Aloha!

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ironman Wednesday...


Coach Steve & I standing in front of lane 4, like the old days...
.
Crazy, crazy, crazy! This entire Ironman thing started with a little run to check the surf then landing at the Kona pool. Coach Steve put me in lane 4 and I told him I wanted to learn to swim. like for real swim, and in the ocean too. Here we are nearly 6 years later, he moved me to lane 1, and I am about to race Ironman Hawaii as a professional and SWIM 2.4 MILES IN THE OCEAN! Coach Steve has held my hand most all of this journey and taught me to love and feel safe in the ocean (even when sharks are out)... oh, boy, here we go Coach Steve, Ironman is almost here! Today was my first autograph signing session ever. It was really fun, you just sit in a chair, write on t-shirts, and meet a lot of fun people, (thanks to everyone for coming to visit us!).
The Argon18 girls...
Hanging with a few of the Argon18 boys...
AND, no introductions needed, FERNANDA KELLER! I would like to blame her for being one of the reasons I prefer to race in a swim suit than bike clothes. Today she brought me one of her special Brazilian swim suits. I thought about wearing it to masters swim tonight, it fit great for Brazil... then I realized I might not make it through the swim in that suit with my lane mates teasing me!! I forgot how much booty is cut out of those Brazilian swim suits, phewwwww, nearly a thong on my bum, and well, let's just say even though I lack a big chest, that little bit was falling out too... I could not stop laughing, I need a better tan for that suit...BUT Fernanda, I promise to wear it!
Today was a lot of this and that... Wednesday wore me out! In fact, pro week is so different than amateur week was. Today I had 15 things I had to do on my calendar, (sponsorship obligations, a couple training sessions, ART, meetings, ect.) AND of course I messed it up! I went to my ART appointment when I was supposed to be a press conference for Lifesport pros...needless to say, I missed them both. After that I repeated "K-Swiss, Argon 18, K-Swiss, Argon 18 over and over to make sure I don't miss those functions!! Today was longer than ever with all the things I needed to do, BUT I loved it and embraced it...it was just so different than in 2007 when I just needed to get my race number and race. I got a lot to learn still...
.
Coach Paul was there to calm me down and let me know life will go on... but I better not miss anymore obligations. I really would be lost without him this week. Tomorrow looks a little easier. A ride with the amigos, a swim, 10:00 coffee talk (at Lifesport, come visit), a meeting with coach, then the MANDATORY pro meeting that I WILL NOT MISS, then watching "Motorcycle Diaries"... I can handle tomorrow...
Today was just trouble in Ironman Land. BUT I did manage my first ever nap of the week, a nap where I fell asleep, snored, and had a dream! 3 more sleeps till the BIG DAY! More taper please!
Bree
.




24 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Brazilian bikinis are NO joke...let's just say one better be 'prepared' for that. They don't call it Brazilian for nothing;)

Rest lots and thanks for more pictures of hawt guys. I can always count on you!

October 7, 2009 at 11:51 PM

 
Blogger Shelley said...

Thanks for making us feel like we are there, all of the pics are awesome. I love your t-shirts, are those custom made?

October 8, 2009 at 12:42 AM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

You are going to rock!

October 8, 2009 at 12:48 AM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Have a great race, Bree!! I'm so excited for you...I can't wait to watch!

October 8, 2009 at 2:55 AM

 
Blogger Trihardist said...

That's a cool story, about the swimming. Really made my morning.

I bet it's stressful, but I also get the impression that you're enjoying the ride! Good luck!

October 8, 2009 at 3:04 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Love that word EMBRACE... (as seen on my last post). Fernanda, Jeesh.. I raced with her at Alcatraz YEARS ago. I guess old (not that she is old) triathletes dont die... they just go to Kona.

Oh....by the way... CHILL!!

October 8, 2009 at 3:11 AM

 
Blogger greyhound said...

Yeah, 2.4 miles in the ocean. **gulp**

I'm doing my first ocean IM in Cozamel in November and I'm still trying to wrap my confidence around that swim leg. Finish up rocking your bad self around the Kona course and then I want to download your knowledge.

October 8, 2009 at 3:13 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Next year I volunteer to be your wrangler to make sure you get to all your appointments on time. I figure I can do that from the beach with a cell phone, right? (I am trying to find any excuse to get to Hawaii - especially now that it's 43 degrees here.)

Keep chillin'!

October 8, 2009 at 3:49 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

Hope it was a great dream! 3 more days! Sleep well Bree! OH - and loved the spread in triathlete this month. How cool was that to open it up and see you take us on a tour of Hawaii! So fun! Great job!

October 8, 2009 at 4:43 AM

 
Blogger Samantha said...

Motorcycle Diaries...good movie! I had to watch it for one of my Spanish classes last year. Good luck this weekend!!! Bruce (Pauls Dad Bruce) is having a get together for everyone to watch. I know you'll do great!!!

October 8, 2009 at 5:23 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

Enjoying the daily updates! Thanks!

October 8, 2009 at 5:25 AM

 
Blogger Julia said...

After reading all your posts about Kona, I had a dream I was in Kona watching the Ironman last night :)
Hope you have some great dreams as well before the big day!

October 8, 2009 at 5:36 AM

 
Blogger JTG said...

Have really enjoyed your daily posts. Hopefully I'll get there next year. Best of luck!!
PS- Where did you get that black Kona shirt. Best I have seen.

October 8, 2009 at 6:28 AM

 
Blogger tinaparker87 said...

Go Bree! Nap for me too!

October 8, 2009 at 6:43 AM

 
Blogger Kelly B. said...

If you need a personal assistant, let me know where to send the resume...our boys could play together! Would be fun!! And I could move to Hawaii..even funner!!
Seriously...go get em this weekend!! Will be cheering from Canada...btw its snowing here today. Bummer.

October 8, 2009 at 8:24 AM

 
Blogger wonderwoman said...

Great updates Bree! Good Luck out there, can't wait to see how it goes!

October 8, 2009 at 12:40 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Your head must be spinning! Love these updates Bree...you are such a gift to the world of triathlon.

October 8, 2009 at 1:41 PM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

Don't worry about missing a few things on the list of things to do. The only thing you really need to do is show up to the start line on time!

Love all of your custom shirts.

October 8, 2009 at 2:51 PM

 
Blogger hillerie said...

Sam and I will be at Regensburg Senior household cheering on Sunday. Do you think you'll be able to hear us scream. Sam is pretty loud you know. ha-ha.

My John is supposed to give you a big hug from me.

October 8, 2009 at 4:19 PM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

You are going to rock on Saturday!!!!!

October 8, 2009 at 6:02 PM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

Bree I will be Todd's assistant just to triple check that you don't miss anything! Love the pics of your "Ironman Days"!
Gooooo Chickeeta Bree!

October 8, 2009 at 6:31 PM

 
Blogger skoshi said...

Bree-Thanks for your day to day commentary. You rememer us even when you have so much else to think about. I've gotten lost in my obligations at times too--always when there is just so-o much going on. As an aside, the man in your final pic, hidden under sunglasses, looks like Whit--but I'm guessing it's not...

October 8, 2009 at 6:54 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I used to swim in lane 5. I learnt to swim properly since returning to Taiwan.

October 9, 2009 at 2:56 AM

 
Blogger Sue said...

Thanks for making Chloe feel coollll. She went for a run last night by herself on Alli. Made me proud..we will be cheeringfor you!!

October 9, 2009 at 6:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home