Aloha!

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Happy Hawaii...

Today was a happy day in Hawaii. I got to ride my new bike! AND I love it, SO MUCH! We just fit...it made me want to ride...and tomorrow, (lucky me) I have a VERY long ride! The boys were admiring Kalani too...
...and one of them tried to steal it! ha ha... my bike pretty much rode himself right back to me! AND, being "Slipper Stealing September" I have VERY cool news! Not only have none of my slippers been stolen yet, I got a NEW pair in the mail from my friend Todd (Mahaloooooo Todd!!) However, being the land of Spam these will not leave my feet because I know these would be the first ones stollen from the kahakai!!
Speaking of "kahakai" or beach in Hawaiian, I made a list of some pretty common Hawaiian words heard around the island, (just in case you are coming for Ironman Hawaii). A hui ho!!
Hala kahiki (pineapple), pulelehua (butterfly)
Tutu (grandma), ohana (family), lokahi (work together), mahalo (thank you)
Wana (sea urchin), opu'u (gobies), a'ama (crab), pipipi (nerites/sea snails)
Anuenue (rainbow), ahi (fire), aina (land), wai (water, not sea water)
pali (cliff), nalu (wave), malama (preserve/protect), ha'aha'a (being humble)
Makai (ocean), mauka (mountain) , moku (island)
Naia (dolphin), kohola (whale), mele (song, like those sung by the naia & kohola's)
Hoku (star), akamai (wise)
Aloha (love), keiki (children), kama'aina (native born)
Mahina (Moon)
Niu (coconut)
Honu (turtle), moana (ocean/sea) , limu (seaweed)
Lei (flower or nut necklace), kokua (get it done, respect), pono (fair/just)
Kahakai (beach), palama (palm tree)
.
Happy Tuesday from beautiful Hawaii...
Bree
.



16 Comments:

Blogger D said...

Todd, I know you're reading this. My birthday is on October 13th. If I don't have something in my mailbox, I'm comin down to MN and kickin your butt!

Sorry to hijack your blog, Bree :)

September 8, 2009 at 6:34 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Nice nee bike Bree!!!

September 9, 2009 at 12:14 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

I love the bike and absolutely love all the pics of Hawaii!!!!!

September 9, 2009 at 3:24 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

A beautiful post! Ya know, Hawaiian words are very pretty to just 'read'. They go hand-in-hand with the beautful islands, that's for sure! :o)

Gorgeous new bike!

September 9, 2009 at 3:52 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Love the new bike...congrats! The dictionary is great....mark and I will try and learn a few words ;)
tn

September 9, 2009 at 4:58 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Spam slippers? Who would have thought?

Thanks for the translations. I love the Hawaiian language, everything sounds so lovely. I think it may be time for a return trip.

September 9, 2009 at 5:03 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Glad you like the slippers. D - how 'bout I send you a can of SPAM? Good, huh, huh?

I love the pics and the dictionary - such beautiful sounds words with so few letters.

Have a good ride!

September 9, 2009 at 5:49 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

I am really liking the white. Good call.

September 9, 2009 at 7:24 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

THANKS for all the Hawaiian words! Awesome! LOVE the bike - what a beauty! :)

September 9, 2009 at 8:00 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

good stuff. Beautiful language to know...

September 9, 2009 at 9:30 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Awesome slippers! (AND BIKE!!) I want to Pali jump (what's the word for jump??) after IM!!! :)

September 9, 2009 at 10:11 AM

 
Blogger Ryan said...

Thanks for the words, Marit and I should be practicing because we'll be there soon.

Oh, and thanks for the reminder of Spam Musubi. I haven't had or thought about it in years and since qualifying for Kona I've made it twice...Mahalo!

September 9, 2009 at 11:35 AM

 
Blogger Heidi Austin said...

thanx for sharing! I'll have to take notes for when I for when I force my hubby to take a job out in Hawaii!

September 9, 2009 at 12:27 PM

 
Blogger Yasi said...

Great picture dictionary! And I love the new bike too.

September 9, 2009 at 3:38 PM

 
Blogger Caroline said...

I'm with Charisa! You should lead a Pali jumping excursion after IM. I'm sure our legs will generate great propulsion off the cliffs! Maybe we could call it Pali falling ;)

September 9, 2009 at 5:04 PM

 
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Wow! GREAT pics!

September 10, 2009 at 10:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home