Aloha!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tackling Taper Tuesday...

Today started out with this newspaper... it's DON'T DO THIS!!! and I, (the naughty girl always finding trouble without looking), am the example.... IF you even think about crossing the finish line with a child or grandma you are disqualified and might make front page of the paper as the bad girl...ooooops, I blame it on Kainoa and the Hooter's shirt!
Taper Tuesday started with a swim. I hung onto Ezekiel's feet, Pablo hung onto mine and the amigos hung on to his... it was another amazing day in Kailua Bay. HOWEVER it was also a dream swim! A huge pod of dolphins swam with us, played with us, jumped around us, and we even got lucky enough to touch them. A mother and her baby played and reminding me just how incredible this life is...all of it. It was so beautiful. Amongst the crowds we felt as calm as can be in the storm that has taken over Kona. AND what an exciting storm it is...
From there it was a big "HELLO" to Coach Paul and the K-Swiss crew... where I decided I am wearing the Australian flag shoes. K-Swiss has 5 new flag shoes, I would like the American Flag ones, BUT they have gold on them and this girl is not a gold girl, at all. SO... the OZ ones have the chunk of the flag showing that just happens to be the Hawaii state flag, given to the islands...they look like the "Hawaii flag shoe" to me... so those will be on my feet Saturday!
AND they make slippers now too.... very cool... I will show you those later. From there it was CHECK IN! Number 138 step right up, sign your life away, and there you go! YAHOO... after chasing the Kona slot all last year, nailing it at Ironman Florida, I am FINALLY in the race!
YES! Love that "Gold" athletes band! Actually, I tried to trade for a blue one...
Shaka time with Randy! AND the famous Kym Kiser (below), she helped launch the Kona Wahine Bikini Ride... ha ha...Ready to go Big Island team??!!
Tuesday then saw me RUNNING...not much to tell, I just ran for 45 minutes. After that, ARGON 18 time! Pablo and I pretended we were working the booth while we waited for the crew to get back, I almost sold 2 bikes, they should hire me! ha ha...

Does it look like I know what I am talking about? BECAUSE I DO... from there MORE running. Time to run and get Kainoa from school. This is where I began to bonk. Chasing and tackling a 3yr old boy left me pooped by the time it was "time to go again"... oh yes, taper does not involve motherhood.
Wrapping up the night was the Lifesport Lounge. A little gathering of coaches, athletes, and friends. I had to sneak a foto with Lisa Bentley, I just adore her. She has one of the coolest hearts of any pro I ever met. My first real meeting with her was Ironman 07. She gave a chat about racing an Ironman, I was the rookie in the corner taking notes with a pen and promising myself to do everything she said. You know what she said in that meeting, everything she does in her life, training, and racing. She gave us nearly all her secrets and advice. There were other pro women in there too, her very competition she was spilling her guts too. She loves sport so much she just wants to give back, I have always admired that and promised myself that if I ever become a pro I would try to be like that... anyways, she will be deeply missed in the race this year...
Tuesday is now covered in carob chips and cheese (that would be Kainoa). Motherhood calls, time to tackle it, then bed. Another amazing day in "Ironman Land".
Good night from Kona!
Bree
.



22 Comments:

Blogger chr15 said...

Maybe those dolphins were just keeping an eye on you. Mother and baby too, what beauty what a privalege.

Present company excepted, naturally, Lisa Bentley has always been my favourite pro... My comment about 'tri-royalty' that is what I mean right there! I've always been jealous of my Canadian freinds just racing in the same race as her.

Your words describe her perfectly "one of the coolest hearts" and if it is LB you aspire to, then you are doing just fine!

So, what are K-swiss thinking??? Their premier sponsored athlete, and they don't even put out a Hawaii version of their flag shoes, for you or to commemorate Kona! I say get the sharpies out!

I hope the IM people aren't really planning on banning relatives from the finish line!

That image of you crossing the line with Kainoa is (IMO) as iconic as Julie Moss crawling or Dave Scott/Mark Allen running side by side. For the most part IM is a life acheivement and to put a total exclusion on sharing that finishing moment with a family member just sucks!

Aside from the huge undertaking from the athlete in not only going the distance and the training to get there, it is an acknowledgement of the sacrifices made to and by their family.

The Hooters shirt is just awesome! So now I know where Kainoa's favourite place to hang after school is :)

October 6, 2009 at 10:31 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

I love your Kona stories Bree - you should think about becoming a journalist or writer or something. Nearly there and remember I will be cheering for you all the way from Europe :))

October 6, 2009 at 10:58 PM

 
Blogger Chloe said...

