Aloha!

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Back To The Valley...

My dream Big Island adventure was to hike up and over the valley's... I said after Ironman I would do it, and I did. Ironman is over... yesterday was as good of time as any to make my dream adventure happen. There are 7 major valleys that stand between Pololu'u and Waipio. The Pacific in this area is shark filled, holds some of the most incredible life taking currents and rips, and the valleys go in 2 directions, up & down. There is nothing easy about this adventure, especially with a camera in hand...
.
The foto above shows the valleys. So beautiful, so untouched, and only 2 ways to get in the middle of them-by land or by sea. By land we went. Going up with a bag made things a little more heavy, but nothing too challenging. Going down, let's just say I wanted to hurl my bag over the side and let it wait for me at the bottom. There are some ropes hanging by trees that make the drop into the valley's a million times easier, however, the side of the mountain was more of a slip-n-slide for me. Of course I managed to drag my journal with me on this camping trip:
.
Wednesday 10/21/09:
.
I'm not really sure where we are, some valley between Pololu'u and Waipio. It's gorgeous in every way. The sound of the ocean reminds me so much of Costa Rica and all the days on the beach at night, only the ocean and me. The day feels so calm, I'm able to catch my breath and let my mind clear the clutter of so many busy days. The sea spray is gently touching my face, reminding me to smile. I love it here. No phone, no TV, no computers, not even a roof over my head. Nothing stands between me and the stars tonight.
.
These moments in life are so good for me, they give me a chance to let my head and body catch up with my heart. There is a lot on my heart lately, Mostly Kainoa. I suppose when you love someone so much it's natural to want the very best in the world for them. Everyday I find myself just praying his little heart is happy, I still worry that one day the divorce will cause him to lose a few smiles in his life. I wish he could know how hard I tried to keep the family together, but it was killing me.
.
I've been thinking about how it's almost 2010 and I wanted to move us to Costa Rica. I know now that will never happen, Kainoa needs his dad within reach and I would never go without him. When I close my eyes I can smell Playa Hermosa, I can feel the dark sand and breathe in everything I once knew. It's crazy how some dreams just never fade, maybe because it was my first love and in life we sometimes want what we can't have.
.
The sky is now starting to turn all sorts of pinks and purples. It looks like heaven, I feel like I am in heaven on Earth. The other major thing on my heart lately is how much I have. I really truly have a blessed life, nothing fancy, it's simple, but it's all I need. I have known having the world at my feet and wondering where I would sleep at night. Both have helped me to appreciate where I am now and what I have now, each moment. Last night I tried to share that with Kainoa. We packed a giant box full of clothes, shoes, and other things to ship to families in the Philippines. At first it was so easy...I put in all the things I never wear or use. When it came time to put in the things I "sometimes" where I was challenged. My selfish side kept saying, "one day you might wear that again", and my giving side said, "people need that, they are naked". Kainoa told me to put it in the box, he then gave away almost all his clothes. It felt so good once the box was filled and the drawers and closet was now only our most worn clothes.
.
I keep taking breaks to look out at the ocean, then a new thought comes into mind. I'm still in awe at the power and beauty of the ocean even after having watched a million waves break in my life time. The ocean reflects my life, ever changing, always beautiful. God I love it. I have discovered that the only times I am truly unhappy in this life is when I want something I already have. For some silly reason the more I have the more I want and when I have all I need I am content beyond blessed.
.
The waves are coming in bigger now and the sky is growing dark. Tonight I am going to sleep somewhere between Pololu'u and Waipio. It doesn't exactly matter where I am, I just know it's beautiful and in between two Hawaiian valleys that I had to hike up and over and slide down a mountain to land in the middle of this crazy beautiful place in my life... time to sleep under a blanket of stars... good night.
.
In the middle of a valley...to my left and my right, mother nature at her best...from here it was back down the side and into the middle of another set of valley's.
A beach between
Sun coming up on another day of life...
Up and over this valley is the only way out...

