Aloha!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Name Drop...

SO... i've been introduced to a lot of new things with all these pros in town. Like weird food choices on the bike, where to stuff things in your swim suit, crazy bike fits and funky shoes, sleep habits and shoping spree's and a little thing called name dropping. Name dropping is something the "nerds" do, they just drop the names of all the "cool" kids they see, meet, hang out with, or something like that. I AM A NERD & I AM ABOUT TO NAME DROP...
.
I can't help myself. I still look up to, admire, and respect a lot of the people in triathlon. BUT this day, was one of the coolest. After my swim with Monroe and Bruno (I'm droping their names...Monroe Roos is my local swim bud who missed the Olympic Trials for Aruba by less than a second, and Bruno is my new friend from Belgium who happens to be part fish too). Anyways, they took me swimming today, the full IM course making sure to keep it sub 1hr pace (and we did because they are that fast and I just hung on). THEN we got to chill with...are you ready...MAJOR name drop time... Marino Vanhoenacker!!
.
Oh my gosh, talk about break out my marker and autograph book like a little kid at Disney!! I'm not sure the fancy of meeting some of these super stars will ever wear off... Yes, they are just human, but darn they are cool humans. If I were a bet maker I would place a few of my bucks on him at Kona this year... after just a minute of meeting Marino and seeing how human and normal he is (depsite being unhumanly fast), I was telling him he should join our local swim squad tomorrow and ride with us Thursday... he is just that chill...
More name dropping... Ben Hoffman... he is just a rookie in Kona this year, he's here for a month of training pre-race and he has totally befriended everyone! He is pals with the super pros and the locals and the age groupers, everyone! I'm telling you it's really cool. He's like a normal guy! Today he was making jokes, picking his nose (not really), and even invited nerdy me to Orange Tree! I was kinda blown away, there are very cool people in our sport and luckily I keep meeting them!
.
Town has been filling daily with more and more and more professionals and age groupers. It's very exciting and a little crazy at the same time. I pretty much stick with my usual local buds, usual routine, and usual way of life. Even if the big names that I like to drop are exciting, there is still nothing better than the people I've known for years and years and have been to the end of the world and back with on my bike, in the water, or in my sneakers. So to finish my name dropping fun: Dave, Pablo, Cody, Andy, Kevin, Monroe, Jim M. Luis, Kate, Kawika, Wendy, Penn, Eric, Jason, Sam, Kona Aquatics, HCC, you will always be my favorites :)
.
Okay, time to get that Weezle Bread out of the oven, then sleep time!!
Bree



14 Comments:

Blogger ADC said...

uh, weezle bread - I am drooling already. Can I have some pleeeeease.

September 22, 2009 at 10:48 PM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Super normal, chill folks... just like YOU! :o)

Yum, Weezle bread... do you ship Express Air?

September 23, 2009 at 1:09 AM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Hey, Bree a.k.a. supertrimommy extraordinare...any chance you will share the recipe for Weezle bread??

September 23, 2009 at 2:33 AM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

Bree,

You are such a BIG NERD!!! Very cool pro encounters you are having there. I would be a huge nerd as well asking for autographs and pictures. Then again, I would probably be too scared to go up to them and say anything. Remember, I chickened out of coming up to you and saying "Hi" at Longhorn 70.3 last year.

September 23, 2009 at 3:15 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

You are so lucky meeting all the cool pros. The only encounter I have had was when I saw Chrissie Wellington at the Boulder Long Course Tri. I chickened out and did not say anything to her.

Maybe someday I will get to meet you, cool Pro Tri Chick!

September 23, 2009 at 3:59 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Enjoy the ride!!!

September 23, 2009 at 4:13 AM

 
Blogger Sue said...

I must say all the pros in your "sport" have always embraced "my family" big time. Everyday Joes that just happen to be speedy!!!

September 23, 2009 at 5:53 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

Get ready to add another world famous name to the list: Ian Mikelson (insert noise of crickets chirping)

September 23, 2009 at 6:43 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

crickets - HAHA, Ian makes me laugh :) Marino's shirt ROCKS!!! Glad you're having fun! :)

September 23, 2009 at 9:15 AM

 
Blogger greyhound said...

Maybe each of the pros should have collectible pins, like at Walt Disney World. What a visual--you with an autograph book chasing down characters!

September 23, 2009 at 9:20 AM

 
Blogger Kristie said...

I love reading your blog. Thanks for sharing your adventures and your positive attitude with all. Good luck this year in Kona! Will be cheering for you and I know you will have a GREAT day.

Hey - can you please post again (like years before), your tips on good places to eat and such in Kona. Also, a great hike or two that would kick my *** and any helpful hints for support crews who will be in Kona not racing but cheering? Also thought of buying a cheap bike when I am there to get around on - but then any hints on who to donate it to when I leave? thanks!

September 23, 2009 at 9:29 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I'm sorry, were you writing something? I can't get past how lean and mean ya'll are...you look fast just standing around!

September 23, 2009 at 11:45 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

That is what everyone loves about you - you are just as star struck as everyone else around these pros and you don't even realize that some people are star struck around you. Don't change a bit!

The anticipation is killing me! Let's get this race on already!

September 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM

 
Blogger monsterkeon said...

Bree, YOU are my superstar!!

September 23, 2009 at 4:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home