Aloha!

Friday, September 11, 2009

Lavaman IS Beautiful!!


Lavaman Keahou Swim Course
.
After A LOT of begging, pleading, whining, moaning, and groaning coach said yes! Doesn't take much to make me happy and with the "YES I CAN RACE" I am all of a sudden the happiest girl in the universe! With Ironman just around the corner and this "focus on Ironman" plan he has me on I thought for sure the local race was a no-go. I had "conditions" this week... get my LONG run done, get my long rides done, get in my fartleks and bricks and long swims. Get in EVERY single yard, meter, and mile and if I wake up Sunday in one piece I can race. You better believe I got it all done (except for tomorrows hill repeats and run, that I WILL DO tomorrow). In fact, not only did I get it all done and tomorrows 4hr session, I will have run the MOST miles I have ever run in my WHOLE ENTIRE life when Sunday is done. Wooooohoooo. Yes, Lavaman is going to hurt racing it with all these miles but man-o-man it will be worth it for the BEAUTIFUL course, friends, and just racing at home-sweet-home.
To celebrate the "YES I CAN RACE" I got to help mark the run course tonight. AND in honor of it being the "Keahou Lavaman Triathlon" I even wore the "Keahou K-Swiss shoes".

My friend Pablo is in charge of the run course and when asked to join the "mile marking" it sounded like the most fun Friday night ever! The run starts next to the Keahou Outrigger and about a half-mile later we face Heart Break Hill. It's short but sweet.
From there you play on the back half of Ali'i Drive, the rolly section that leads you to the infamous "Pit". As soon as you get to the bottom of the hill the fun begins...
Off road! Lavaman (April) is known for the off road, lava, coral, sand running, and this course brought in the same familiar path. EXCEPT I think this run is more beautiful by 200x!! I love running next to the ocean and nearly every mile has a least a glimpse of the sea.
When you get to the run turn around I left a little something, it's the way I am feeling in this moment of life (see the photo below). And don't worry, we had permission to mark the island with run marks that WILL wash off so Pele doesn't punish us...


After a couple miles of trail we land on the golf course...watch for falling coconuts! The golf course is pretty flat, maybe a roller or 3, but nothing that the view doesn't make up for.
Just over half way point of the run...
This is my "claim to fame" on the run course, I wrote the 4mile mark.
This is one of my most favorite parts, a very, very, short little trail... of course Pablo was running too fast and I was running too fast with the camera trying to snap a photo so it got a bit blurry, you get the idea... GORGEOUS little trail... that will then send you past the swim, up a steady hill, and onto the golf course, then Ali'i Drive, and finally....
....The finish line! (without the finish shoot)... what a grand finale! NOW time to jump in the ocean!! For the record, I beat Pablo tonight... Sunday might be another story...but till then I'm claiming it!
I am so happy coach is letting me race, even if my legs will feel like pudding jello cake! Thank you coach Paul for making this girl so happy!! ahhhh, Sunday feels like Christmas I am so excited! But for now, time to focus on tomorrow's hill repeats!!
.
To everyone racing Sunday, ALL THE BEST for a great, safe, fun day! And to the race directors and volunteers, you did an incredible job! I am so happy Kona is getting another triathlon!!
.
Nighty night from one VERY happy girl! LAVAMAN here I come!!
Bree



11 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Looking to be a great race! Glad you 'get to' do it. Tell KSwiss their sponsorship is working - I bought some miSouls (after MY shoe from another manufacturer was discontinued). I do love them...actually, I have two pair;)

September 12, 2009 at 1:52 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

I'm with Missy, I'm thinking of trying out a pair of K-Seiss, I am so curious....

YOu look like you are having fun and before the race even begins!

good luck!!

September 12, 2009 at 4:14 AM

 
Blogger RunnerMom said...

Good Luck Sunday! Enjoy that ocean swim, warm ride and challenging trail run! It is too cold here in Canada to even think of swimming outside:)

September 12, 2009 at 5:02 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Enjoy Bree!
tn

September 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM

 
Blogger MM said...

Could they make it any harder? Running up Kam III road? And on a golf course.

Hey, someone at the race meeting just said "you're Bree Wee right?". I said "I wish I was that fast".

See ya tomorrow.

September 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM

 
Blogger Ange said...

Have a BLaST!!!! I know the feeling a bit...I get to race next weekend at my favorite race. (Lobsterman...heehee can you tell we're Maine vs. Hawaii....lobster vs lava)
I thougth it was out because of Kona too but I'm IN!! woohoo
Here's to racing on Fried legs that feel like....pudding jello cake. I like that one.
hAVE FUN!

September 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM

 
Blogger Yasi said...

Good luck and have so much fun! Your legs will hold up great for sure! I'm loving the last picture you posted, it would be a perfect background on a computer! Especially during the winter.

September 12, 2009 at 2:08 PM

 
Blogger Josie said...

Good luck tomorrow, saw your name in the paper today and was excited to hear you'll be able to compete!!! Have fun!!!

September 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM

 
Blogger Mama Simmons said...

Have fun tomorrow, Bree! Wish I could be there too... just couldn't swing another weekend away from my family. Looks like a beautiful (and HARD!) course! Maybe next year... :)

September 12, 2009 at 5:16 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

It gives me chills to hear how very much you love racing at home! Couldn't be happier for you!

September 13, 2009 at 4:23 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

I hope you had a blast today out on the race course. I look forward to hearing all about it.

September 13, 2009 at 6:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home