Aloha!

Sunday, September 27, 2009

An Ironman Story...

You know how every year tons of Ironman stories are published...about people doing Ironman? They just select people throughout the year and write a little story about their training, journey, or life as an athlete. This world is REALLY big and it has A LOT of people racing Ironman, I love all the stories, all the journey's I read about, each so different. Well, I got a cool story to tell...
.
I have this amigo, Pablo. Last year we got our Kona slots at Ironman Florida. For him no big deal, he has gotten it 9 times, won his age group at various Ironmans, top amateur at 3 different Ironmans, one of those fast people in the top 10 at Kona. Fast doesn't always mean easy road to Kona though.
.
Back home in Argentina he sold his helmet, bike shoes, AND BIKE to pay for his ticket back to Kona. Not kidding. So here is this fast guy with nothing to get through 112 miles, but he got to Kona. I tell him don't even worry, you can ride my bike! So for the past month he has been here training on this bike that is so small for him. NEVER ONCE complaining! He has been racing some of the pro men and hanging on with this tiny, tiny, tiny bike. He won't even take off my nerdy blue bar tape and pink skewers, he is just so happy to have a bike so he can race.
.
Day in and day out I have been watching this. Seeing someone so happy just to be in the race and so thankful just to have a bike to use (I think he would have even borrowed Kainoa's with training wheels just to race).
Last night I get this idea... ask Marc-Andre (my incredible Argon18 bike sponsor) if he can help. Like the family Argon 18 is, they tell me, OF COURSE! Pablo was like a little child hearing that Argon18 was going to help him for the race. They are letting him use one of the 2010 Argon18 E114! What a story... going from no bike, to a borrowed bike that is way too small, to a top of the line E114! Argon18, thank you for being more than just a bike company!! Don't forget to check out the new E114 Wednesday October 7, 3pm at the Ironman Expo... really great people, really great bikes!
.
In other Ironman news... town is filled with athletes, I saw Yvonne and her hubby cruising down Ali'i this morning and Belinda Granger and her hubby last night, 2 words for those couples, FIT & FABULOUS! In Kona news... this morning was Mango Man. I love that race, do it every year. This morning coach said, "No". I did Lavaman & Peaman the last 2 Sunday's, he said, "No Mangoman, the next man I get is Ironman". ha ha ha!!! I swam and ran and played cheerleader. Then my good friend Bobbi reminded me I have been in the sun more than 20 minutes and with that, I went home! Sheeeeeesh, but it's all good... 13 days till the big dance!
.
Happy Taper :)
Bree



29 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Breeeeee!!!! I love this story. What a guy Pablo sounds like. You seem to attract the best of the best people in the world. Because you are one, my friend. :)

September 27, 2009 at 1:09 PM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

What a great story! Pablo is such an inspiration! And that is AWESOME that you where able to help out in so many ways. I hope you have a huge smile on your face :)

September 27, 2009 at 1:30 PM

 
Blogger Missy said...

I love that story. What a leap of faith for him, sell it all just to get there and figure it out later. See, good things DO happen to good people.

September 27, 2009 at 2:09 PM

 
Blogger Yasi said...

Wow, that is absolutely amazing. How fitting is it that you're sponsored by a company that epitomizes you in every way? Wonderful!

September 27, 2009 at 2:49 PM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

That is so great! It sure sounds like you and your sponsor are a match made for each other:))) Good for you for sticking to your plan and going home and out of the sun, I'm sure it is SUPER hard but, only a few more days until you get to dance the best dance of your life and then PLAYTIME!
You are such a wonderful person, friend, mother, athlete, daughter etc etc!
Hugs!

September 27, 2009 at 2:59 PM

 
Blogger Lisa G said...

What a wonderful Ironman story! So glad to hear that it worked out so well for your friend!

September 27, 2009 at 4:12 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Beautiful story Bree!

Argon 18 Rocks!

September 27, 2009 at 5:12 PM

 
Blogger Caroline said...

