Aloha!

Monday, September 7, 2009

Swim, Run, and Recover...

Today was another amazing open water swim...not only did I have Andy's feet I had the luxury of some VERY fast fins too! I tell ya, I could get used to pool practices being cancelled for open water swims! THANK YOU COACH STEVE, AGAIN! Dolphins and whales just steal my heart even for the millionth time swimming with them!
.
The short dolphin-interaction was enough to fuel my fire! I haven't swam since Wednesday and felt a little blah...but that all shook off when Andy set the pace and I did not want to be left behind. It took all my efforts to keep up on the way to the Ironman buoy and having Ben Hoffman on my feet was like a little push to keep going (thanks guys). From there it was regroup and Linsey Corbin asked where my bike is, DON'T worry coach I DID NOT SHOW her... (more on that later...). I avoided all bike talk and before long it was zoom to shore. This time my goal was to swim next to Andy and not in his draft. We work really well together when I have my "$h!t together" as coach would say... so I held tuff and we raced back in...lungs on fire...off for a run!

Today I was "Pablo-less". Boooo... some people are just so easy to run with and they make running (the hard stuff and the long stuff and the fast stuff) just so effortless. In fact, our last race we finished only a second apart (because he waited for me then I tried to out sprint him, ha ha...). Anyways, I had 2.5 hours to run, alone. My ultimate goal was to FOCUS and PACE right. Hard, very hard for this girl to do without her Argentina run partner...

With flying colors 21.5 miles flew by! I started easy, stayed relaxed, then just focused on finding my rhythm. It was one of those magical runs that you WISH would happen on race day! Everything I learned from my runs with Pablo I put to practice. Everything I learned about my horrible pacing, like going out to fast only to fade in the end, I put into practice, it was me and my K-Swiss shoes just going along as if we were meant to be running 2.5 hours.

Across the highway I saw Linsey Corbin heading out on her bike as I was leaving the Energy Lab. I got so excited to see her. Despite the fact she is another pro, she is a team mate and friend and I was so happy to see her out there! She also holds the top American finish in Ironman from 2008, and this is her year to defend it, I had to smile for her and get a little cheesy just seeing the American champ doing her thing. We waved and shouted out "go get its" and got back to work...

After that run it was all smiles! I took off my lucky blue visor, (it was kidnapped by the Philippines triathlon team one night, they returned it all signed and with lucky messages), and I decided I should wear that thing race day! It felt like I just put a million bucks in my "withdraw on race day bank". It was definitely an ice bath kind of day...so Kainoa grabbed me 50lbs of ice...and we froze...

Back to this NO BIKE thing... Coach made me promise him I will not look for my bike, jump from cliffs, free dive, ride on boats, go hiking up or down big cliffs, play in lava caves, ect...ect...ect... till October 11. It was probably the first time in my "sporting career" I said, "okay" without grumble. I do play A LOT, but I call it "balance". If you ever came to my home the only thing that would give you a clue I do triathlon is my bike...other than that, NOTHING triathlon is part of my home, and I like it like that. I was grounded for the weekend, read a lot of books and rented movies, (this will be my new life till October 11). Coach isn't trying to take my fun, he is trying to help me really reach my goals, to focus on October 10, to be more pro about this. I'll see how it works, its really new for me...

So...part of that deal I had to make to coach is NOT showing Corbin my bike, taking her to jump off cliffs, or inviting her to eat spam musubi's with fire dancers. When she asked about the bike the temptation was there. Right now I think our coaches have us banned from training together, I am a VERY bad influence on her. Today she rode and I ran, I feel like the bad girl of our little Lifesport team. In fact I am trying to take some lessons from her on how to be more pro and get better at my "career"...I will let you know how it goes...

Yesterday when I told Kainoa we would not be going on the boat this was his response! He ripped the head off the only toy I don't let him play with...Coach, you officially owe me a trip to Costa Rica to get another one if I don't "play" till October 11!
.
Right now I am in compression pants, out of the ice bath, watching a movie with Kainoa, that's recovery, I think. This is going to be a LONG 5 weeks if I have to spend all my chill time in hot black pants that are too tight watching movies!
.
Anyone got any good movie or book recommendations? And jump off a cliff or dive to the ocean bottom for me!! Oh, almost forgot... "This week in triathlon" played 20 questions with me...you can read more about the trouble maker I am here. Scroll half way down the page, under the Suunto watch add to find it...
Bree
.