Taking a breath and a view on the edge of the valley, half way up and over...
The trip was filled with mountain apples, lilikoi, guava, papaya, bread fruit, and ohelo berries. It was like aid stations during Ironman :)
A rinse off in the calm shores of The Pacific Ocean...



15 Comments:

Blogger Jill Costantino said...

So beautiful! I love how the ocean reflects your life. Bree you are such a beautiful person and even if Kainoa gets one ounce of your goodness he is doing just fine. Glad to see your camping trip was so wonderful!

October 22, 2009 at 5:55 PM

 
Blogger D said...

Thems some pretty short shorts, woman ;P

October 22, 2009 at 6:34 PM

 
Blogger MJ said...

Speaking of reflections... just remember that the BIG smile permanently on your face will be reflected on Kainoa's (and probably your ex's) so try not to beat yourself up about the divorce too much.

If you guys weren't happy he didn't have much of a chance of being happy in the long run...

October 22, 2009 at 7:21 PM

 
Blogger Regina said...

I have to say, hiking is what I miss most about living in NYC. I really have to make an effort to travel upstate if I want to do it, not easy. In the meanwhile, I'll live vicariously through you.

October 23, 2009 at 3:11 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Amazed by how much you give and how much you "just live". The photos are gorgeous and love that you can just sleep under the stars. Glad you followed your dreams and shared your story with us.

Kainoa is a lucky boy!

tn

October 23, 2009 at 5:53 AM

 
Blogger kerrie said...

i loooove that part of the island and i didn't know that about the sharks but 'felt' it everytime we crossed a river(i've heard they like to hang out there).

be true to yourself and kainoa will be fine:)

October 23, 2009 at 6:44 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

So glad you got to take this adventure! Kainoa is going to grow up smart and happy and 100% loved.

October 23, 2009 at 7:18 AM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

Aloha ! me ha encantado leer este post.Me gusta saber como piensas y escribes muy muy muy bien.
Que dios os vendiga.

Abrazos desde lejos....muy lejos..hehehe

October 23, 2009 at 7:53 AM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

What an exciting adventure. Children are much more resilient than we think they are. Yes, there are those that need extra special care, but as parents we tend to give that extra special care anyways because we love our children.

As long as you are happy and have special adventures with Kainoa and Kainoa's father is happy and has fun with him as well, he will feel like he is loved and appreciated. It is all about having respect for each other. That is a lesson that not many people get to learn when they are children.

Keep up the great mommy job and I am patiently waiting to hear Coach's call on Choice A, B, or C!

October 23, 2009 at 9:28 AM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Fabulous Bree! You are the world's best mom and Kainoa is a great kid.

October 23, 2009 at 11:53 AM

 
Blogger Heidi Austin said...

wow bree! what an adventure... seems like it's never ending in hawaii...ahhh some day! (fingers crossed)

October 23, 2009 at 4:31 PM

 
Blogger monsterkeon said...

Ever inspiring Bree! keep it up n dun give up! lotsa hugs!!

October 23, 2009 at 5:30 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Glad you can get away from all the artificial things in Hawai'i and enjoy nature and have the chance to think and readjust to the future. If I make it there next year, I hope to ride to some of the places you are at on my MTB. Maybe we could map out an Xterra bike course there.

October 24, 2009 at 12:02 AM

 
Blogger Nottage Family said...

This shot looks PERFECT for a part in SURVIVOR show........run fry on triathlon (if that's even possible; or maybe take a year break; you can do a survivor audition....betcha you'd get in!!)

Congratulations for IM '09....isn't it interesting how every IM no matter where, is an adventure and experience unto oneself.....that's the draw to you I think!! Adventure.

Hugs, Jennifer Nottage

October 27, 2009 at 1:49 PM

 
Blogger DOUG BERNER said...

You don't know me. Rachel Ross is a mutual friend.

Just had to say this was probably the best blog post I've ever read. Good writing, adventures, and honesty.

October 28, 2009 at 6:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home