No doubt - trouble always comes from kids wearing hooters shirts :) But that is an amazing picture!! Everytime I see it - it gets me excited about this crazy sport!

That is crazy about the dolphins - and I can't wait to see the new K-swiss shoes and flops! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my k-swiss racing flats!!

Cheers from Florida!

October 7, 2009 at 1:42 AM

 
Blogger tri-ing races not cases said...

Thanks for all of your pictures and updates. I read your blog regularly and its my fav. We'll be cheering you on this weekend from Richmond, VA. Go get it girl.

October 7, 2009 at 1:45 AM

 
Blogger Sherry said...

Electricity city! I think your blog captures that excitement of Kona best! I feel like I'm right there!

KSwiss had a nice booth at Augusta 70.3. I didn't get to spend any quality time with the shoes, but they are lookers, for sure! Enjoy! Enjoy!

The countdown begins... I'm cheering hardest for YOU from Florida, Bree! Go! Go! Go!

October 7, 2009 at 1:47 AM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

I am getting so excited for you!!

October 7, 2009 at 1:52 AM

 
Blogger Missy said...

Very exciting and thanks for posting hot pictures of men in speedos for the rest of us. People want to make fun of the speedo and I just say - you've never seen it done right, my friend;)

Best of luck to you and hey, you sold ME two pair of KSwiss shoes - it's your calling...in another life.

October 7, 2009 at 2:34 AM

 
Blogger Big Daddy Diesel said...

How fun!!! Swimming with the dolphins

Good luck this weekend, love it when its time for the reward for all the hard work it takes to that point.

ps: I feel WTC is losing its sense of what IM and HIM are really about to the athletes in the event. When your in that chute, its the biggest reward for all your training and sacrifice and its not just yours, its for all that supported you.

October 7, 2009 at 2:49 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

You know, WTC needs to get over it! How unsafe is it finishing with the family members that had a part in your success? It is kind of like the I pod debate on the run or bike. I actually consider it safer to wear Ipod on the bike (as a back of the packer) so I don't fall asleep!!

October 7, 2009 at 3:00 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

Love reading your coverage from Kona! I have to say though, the best part lately has been seeing all of the cute boys with very little coverage on.......yowza!
Have a great race! Lots of people cheering you on from our computers!

October 7, 2009 at 3:20 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

I love taper because you post so much more. Has Coach Paul talked to Kainoa about your taper? He seems to have grabbed control of all the other aspects of your life. (HaHa) Have fun chillin' for another day or so.

October 7, 2009 at 3:26 AM

 
Blogger Shelley said...

Best wishes Bree, you are my fav!! I hope you do most awesome at IMH.

October 7, 2009 at 3:32 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

I am loving all the updates from Kona!! I can't wait to cheer you on!

October 7, 2009 at 3:36 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Thanks for taking us along with you this week. Even my husband, who is looking over my shoulder when I read your blog, is interested. (he says he hates you for living the good life in Hawaii, he's so jealous!).

We both got a kick out of the newspaper article. I guess you're the "bad girl" of the sport; living life on the edge.

So excited and routing for you all the way!

October 7, 2009 at 4:06 AM

 
Blogger Running~Jordan said...

I am so excited for you Bree. I will be sending you smiles and good vibes from Canada...

:) :)

October 7, 2009 at 4:09 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

The big day is getting close! Is it a wetsuit suit or is one of those guys going to wait until the night before to have a shave? Hope you finish well.

October 7, 2009 at 6:23 AM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

How exciting to get to swim with a pod of dolphins! Thank you for sharing all the stuff that is going on around you as a pro athlete this past week. Many of us will never get that experience and we are living vicariously through you.

3 more days!

October 7, 2009 at 8:49 AM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

Nice post AMIGA, a dream swiming at Kailua Bay....
The Argon 18 looks very nice .
I´m excited waitting for the big dance....i follow you all from home...
Buenas noches !! Recuerdos a Pablo! His my new friend on Facebook..

October 7, 2009 at 9:38 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

Such a great post! Thinking of you Bree. So glad you liked the CD! So proud of you already! Go BREE

October 7, 2009 at 11:05 AM

 
Blogger Julia said...

haha, I totally have to agree with Renee!
I am getting so excited just reading your blog :)

October 7, 2009 at 12:27 PM

 
Blogger Bob Almighty said...

Good Lucky Bree, You are going to fly on Saturday!

October 7, 2009 at 2:34 PM

 
Blogger Sean said...

Good Luck on Saturday Bree! Sarasota is pulling for you!

October 8, 2009 at 3:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home