Aloha!

Monday, September 28, 2009

Po akahi (Monday)...

Ironman Hawaii 2009, 11 days...
.
I woke up this morning with a smile on my face as big as the sun! It was the type of morning where all the birds chirping were like songs to me. Happy-happy-happy! My head was focused (yes, coach, really...), jumped into the swimming pool.... SINK...SINK...SUNK....
.
No way! How is it that my head and heart are good to go and the body is on a different page. I blame the start of taper. Shake it off Bree, shake it off. We shook it right to Kekaha Kai. AND wouldn't you know, on the way my MOST favorite song from middle school came on the radio! Listen here... With that, the windows went down and I sung at the top of my lungs. The other 4 friends in the truck tried to jump out, went deaf, then told me I am the worlds worst singer-EVER! Ben and Pablo thought it would be better to walk through white wash over rocks and risk slipping or tripping then to ever, ever, EVER hear me sing again...whatever boys, Karaoke??
The Kiwi, Kate, and I took full advantage of the "daily 20 minutes" of sunshine coach has given me. Most of it was under a shade tree still finishing up my book...ALMOST PAU!
However, the main purpose of this trip was a little Hawaiian thing. A local Hawaiian friend that really believes and follows all the "ways of the island", gave me some Hawaiian chants, offering things to Pele, and some little peace thingys I should do to "get with the island". Sooooo....me, myself, and I, left my amigos and went on my way... first stop was finding a honu...
Then I found some peace and quiet away from everyone and everything...just me and some really long Hawaiian words that I can barely say or even begin to say... I'm pretty sure my offering sounded more like a child learning to read then the beautiful Hawaiian chant it was meant to be...



After getting my groove on with the island I found my friends, tried to sing them "Three Little Birds", but they went under water...and Pablo, well, he is never speaking to me again because his ears fell off.
"How we spend our days is how we spend our lives"-Annie Dillard
It was another really good 20 minutes on a white sandy beach, another day closer to the big dance, and another day that I feel as if I lived a really good day in my life. Tonight will be sunset with Kainoa, then I will sing him a song to sleep, (and he LOVES my singing), then tomorrow swim and run...with 10 days to go!
I ku ka makemake e hele mai, hele no me ka malo`elo`e.
If the wish to come arises, walk firmly...
.
Hugs from Hawaii,
Bree
.



14 Comments:

Blogger Thats me! said...

OH MAN! When I was on the island for Lavaman this past March my girlfriend and I saw a reef shark attack a fish at that beach! It was epic! Awesome beach too! I will soon call Kona home!

September 28, 2009 at 7:17 PM

 
Blogger MJ said...

That video is HILARIOUS!

I had never seen Glenn and therefore had no idea he was 12 when he sang that song! ...and the shirt/dorky running... priceless.

Whatever works for you... I like Three Little Birds a lot though.

Cheers!

September 28, 2009 at 7:55 PM

 
Blogger Andrew Cooper said...

Fun reading your buildup to Iron Man. But I have to agree with the others in your vehicle, I would have bailed too...

September 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Kona = paradise :)))

September 28, 2009 at 10:19 PM

 
Blogger miles99999 said...

I was just accepting that fall is here in the Northeast (cool temps, etc.) and then you post all of those awesome pics of the beach and you all in bikini's. That's just not right.

Keep up the march to IM, stay healthy and strong!

September 29, 2009 at 4:14 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

If I don't feel like total hell for a large portion of taper I worry that something is wrong. It's supposed to feel crappy - just continue to work the plan.

When you've done all physical and mental training the only thing left is the spiritual - it got Mark Allen past Dave Scott.

And I am very sorry you are raising a tone-deaf child.

September 29, 2009 at 4:19 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

OMG, I so hate that song. I worked in a diner in high school and they played that song all the time, I was so sick of it. By the way, where the heck did the horse come from? Just happened to be hangin' at the beach?

As always, lovely pics of Hawaii...sigh.

wonder if you got the CD I sent you? More tunes to torture your friends with.

September 29, 2009 at 4:28 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

11 DAYS!!!!!!

BTW the video for that song is all time. Post race my first "fun" task is to go for a walk on the beach in my khakis. Hahaha

September 29, 2009 at 7:09 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

So beautiful! You are in the zone my friend.

September 29, 2009 at 8:34 AM

 
Blogger TriGirl Kate O said...

That has to be the world's all time cheesiest song! Wow...

Love the pics.

September 29, 2009 at 10:41 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Ha! 11days! Keep up the mental training and keep doing what you do! Beautiful photos.
tn

September 29, 2009 at 12:32 PM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Up for the world's worst singer ever...that might be the one and only thing that I could out do you on. Antonio tells me not to sing...my own son! I just turn the music up super load and belt it out. Use your thumb as your microphone if you don't have a hairbrush.
Work like you don't need the money.
Love like you've never been hurt.
Dance like no-one's watching.
Sing like no-one's listening.
Live like there's no tomorrow.
Fear like a stone.
You live in such a beautiful place!

September 29, 2009 at 1:18 PM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

hahaha apparently I can't spell either...whatever I was a math student! loud not load!

September 29, 2009 at 1:20 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer Harrison said...

BREE! GOOD LUCK @ the IM next weekend- have a GREAT day and awesome race! We'll be cheering from you online loudly! :)

September 30, 2009 at 11:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home