Aloha!

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Remembering My First Ironman...

Today was nearly 8 solo hours of training and I missed Cody. In 2007 we were both training for our first ever Ironman together. We had no idea ANYTHING. I wore bikini tops, he wore board shorts, we were surfers not triathletes. Coach wrote me plans and he did them with me. As far as nutrition, pacing, recovery we were clueless. If one of us figured anything out we would tell the other. Our long rides were hilarious. Once he took off his jersey because it was so hot and it got caught in the back wheel. We always ran out of food and water. The long runs I would take off so fast and we would end up walking, he always waited for me.
.
Today I had one of the same workouts I did with him 2 years ago and I could not stop thinking of our journey to our first Ironman. If he wasn't injured he would be with me on round 2. But for today, I went at it all alone and every moment of 2007 was on my mind, including my first ever Ironman...

Pre Race with coach Paul. Coach gave me a pep talk and plan. The plan was to stay in the 150's all day long, and I did. I was so scared to pass out or not finish that when he said stay, I stayed.
Aussie Dan helping me get my bike ready. I was so smiley that morning! I could not believe I was about to do an Ironman! The butterflies were so crazy in my belly that I thought I was going to fall over. At the same time I was so calm. There was no pressure, no goal but to finish, it was just another training day with all my local training buds in our back yard, but we were sharing with the neighbor kids (all the people from all over the world).
My friend Jamie came out from Canada to race. He had done Kona before and swam a 57. So I trained the swim with him every chance I got and told him I wanted to swim on his feet all 2.4 miles so I could swim a 57. Well, I never saw Jamie that morning but you would never believe it, we ran up the beach together in a 57 min. swim, I hit the mat 1 second before him! It started my day out with the biggest laughter ever!
I'm in there somewhere. I gave away my lucky hair tie to some girl who broke her swim cap right before the start, she needed it more than me to tie that hair up. I got my first bloody nose in the swim and rode about an hour with blood getting in my mouth...felt like a tackle to me...
Riding along Kuakini then up Palani was so much fun! I knew everyone! My post man, the grocery clerks, my banker Jackie, my neighbors, people from my gym, they were all there and I waved and high-fived every single one of them! At the top was Kainoa, I blew him a kiss, high-fived him, and told him "see ya in a few hours". It was like magic! I really was not concerned about time or competition, I was on cloud nine. Coach said it looked more like I was in a parade, on a float, than racing my bike...ahhhh...I still get teary eyed thinking about that ride...
.
Onto Queen K it was different, I put myself in a bubble and just rode in the 150's. When my HR went up I slowed, when it went down I went faster...racing was simple then, just me and a couple numbers. At Hawi my friend Pat was waiting. I was crying and laughing and high-fived him. I told him, "Look Pat, I'm in the Ironman". It was awesome! We laughed, then I went on my way...down the hill...back to town...
My first few miles of the run I followed this guy. We are in every photo for about 5 miles together. I was so deathly afraid to go out too fast so I figure he looked like he knew what he was doing and I followed him. Look at my face, I really have no clue but to keep near him. Things got a little tricky on Ali'i. All my friends were there and my coaches parents too. I high-fived them and gave them a quick "hello". Checked the surf, played in a sprinkler, hugged my sister, she started to cry. Asked her to make sure Kainoa is at the finish, I would be there in a few hours!
.
Staying in the 150's was a safe move for me. I just kept on going...then mile 25 hit. It was the Makala intersection (K Mart hill). I really felt like falling over. I was done. That wall, I saw it. Across the street was Kawika and lauren telling me to keep going, they were my first ever training partners back in 2004 when this thing got started and we all dreamed together to race Ironman.
Finally the finish line! I was so happy on Ali'i Drive. Jim was there waiting with Kainoa-dressed in a Hooters shirt nonetheless. The only problem was he weighed 30 pounds at a year old, Jim handed him to me SO FAR from the finish line, and I was so tired. I thought for sure I was going to drop him. Thankfully my friend Stephanie Boekman was at the finish and she helped me stay up...
I really don't remember anything after that. Coach said I did a 9:47, I had no idea my time because I had the watch on HR only and had no idea how to put it on time, like I said, I just watched the 150's all day long. I sat there as if I was in space, it was surreal. It didn't feel like I thought it would feel, it was better! Then I said, no more.
Rachel Ross (Oahu's hot momma triathlete) and I took an ice bath. The Ironman was kind of her fault. I crossed the line at Hawaii 70.3 and told her, "NO way will I do Ironman, that half hurt enough". She told me wait a little bit till it stops hurting and I would change my mind. Coach said not to take the slot, I waited till the pain stopped and took the slot. In the water that day I told her no more Ironmans, she again told me to wait... and it looks like the pain stopped and on October 10 I get to do it again!

What an incredible day. It may have been the most fun I ever had in sport. (of course with Philippines 70.3 a close second). I know this year will be different, I might not get to sit in the 150's all day long and play "parade". And I am sure I can't swim on Jamie's feet because this year I start 15 minutes in front of him. I do know one thing, the same incredible people that were part of that first journey will be with me this time around too! EVEN you Cody...
.
After that 8hr day I need to sleep now...
Good night from Kona!
Bree
.



