much !!

August 27, 2009 at 7:47 PM

 
Blogger Ange said...

Your heart is so inspirational...so often I read your blog and it changes the way I look at life. And it's not about swimbikerun. You are one of a kind...and you are teaching your son to be a phenomenal human being. I wish I lived in Kona so I coudl be your friend and learn even more from you. Since I can't...please keep sharing these stories.

August 28, 2009 at 7:57 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

Your heart is so inspirational...so often I read your blog and it changes the way I look at life. And it's not about swimbikerun. You are one of a kind...and you are teaching your son to be a phenomenal human being. I wish I lived in Kona so I coudl be your friend and learn even more from you. Since I can't...please keep sharing these stories.

August 28, 2009 at 7:57 AM

 
Blogger Swim Coach Finder said...

Somethings like that is a control no control situation and you did an awesome job at creating a good experience out of a bad one!

September 1, 2009 at 6:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home