Aloha!

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

In The Moment...

Yesterday I cracked. I could not take another minute of ONLY swimbikeruneatsleep. I made it about 10 days, that was REALLY good for me. All cliff jump invites, boat ride invitations, fiestas, I turned down. Me and a bunch of movies...thankfully Pablo and Monroe kept me company on a few of them. Yesterday was my "recovery" day of swim only. That meant I would have about 12 hours till bed time... the thought of 12 hours of inside activity and movies just about crushed me. I got all hot and sweaty, like someone addicted to something and needed a fix and I cracked!
.
Dave gathered the long boards, I gathered the boys, and we went to play in very tiny surf on very big boards. It made me feel so much better to live my life with some play, some balance, some friends. We topped it off with lunch and I called it a GREAT DAY! I'm back to swimbikeruneatsleep now though, honestly, I'm not complaining, LOVE all those activities, I just LOVE more stuff too. Kainoa and I just got home from Blockbuster where we picked up 6 movies! Phewwwww, sounds like a lot of fun, too much for one girl! In fact, if anyone is bored you are invited over for movie morning, movie day, and movie night if I am not training...I'll even cook! This time I really will make it till IM day...I've grounded myself...

Back to this day... I woke up very happy...refreshed to have had a fix of some life on Monday. Met a few friends from Oahu to swim the Ironman loop with me, we got to touch and kiss the dolphins. It was far from a "float" session as I tried to work my way to the buoy chasing the dolphins.
.
From there the day got even better!! It was time to meet up with the famous Luis De Latorre for hills on da bike. My head has not been right the past 10 days without my usual zesty activities, they are my escape, my balance and without them I feel off balance. SOOOOO I did what I do when I need help, I call Luis to train with me...get my focus back in the groove, (maybe I should not confess that), but it's true, I feel like I have 2 left feet when I traded my life for movies. It makes me happy and I train and race better happy fully alive. Luis helps me on my most challenging training sessions, pushes me to my best, and then helps me get over my slumps. Today he told me it works because he sees so much of himself in me when he was my age...nice...that means I'll grow up to be really fast too! He just gets where I am, where I want to go, and helps me learn why I have to sacrifice to get there and how to do that in a way that works for me...

We rolled up Kam3, up Walua, up Mamalahoa heading South, then down Napapoooooooooo to Captain Cooks. The way down the giant hill was where it all started to make sense. He told me my life (as he helped me unscramble the mess I made the past 10 days), is a lot like riding down the hill. You have to just be in that moment. When you think too hard on it then it all gets goofy, confusing, scary, and moves too fast. With that I just let it all go. All of it. And I flew down the hill. I just let myself be in the moment, with each turn, and new descent I let myself fly faster, not thinking about the pot holes, the bottom of the hill, the turns or bends in the road, just go. It was the fastest I ever went down a hill. No brakes, and he didn't have to wait for me at the bottom like the boys usually have to wait for me.
.
The view was amazing. Life felt amazing. And I was now ready to climb. We started to climb back up, me hugging his wheel, going at a pace he set that would challenge me. About half way up the hill he says we will turn back down now, hang a right and take a steep hill up. I was already out of breath climbing that hill and now he wants to go back down and up a steeper one (after he told me I should have changed my back wheel for more gears). So we climb, like life he taught me that things happen and you have to climb out of them too. This entire ride he was talking me through life stuff and giving me climbs and descents to teach me the lesson. Once we were back near the upper highway he decides we should climb the 2/3 of Napapoooooo, more uppity up again. BUT it was the lesson...go with the climbs in life...
.
Just when I thought we were back to town he wants 2 more miles on some Holualoa loop, then we can go down. Again, I let loose of the breaks and I try to race him down (anyone that knows me knows this is not my usual style for down hill, but I raced and it felt so good).
.
The ride smashed me, then I ran off the bike, up 2 hills, and coming down one of the hills my friend Mike tried to run me off the road (ha ha ha)...but made up for it by buying Kainoa and I Orange Tree...what a day!
Ahhh, it was a beautiful day again on the island. So much to be thankful for, so much beauty to see...I just have to figure out this balance thing, again...
.
Oooooooh, before I forget...Charlie from TRAKKERS asked me to pass on a message...as one of the greatest sponsors a girl (or boy) could ever have, they are opening up sponsorship to age groupers right now. So send him a shout out if you are interested!! See here: http://www.trakkersgps.com/ .
.
NIGHT!!!








13 Comments:

Blogger hilomike said...

Oopsie! Now I can't complain when drivers do that to me while running.

September 15, 2009 at 9:46 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

I am loving this post. It taught me a few things. Thank you!

September 16, 2009 at 12:06 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

That little 'break' in the surf was probably the best thing that you could have done for yourself. If your mind couldn't take traineatsleepmovies anymore, than time to surf for a bit! IMO, the hardest thing about breaking a routine is getting that focus back and it looks like you did VERY well at that.

Bree, any time you gain courage flying down your hills, I gain it with you. Granted, I'm only flying down overpasses, but last weekend I really tried hard to just relax as the bike picked up speed. I let the tension in my body go and just went with the ride. Baby steps... but amazing ones!

Keep up the AWESOME work!!!

September 16, 2009 at 2:02 AM

 
Blogger TriGirl Kate O said...

Ok, I need some of those downhill lessons too! And can I come swim with you and the dolphins?!

September 16, 2009 at 2:17 AM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

Ok, I want to see dolphins when I go for a swim. On the movie front, Wolverine just came out yesterday!

September 16, 2009 at 3:08 AM

 
Blogger Tim Kasparek said...

You are looking incredibly fit Bree. Keep up the awesome work as it is obvious your hardwork is paying off!

September 16, 2009 at 3:55 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

WOW! What a day! Sounds like you are really getting your head right at a great time. I can't believe how fast your race is coming. Signed up for IMWI 2010 and I just hope I don't have to do some of your workouts.

Good job at Lavaman!

September 16, 2009 at 4:01 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

If you really get sick of movies and "legs up" time, feel free to come on over and come to work with me b/t training sessions!!

September 16, 2009 at 6:42 AM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Great post Bree - the life lessons ones are incredible... thanks for this! Keep it up!! You're doing GREAT!

September 16, 2009 at 6:51 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

You know what Bree? I've decided that this balance thing is ongoing life challenge...not so much something we ever solve but maybe just get a bit better at sometimes.

And I WISH I was fast enough to be sponsored. You'll be happy to hear I'm finally doing another Tri! It's the one year anniversary of my last one :-)

September 16, 2009 at 8:03 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

I cracked yesterday too. Too much swimbikeruneatworksleep - REPEAT. Balance is good :)

September 17, 2009 at 11:49 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Sounds like you are getting your head together for the big day with some nice balance.
Way to go!

September 17, 2009 at 3:46 PM

 
Blogger Eboni said...

This was really inspirational. Very nice!

September 17, 2009 at 4:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home