Aloha!

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Anuenue...

A big beautiful rainbow, today felt like a giant rainbow and then, the sky opened up and a rainbow took the over the sky above my home. The butterflies are in full blast and I am tempted to believe they are in there celebrating. I am about to race Ironman Hawaii. Last year I sat on the side of the pier, the side of the road, and the side of the beach cheering... this year, a dream come true, I am racing! It is still so surreal, yet more real than before...
A spin on my bike and a dip in the ocean was my morning. The pier was more calm than the past few days. This moment, this foto, is exactly what I know, what I embrace, and what I see all year long. Today it felt different. I think the sea knows it is about to hold hundreds of people with the goal of swimming 2.4 miles as fast as they can. It was as if the ocean was holding the calm before the storm. You could feel it's power, it's nerves, whatever it is that will be on Saturday stirring up...
The morning was full of familiar faces from a season of racing. Maki and Hero from Ironman Japan were parading around Kailua Bay with their smiles, Ian was there laughing as I tried to cram myself into the new Blue Seventy, and the usual Kona contenders were there with their video and film crews capturing their every move...
As for me, I kept it as close to home as I could... talking story with my local friends, the usual laughter and coconut wireless, and just keeping it familiar. I did try to picture race morning, the people, the helicopters overhead, the music, the cameras, the dark cool morning... before long, I was back under the sea though, a second home...


After the swim it was "Coffee Talk" with the Lifesport crew. It was lots of triathlon talk, meeting a lot of people from all over the world, (like the only man from Saudi Arabia in the race-see above), and a lot of "feet up" in the big couches. From there it was my "race chat" with coach. I love those bitter sweet meetings. Half the time I cry, the other half I just shake my head, "yes coach, yes coach". Today's chat was good, it felt like coach was on my side, as he always is, just usually I try to be right when I am wrong, today I agreed without question... I am ready.
The evening ended with the pasta party. WHOA man, it was so much laughing, so much smiling, so much fun...my face hurts. Lucky that much laughing does not effect the legs or arms. Now I am home, everyone has gone home, and everything is another day closer. Tonight most of us said our final "good lucks", "see ya at the finish", and "go get-em's". Not until we are dressed in our race clothes, painted with a race number, and covered in gels will we meet again. It has been an incredible race week... maybe my most favorite...
.
Good night from Kona...
Bree
.



32 Comments:

Blogger Monica Kvas said...

BREE! Good luck!!!!!! You have done and have everything you need for race day!! I see you on the podium smiling like crazy! Sending good vibes your way!

October 8, 2009 at 9:31 PM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Good luck!! Enjoy the moment...all 140.6 of them!
Love the pics and thanks for all the posts this week. Looks like fun!
-marni

October 8, 2009 at 11:20 PM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Good luck!!! I will be thinking of you.

I wish I could be there to cheer you and the others on.

We have a pro from my hometown in South Africa racing as well and I will be following both of you all the way!

Good Luck again - and enjoy!!

October 9, 2009 at 12:28 AM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Good luck!!! I will be thinking of you.

I wish I could be there to cheer you and the others on.

We have a pro from my hometown in South Africa racing as well and I will be following both of you all the way!

Good Luck again - and enjoy!!

October 9, 2009 at 12:28 AM

 
Blogger chr15 said...

1 more full day to go Bree. And you look as relaxed as ever. Your pics of the island show how beautiful it is and what a setting for THE exhibition of human endurance!

The pasta party looks a blast!

It must be so much nicer to prepare for the big day in your own home.

I heard that the 'brazilian' swimsuits are more aero to. Besides if you wear it you probably beat all the pro-men what with them all wanting to 'pace' off you and all. Ha! Imagine all the drafting penalties.

Race fast Bree!

October 9, 2009 at 12:39 AM

 
Blogger miles99999 said...

Holy crap! Your race is on Saturday. Not sure if you will post anything tonight, so I'll take this chance to wish you the best of luck and go out there and kick Chrissie Wellingtons ass!

You have done a great job training and preparing for this race and you will do well. We're rooting for you here on the east coast.

October 9, 2009 at 1:53 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

SHOW TIME!!!!

October 9, 2009 at 2:37 AM

 
Blogger Nibbles said...

Time for the big dance! You will be in my thoughts all day, and I'll be watching on my computer. GO GET 'EM!

October 9, 2009 at 3:18 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

I am so excited and nervous for you! Go out there and have a great time!!!!!

October 9, 2009 at 3:23 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

weee!! it's go time! looks like youre having a blast with everyone. go get em, good luck!