15 Comments:

Blogger D said...

Why did it take me so long to figure out what you were talking about when it came to "your" bike? Geez...

If it makes you feel any better, I just put myself on the Kona diet: no fun food & lots of working out. The sad thing is I'll STILL be the fat kid over there. OH WELL! Can't wait til the 11th!!! :D

September 7, 2009 at 5:53 PM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Great interview. You made me laugh about the bike. I love your laid back ways, it make YOU, well , YOU! You will do great in Kona. See you soon!
tn

September 7, 2009 at 6:14 PM

 
Blogger Nottage Family said...

We rent NETFLIX.........but we've been watching Showtime and HBO seasons of Entourage, Weeds, and Californication.........for a change Tad rented "God Grew Tired of Us" and it is so good.......about the plight of the Southern Sudanese boys........being run away from their families and homes; to survive; not lose their lives.........and from there........the story goes on......apart from being an amazing documentary by National Geographic it is also the keys into the minds and legs of the Ethiopians and Kenyans and how they are such brilliant endurance runners..............do watch. XO J

September 7, 2009 at 8:05 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

NICE work on that run - VERY solid! Glad to hear that you're having a blast and being super fast at the same time... :) Most excellent! Keep up the great work Bree - and here's to swimming and searching for the bike on Oct 11! :) :) :) YEA!

September 7, 2009 at 8:48 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Hey Bree, I am loving your "balanced" life. I think it is amazing. Keep training and you will reap the rewards in October :)))

September 7, 2009 at 10:57 PM

 
Blogger bart said...

Great interview Bree...You're a cool mom and a cool person. You rock!
No wonder people steal your flipflops every now and then...

September 8, 2009 at 3:46 AM

 
Blogger Roo said...

Good thing we don't live in the same place. We'd be double trouble. One of my fav books this summer was The Geography of Bliss.

September 8, 2009 at 5:33 AM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

Wow! You get to watch movies??? I want to go watch a movie something bad but I have to go swim. A non Kainoa movie that is super funny is Role Models. You might also like Eagle Eye if you are into action and suspense.

Ok, off to the pool.

September 8, 2009 at 6:19 AM

 
Blogger Missy said...

The reward will come and then you can play all you want! At least you look cute in too tight compression pants...I see people at the 'store' all the time in too tight gear;)

September 8, 2009 at 7:06 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Great interview. I'm with you, I'm dreading 13..we should be hitting that milestone about the same time, we'll commiserate then.

My little guy is constantly asking for the recovery balls. He loves them (as do I).

By the way, did the hula girl make it to your new bike?

September 8, 2009 at 10:18 AM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Your five weeks will go by fast. Your cliff jumping scares the heck out of me, but does make for exciting blog photos!! Have a great week :)

September 8, 2009 at 1:39 PM

 
Blogger Heidi Austin said...

what would we do without training partners? they are the best! Sorry about the restrictions ( i (and my pelvis) wish i listened to them back in march and didn't hurl my snowboard off a 30 foot gap!)

But for book recommendations I'm a sucker for twilight ! lol...sad i know :)

September 8, 2009 at 3:36 PM

 
Blogger GoBigGreen said...

I swam in Lake Superior this weekend, does that count?:) My all time fave is the big lebowski, but not really Kainoa friendly!

September 8, 2009 at 3:37 PM

 
Blogger Yasi said...

Sorry you're being bound and restricted! I recently watched The Kite Runner and it was amazing! But I hear the book is even better, so I guess this recommendation is for both of them. I also read about a book called Holy Cow about a woman moving from Australia to India, it's pretty funny and interesting!

September 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM

 
Blogger Eboni said...

All about Eve is an awesome old school movie. I'm reading Watership Down. It's about bunnies lol, but still a good read.

p.s. I love your little doll. She actually looks how I feel most days. lol

September 11, 2009 at 5:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home