Aloha!

Friday, August 21, 2009

Philippines 70.3...It's Time...

Since arriving in the Philippines it really has felt a lot like I opened a treasure box and each moment here I am pulling out a jewel or diamond, something beautiful and shiny! I remember last year one of my Filippino friends telling me about this race, in that instance my heart said, "GO". I wanted so much to have it on my race schedule. It wasn't until after coming in very last place at REV3 that I was able to convince coach I just have to step away from the mainland races and go some where I am passionate about and re-spark my love of triathlon and racing. And here I am...
Today I got my bike all ready. I've decided to borrow one of the locals bikes, keep it local style, you know. For sure my competition will be happy to have me on this bike! I'm pretty sure Argon 18 won't mind as long as I slap one of their stickers on it!
I'm also feeling rested and fueled! One of my new Korean friends that I was lucky enough to help out during the training camp heard I like (LOVE) seaweed...and he brought me some! That is how it is here, everyone keeps on giving and sharing and loving... it's so similar to the same ALOHA I feel at home in Hawaii...
Of course I needed to spread the aloha too... so when my new race suits showed up, (thank you Trakkers and Splish), the beautiful girl who cleans my room everyday got one too! She was almost in tears, then I told her no need to clean my room, just go play...Truly, it was like another jewel or something having that moment with her and seeing her appreciation over something like a new swim suit...
Then it was time for a swim in the jacuzzie, I mean lake. Honestly, it is beyond bath water here. I don't even think skinny dipping could keep this swim cool... I have yet to see any sea creatures but Kristian did hit me with a giant stick of some sort, so there are things in there...
The swim course really is beautiful. It looks pretty long to me...one giant loop in the big lake followed by a smaller loop in the little lake. I am definitely looking forward to running from one lake to the other, what an adventure as long as blondie doesn't trip up on the carpet!
It has been so much fun getting to know the little town, the other athletes, and the race organizers. By far this is the best race I have been to all season long, and I haven't even raced it yet! The governor has been here meeting us and he told us that it all began with a dream. This town is full of malnutrition, poverty, and not much but the shoes on their feet, some have no shoes... By bringing sport here he believes we can be examples to the children, showing them that you can dream big, reach for the stars, and to never give up. The entire town has been out cheering for us and feeling inspired. They all want to run along side us and ride bikes. I can't even begin to describe the feeling of being here and wanting to just love on this little place the way they are loving on us...
Finally, have you ever wondered what it looks like to sit at the press conference and look out into the crowd or camera crews? If so, here ya go, this had me cracking up for so long I could not even take the meeting serious! Okay... that's a wrap, not much else to do but relax till race day. Believe me I want to go outside and play, but I am forcing myself to sit here and REST till show time! Lots of hugs from the Philippines!
Bree
.



8 Comments:

Blogger D said...

I will clean your house all week I'm in Kona for a Wee Splishy. I'll even choke down some Spam (and then clean up my own puke after it doesn't stay down).

Have a FUN race!!! See that, P? FUUUUUN!

August 21, 2009 at 8:20 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Looks like you are having so much fun and meeting many new friends. Have a great race Bree!!!

August 21, 2009 at 8:33 PM

 
Blogger Marni said...

wow-just amazing pis! you are totally taking it all in. I'm sure you are relaxed and ready to rock n' roll! can't wait to see the results and hear the report (with pics of course!!)
-marn
*if you get a chance, get some jackfruit (ask a local to get some from a tree). It was my FAVORITE fruit when I visited. You will LOVE it!

August 22, 2009 at 1:08 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Rock the race. Have fun

August 22, 2009 at 3:22 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Hugs right back at ya, Bree! Sending tons of good vibes your way for a STELLAR race! Of course, have boat loads of fun while doing it... which I know you will! Kick it hard!!!

August 22, 2009 at 3:48 AM

 
Blogger Lisa G said...

That is so awesome! Great to hear you are enjoying your time there and that the event is a positive thing for the local community. Have a fantastic race tomorrow!

August 22, 2009 at 8:29 AM

 
Blogger MJ said...

Have a great race!

August 22, 2009 at 1:44 PM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Sounds like you are in a great frame of mind. I am watching the race right now and you are rocking the bike - first at the turn around. Keep it up and have fun!

August 22, 2009 at 3:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home