27 Comments:

Blogger ADC said...

That is such a lovely story. You will be great this year.

September 2, 2009 at 11:21 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 2, 2009 at 11:21 PM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

Awesome post Bree - thanks for taking us back :)

September 3, 2009 at 12:17 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I need to do that Iron thing. What is that again? Swim 1.2 miles, bike 112 run a marathon and brag the rest of your life? Yeh, I think John Collins had it right....

September 3, 2009 at 12:50 AM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

Ok It is too far away to get us this pumped up about this yr. Wish you all the luck you need to find your groove

September 3, 2009 at 1:51 AM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

Ok It is too far away to get us this pumped up about this yr. Wish you all the luck you need to find your groove

September 3, 2009 at 1:51 AM

 
Blogger Nibbles said...

Bree,

You are a wonderful storyteller! Every morning I can't wait to gobble up your next installment :-) Thanks so much for sharing your memories with fans after an 8-hour day!

September 3, 2009 at 1:59 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

This year's IM is going to be even better... (yes that is possible) I am so proud of the woman and athlete and mother you are...God had plans and you followed , you are blessed! I especially love that "up-close" picture of you and Kainoa- your face speaks volumes and shows you innocence! Thanks for sharing your story:)

September 3, 2009 at 3:27 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

I love the fact that you were "clueless" and still went 9:47. The look on your face in the close-up after the finish is priceless. You look like death warmed over - so not the picture of Bree we are accustomed to.

This year is going to be stellar. I can't believe how quickly it's coming. Keep up the great training!

September 3, 2009 at 4:22 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

That was so wonderful to read. The way you tell the story makes me believe that it is possible to do (for me, ha!).

That look on your face (the closeup after the race w/ you holding Kainoa) speaks volumes.

I am really looking forward to reading about (following) Kona.

September 3, 2009 at 4:42 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Beautiful blog post, Bree. Gotta love Nostalgia! October is so close now. You are going to do great!

September 3, 2009 at 5:08 AM

 
Blogger Julia said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your first IM story! What an incredible (and fast; go you!) journey. I love that photo of you on the bike, smiling ear to ear. I love that you always manage to find the fun in everything!

September 3, 2009 at 5:12 AM

 
Blogger D said...

I can not accurately put into words how excited I am to see you out there this year. Something felt off last year seeing you volunteer during the race.
See ya in 5 weeks!!! :D

September 3, 2009 at 5:31 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Love the pics! Isn't it amazing looking back on where you were and we you are going in life....so amazing!
-marn

September 3, 2009 at 5:41 AM

 
Blogger Running~Jordan said...

You are a hero.

September 3, 2009 at 5:55 AM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

Great story! I remember my coach telling me to stay at 140 for my first IM race and looked down at my watch early in the bike and caught my heart rate at 156 and nearly pulled to the side of the road to get it to start coming down, lol.

This time Kainoa can run across the line with you. Wait, did WTC put a stop to that practice this year? Still, it would be funny if you saw him at the end wearing a Hooter's shirt.

5 Weeks to go!!!

September 3, 2009 at 9:08 AM

 
Blogger hilomike said...

You're awesome Bree! Thanks for the wonderful posts, and having such an amazing life to write about.

September 3, 2009 at 10:33 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

"First" experiences are always so awesome!! Love it!

September 3, 2009 at 1:48 PM

 
Blogger Yasi said...

This is such a great story, and what a stellar time for your first! Can't wait for the next installment

September 3, 2009 at 2:06 PM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Ah Bree... so special, chicka! I hope you have a wall size photo of that picture with you crossing the finish line. Amazing shot. One you will never forget!
Cheers!

September 3, 2009 at 2:45 PM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

I say throw out that coaches handbook etc and do exactly what you did in 2007 race and you will shine again down Ali'i Drive!

I can't believe you remembered Hawi turnaround. You almost ran me off the road! and I was like...what the hell is Bree crying for? Crazy girl....
It's like when there are dark clouds hovering over Kona rain threating then all sudden a rainbow appears. That's you crying and smiling at same time during 07 race! Silly....

September 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM

 
Blogger Eboni said...

That's amazing you were doing IRONMAN one year after giving birth. You are awesome and this story is really inspirational.

September 3, 2009 at 4:43 PM

 
Blogger Amber Dawn said...

Awesome post Bree. I think you are a rockstar, and not because you rock at triathlon but because of your generosity. The time and energy you put into sharing your world on this blog touches so many people.
I hope and pray you kick serious ass at Kona.

September 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM

 
Blogger MadisonDuo said...

Thanks for sharing your 1st IM story with us. Amazing how back then the focus was to finish and your HR. Love it. So simple. You you rocked it! And you'll do it again this year at Kona.

We'll be in Kona this year cheering for you...can't wait to see it all happen in person.

Jen

September 4, 2009 at 5:30 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

So fun looking back!!

September 4, 2009 at 12:23 PM

 
Blogger kakes773 said...

Bree, do you still train with only HR? Do you train with power on the bike?

September 5, 2009 at 7:59 AM

 
Blogger Swimming for ME said...

Your life looks like too much fun....

September 5, 2009 at 2:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home