October 9, 2009 at 4:48 AM

 
Blogger ducky said...

Love reading your blog and cheering you on via internet. :) Go get 'em, Bree! Have a kick-ass Saturday in Kona on all your familiar routes and don't forget to SMILE! You rock!

October 9, 2009 at 5:18 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

I just know you're gonna crush it. And all with a big smile on your face!

October 9, 2009 at 5:47 AM

 
Blogger tinaparker87 said...

Oh my gosh, the day is almost here. Sending you lots of positive thoughts and hugs! Go gettem Bree for yourself and Kainoa.

October 9, 2009 at 6:34 AM

 
Blogger Josie said...

Swim, Bree, swim! Bike, Bree, bike! Run, Bree, ruuuuunnnn!!! You've done the work, Saturday is the reward? Chrissy Wellington, who?! Kick a** and take names, girl! We'll be there Sat. morning at the crack of dawn to howl your name! Make us proud!

Jolene

October 9, 2009 at 7:47 AM

 
Blogger TJ said...

BEST OF LUCK - BLUE CRUSH!!!

October 9, 2009 at 9:08 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

This one brought tears to my eyes. Go Bree!

October 9, 2009 at 9:15 AM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

you have me so pumped go rock it!!
don't drop the salts and have a blast Ill be watching on Univ. tv

October 9, 2009 at 9:53 AM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

Think of it like this, after tomorrow you can OD on spam treats " couldn't remember what you call them! hahahaha

October 9, 2009 at 9:54 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

It was so nice to meet you Bree. thanks for letting me sit and chat with you for a bit. I am really honored to be here in your home. It is a huge deal for little 'ole me from Maine. I am also REally really pulling for you. I admire your grit and hard work so much. Get out there and have the day you have earned and we all knwo you can have. Can't wait to see yo uon the course in action.

October 9, 2009 at 10:05 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

It's time Bree. A thousand good Lucks and blessings coming your way!!!

October 9, 2009 at 10:10 AM

 
Blogger Rebecca DeWire said...

It will be your day tomorrow, go get 'em! I have loved following your blog this week, what a great peak into race week. Good luck :)

October 9, 2009 at 10:22 AM

 
Blogger kakes773 said...

Good luck tomorrow, Bree! Have fun out there, and be fast and strong and do your best. I will be following from TN, but my parents will be out there cheering you on! Hopefully your new bike components serve you well (have you been practicing shifting on the trainer :-) ?).

October 9, 2009 at 10:31 AM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

BUENA SUERTE desde Spain !! te deseo que disfrutes y tengas mucha suerte ! te seguire en vivo desde mi casa con mi Baby soñando en la carrera....es un sueño.
Me alegra mucho verte tan feliz y me gusta mucho como has descrito todos los momentos....increible! eres increible! un beso muy fuerte !!!!!!!

October 9, 2009 at 12:01 PM

 
Blogger Adrienne said...

Positive thoughts! Best of luck to have a great race and the experinece of a lifetime!

October 9, 2009 at 12:02 PM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

The magazine is out. YOU ROCK STAR writer!!!
Good job!! and Good luck again

October 9, 2009 at 12:32 PM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Sending tons of good luck wishes your way, Bree! Go hard, go fast... race YOUR race! HAVE FUN!!!

Hugs from Florida!

PS- Your Triathlete article! Fantastic!!!!

October 9, 2009 at 1:14 PM

 
Blogger Regina said...

It's all you baby!! Sending all kinds of good luck your way. Kick ass!

Can't wait to hear all about it!

October 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM

 
Blogger Red Rock Chica @ Red Rock World said...

Go Bree!!!! :-)

--redrock

October 9, 2009 at 3:25 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer Cunnane said...

Go go go!!!! Rooting for you all the way!!! Sending lots of good vibes your way, enjoy and race hard!!!

October 9, 2009 at 3:40 PM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

Go Bree, Go!!!

I will be watching all the action tomorrow via the internet. You are in my prayers and I will be sending you good vibes all day long. This time tomorrow evening you will be finished and it will be celebration time.

You have worked hard for this. Follow what coach says and stay focused and on top of your game plan. Good Luck!

October 9, 2009 at 4:30 PM

 
Blogger Colleen S said...

This is YOUR day! This is YOUR back yard, you have done the work, you have put ALL the money in the bank, now CASH in and have FUN =) Cheers, From Seattle.

October 9, 2009 at 5:06 PM

 
Blogger Kiet said...

Go go go Bree, sending awesome energy your way on Saturday.

October 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home