Aloha!

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Farmers Market Fuel...

Lucky us islanders, surrounded by water and colorful fuel! Kainoa and I took a quick trip to the market today and thought we would share some of the good stuff we found! If you are planning to come to the island for Ironman, here is our list of what might help fuel your swimbikerunning addictions!
.
Pineapple: Loaded with vitamin C, manganese, B1, B6, copper, magnesium, and fiber. The pineapple also has enzymes that help digest protein (good for those of us racing Ironman or anything long, that eat a big burger after a long ride!). The coolest, pineapple contains bromelain that helps reduce inflammation & swelling! Say goodbye to those over-the-counter things and get a pineapple!


Lychee: LOTS of Vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus. Yummy on the grill or made into a salsa for fish. OR break and eat as is!



Avocado: Unsaturated fats, help reduce cholesterol. Has vitamin C, K, and folate. The avocado also makes a REALLY good replacement for dairy products that are needed for tuna recipes and egg salads. Watermelon: A good source of WATER! Helps with hydration, lower in calories than most other fruits, high in antioxidants & lycopene.



Coconut: 5 essential electrolytes, potassium, and the water is great for hydration. In fact, back in the days of WW1 coconuts were used an an IV to dehydrated and injured soldiers!

Dragon Fruit (pitaya): Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, and a bit of calcium. The little fruits also help with respiratory troubles-so if the vog bothers you while on the island try this!! Also good for those with diabetes, as it helps create a balance-replace for rice.

Liliko'i (or passion fruit): Good fix of niacin, potassium, vitamin C and A. Super fruit used for sweet Hawaiian jams, juices, cheesecakes, ice creams, and YOU CAN EAT THE SEEDS!

Sugar Cane: A local sweetener...a candy for the keiki...or a little something if you are bonking! Japanese Egg Plant: Vitamin C and K, Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Folate, Potassium and Manganese. Also a touch of iron. Grill it with some fish and add a bit of Hawaiian sea salt for your pre-race sodium snack!! (low in calories, only 20 per serving!)






Lemons and Limes: More vitamin C, B6, potassium, folic acid, flavonoids, phytochemical limonene, lots of antioxidants, help boost white blood cells, and the lime is also an antibiotic so squeeze it all over your rice!

Mango: Vitamins A, B, C, E, fiber, potassium, and magnesium. They also hold an enzyme that helps with digestion. This is a FAVORITE fruit of the Hawaiian gecko!

Papaya: Loaded with antioxidants, carotene's, vitamin ,(more than in an orange!), E, A, folic acid, potassium, fiber, papain (an enzyme that helps break up protein), helps with free radicals (like the sunshine that you ride your bike in ALL day long), as well as helps with sports related injuries to the muscles. Eat it like the locals: Squeeze a lime all over it!


Star fruit: Mostly known for its fiber, Iron, and 45% vitamin C! Also looks cool on serving dishes at local restaurants!!

Bananas: Potassium, B6, Vitamin C, help reduce inflammation & cramping, loaded with electrolytes, helps treat certain ulcers. GREAT to use in smoothies for the HOT Kona days...

.

Okay, thats just a few, the rest you'll have to explore for yourself because there are SO many on the island!! Happy eating.


.



17 Comments:

Blogger Nottage Family said...

Thank you for sharing this....Tad is working w/Mary on personal training....slowly building and adapting to getting the blood moving around...it so happens; given that both of us have gained considerable weight this year that nutrition will be the focus with Mary for Tad this week; and since I want to beat him to our goal weights this information is very useful; our garden is ready to grow again.....I am too high on the fruits and not enough color on the vegetables......but I do so admire someone who has so much knowledge before age 30 of how to fuel the body; care for it and know which is which when it comes to what you are consuming......Is Dr. Traub a nutritionist? Just curious........Love you, Team Nottage

September 6, 2009 at 6:45 PM

 
Blogger Mama Simmons said...

Looks like some awesome fruit there, Bree! I LOVE lilikoi. There's a tree that spits ripe ones out at me on one of my runs. :)

Too bad we missed you here this weekend! It was a good ride today!

September 6, 2009 at 8:29 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Nice selection. Shame I won't be at the island but I am off to search for sme of those here in the UK :)

September 6, 2009 at 11:56 PM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

I am having a really hard time not cutting into the pineapple I bought at the market yesterday. I have to save it for tonight to fix with dinner. This is tough because I could smell it when I walked into the kitchen to return my breakfast bowl to the sink.

September 7, 2009 at 2:05 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Wow! You are making me feel guilty for not eating as healthy as I should. Maybe if I did I could qualify to come there, eh? :)

September 7, 2009 at 4:00 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

I love all those fruits!! Although some are more difficult or near impossible to get here. I also like my Lychees in a martini! ha!

Pineapple..my all time favorite. YUM!!

September 7, 2009 at 6:20 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Yummy stuff! Dragon fruit is so pretty when you cut into it too!

September 7, 2009 at 6:39 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer Harrison said...

I had to crack up at this post today. JUST yesterday, I sent Jerome out to the grocery store b/c I was making a fruit salad for a BBQ party. I asked him to bring home some Pineapple and Kiwi (we already had the "standard" watermelon, blueberries, etc).

He came home later and said they did not have Pineapple and the Kiwi looked awful.

Ah, Chicago.

Then, I read this post. LOL :)

September 7, 2009 at 8:56 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Bree, I spy a lovely handmade seashell picture frame!! :)

September 7, 2009 at 10:40 AM

 
Blogger Train-This said...

When I come to Hawaii I have so many new fruits to try! And Kaiona's chin is HEALING GREAT!

September 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

these pics are making me so hungry--and wishing that we had such a wide variety at Chicago farmer's markets. Love the run down of nutrients too!

September 7, 2009 at 12:42 PM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

You islanders have the greatest fruit. Even the stuff we can get here in MN looks so much better in your pictures. Lucky!

Hope the training is going well.

September 7, 2009 at 3:39 PM

 
Blogger Marni said...

I LOVE starfruit!!I want to visit you and go to the farmers market! You think I can bring all that back to Florida??? :)

September 8, 2009 at 1:08 AM

 
Blogger Runner Leana said...

I wish we had fruit like that at our farmers market here! Thanks for sharing!

September 8, 2009 at 8:10 AM

 
Blogger Shelby said...

Bree, these are great recommendations for products from the Kona area, but don't forget what you can get at the Waimea farmers' markets: local grass fed beef and lamb (some made into sausage), great greens (chard, kale, arugula, etc.), yacon, sweet potatos, the best tomatoes.

September 8, 2009 at 8:18 AM

 
Blogger Julia said...

I loved this post! Thanks for the super useful info on all the fruits. I am now sooooo excited to go to HI in 10 days and hit up some local farmer's markets! Hawaiian mangoes are the best!

September 8, 2009 at 12:28 PM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Super, Yum! I think I can eat my weight in watermelon each week right now!

September 9, 2009 at 3:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home