That's a great story! I can't wait to see you and Pablo out there crushing it on the IM course! Happy taper.
This sitting still stuff sure isn't easy ;)

September 27, 2009 at 5:42 PM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

So glad you and your sponsor were able to help out Pablo. You are so great to so many people. There is just no way you can hear it enough. Thank you for all you do!

tn

September 27, 2009 at 5:50 PM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

What an incredible story of faith, hope, and determination. Pablo is so lucky to have you as a friend and to have Argon 18 give him the use of a spectacular new bike for the race.

It is going to be fun watching the big dance in 13 days!

September 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM

 
Blogger Pablo said...

THANK YOU SO, SO, SO MUCH BREE AND MARC-ANDRE (ARGON 18)! You are such a great person Bree!
I'm soooooooooo happy! I will do my best on October 10th!
Life is beautiful!

September 27, 2009 at 6:56 PM

 
Blogger Josie said...

Wonderful story, Bree. And kudos to you and Argon 18! We're (Rich, Ry and I) counting down the days and will be there in the early AM to cheer you on when you jump into that water and when you come out first! ;-)

September 27, 2009 at 8:15 PM

 
Blogger bart said...

Wow, what a story.
Hope Pablo didn't have to borrow your shoes and helmet as well then? Would have been even harder & probably even more painful ;-)

September 27, 2009 at 10:04 PM

 
Blogger Marni said...

What a great story!! Pablo deserves it and it was nice of you to help him out!! NO surprise though..you are always helping people out, you are amazing!

September 27, 2009 at 10:46 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Lovely story Bree - it's great to see that the corporates are also full of great people :))

September 27, 2009 at 11:19 PM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Great story and what a great friend you are. You know, with a little help from your friends (pros) and their connections, it sounds like Pablo could get some sponsorships..

September 28, 2009 at 1:33 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Great story Bree!!

September 28, 2009 at 3:27 AM

 
Blogger Christy said...

Love it. Way to go, Pablo, for never giving up! Good luck to you both in the race! Christy

September 28, 2009 at 4:51 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Karma pays off! Good things will happen for both of you good people. I think your taper is killing me more than mine.

Continued good luck to both of you.

September 28, 2009 at 7:43 AM

 
Blogger Amber Dawn said...

Awesome story! I hope they let him keep that bike! If they do, my next bike purchase will be and Argon for SURE!
We'll be cheering you both on from Northern Canada on race day!

September 28, 2009 at 8:49 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

absolutely fantastic story about pablo. you're pretty much like hawaii's #1 angel!

September 28, 2009 at 9:31 AM

 
Blogger hilomike said...

I would've been honored to lend him my roadie. This is my new fav story.

September 28, 2009 at 10:27 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

wonderful!! hope to see you next week!!!

September 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Pablo sounds like an amazing guy. And you, my dear, are an amazing friend to think of him and seek out a solution. Also big kudos to Argon for being such good sports (I'll have to keep them in mind if I ever decide to ditch my roadie for the real thing).

thanks for the uplifting story!

September 28, 2009 at 2:23 PM

 
Blogger MJ said...

Awesome story. Good job on writing some of the chapters in it!

September 28, 2009 at 8:16 PM

 
Blogger Martin said...

You're really special Bree! Thank you for helping my bro. Keep posting this great stories! I'll love to hear more about Pablo.

Your Argentinian fan n2

Martin

September 28, 2009 at 10:26 PM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

What a great story - and what great sponsors you have.

Best of luck to both of you!!

September 29, 2009 at 3:20 AM

 
Blogger Missy said...

I will def be test riding Argon when I buy my first real tri bike next spring. Just an awesome story! Thanks for sharing!

September 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM

 
Blogger Liliana said...

A true history to learn ... I Know Paulo and his history, his dedication and effort is being made that Deserves this and more ... Incredible! Congratulations and successes for the two
Lilly

October 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home