Aloha!

Sunday, November 29, 2009

I Drank The Water!

WOOOHOOO! Another Ironman in my body, another amazing adventure, and I feel fantastic! EXCEPT I am way too loaded up on all the Ironman fuel to calm down...so, I'll write this report. Let me tell ya, it was my 7th Ironman, the very most challenging one I have done, so far. However, it was also one that I am feeling so proud of myself for...totally ZERO regrets to come tackle Cozumel.
.
This week I was the most "pro" I have been so far in my career. We stayed in a hotel FAR from the action, I did not meet up with a single friend, I never explored the island (VERY TEMPTING!), I slept lots, took naps, and made myself "prepare mentally and visualize". It felt kinda odd for me, but it was worth it to explore a different side of me...
Woke up feeling like a million trillion bucks, blasted my tunes, and got ready with some some Mexican white bread that was crunchy. Got to the race site and focused on getting ready, thanks to Pablo steeling my camera so I was unable to socialize or snap a single foto. Phewwwww... Again, I was proud of this side of me. It's new.
.
Going into the race I had 3 goals, swim strong and on feet, be brave on my bike, and don't walk any of the marathon. Of course Pablo made me a deal too, DO NOT high-five all the children, DO NOT site-see on the 3 loop ride around the island, and DO NOT wave and talk to every person I see on the run. If I could accomplish that he would personally drive my tired bum around the island the next day and let me look at everything, take a million fotos, and EXPLORE! Fine, deal, shook on it...
Honestly, this was the only goofing off I did all day long...I think. It's Oscar Galindez preparing for his race and me, well, also preparing for my race...
The swim was beautiful! A bit of chop, some current (in one direction, like swimming on a treadmill, the other direction it was like a free ride). I would like to say I am happy as a mermaid that my swim has improved so much and all those long solo ocean swims, or floats, have paid off. I would also like to announce that it is not good enough for the front pack and I was dropped. The bummer was I was not willing to slow for the second pack... so I was solo as solo can be.
.
Sooner than later I felt some guys on my feet and thankfully had company behind me for the first 2000. The next 1000 or so, Galindez swam next to me, it was fun having him there, I have always admired him the company kept me focused....except for the MILLIONS of starfish I saw on the ocean floor, it was SO tempting not to dive down for them! HUGE and beautiful.... the last 1000 meters plus some I was overtaken by the guys on Oscar and my feet and enjoyed a nice ride to the swim exit, along with a beautiful black eye.... thanks boys!
The bike I just wanted to be brave, I stayed in control with my HR, didn't let the other chicas ride away from me (except Yvvone the flying Dutch woman) who would have put my HR in zone 10, and I made sure to nail my nutrition/hydration. It was a good ride, not sure if it was beautiful since my eyes were off limits to site-seeing till tomorrow. It was very hot on one side and very windy too, a lot like Hawi, in fact, I think I was riding there a few times.
.
Off the bike I felt like a million bucks and thought for sure today would be the day my run would go the way it goes in training. In fact, I even brought my lucky fuel belt that gets me through all my long runs back home...

Let the most fun 26.2 miles begin! In the fuel belt, that had to be turned it yesterday afternoon, kept overnight, then held all day in the hot T2 tent, was my amazing mix (same stuff that fueled my ride so well), was now, bad. I took some just after the first mile and before I knew it my stomach was on the floor. Mentally I did everything I could to pull it together. I tried one more time, it was so sour, so hot, and maybe even molding!
.
One cute little boy on the side of the road liked it so I threw it to him and told him to ENJOY it.... I hope he never drank any! He was pretty happy, until Pablo stole it back and told me I have to have it, I threw that thing right in the bushes...
.
From there the run became jog and puke and I made it till mile 14 before I finally walked an aid station. I knew I had to get fuel in there and so I figured if I walk it and eat/drink everything then I might get back to my pace. Never happend... nothing would stay in. Truly I believe I would have been better off drinking the water in Mexico (that everyone said not to drink) than drinking what I drank, it was food poisoning if you ask me.
.
My goal of running an entire marathon never happend today, however I ran MOST of it, just really slow because for me tossing my frijoles while running isn't very fast...unfortunately. I walked 3 whole times for about half a minute... mission almost accomplished! NEXT year!!!!
.
Crossing the finish line was the best part! The crowds were amazing, the race was so well done, and the experience was unlike anything! I thought only of Kainoa in that moment and wished he was there waiting for mommy. From there, med tent.
.
The med tent was AWESOME! From the barf/jog I lost 10 pounds! Usually I gain 4 in an Ironman. I got a nice IV, 2 kinds of medicine that I had no idea what it was, and I got mostly naked! For real. Was shocking out from being freezing and wet in Mexico so the doctors told me I had to get out of my Splish and into a shirt then covered.... problem was the IV was already in my arm and I was so out of it to sit up or move. My Argentina Amigo Favorito to the rescue, the training partner has now seen my boobs along with half the med tent men who had to get me warm. I was also poked twice in the boobs while searching for my something, not sure what. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I was coherent. ha ha ha....
What a fantastic race! What an amazing day! What a dream... I am already wanting to return next year! Thanks a MILLION to the amazing race directors, the super crowds of people cheering, the med tent men that needed me naked, Pablo, and the girls who gave me a good push! Of course to the sponsors and family too! Congrats to EVERYONE who raced today too! AND Rutger Beke (see above) and Yvonne V for their amazing wins! As for me, not sure if I was 4th or 5th, the results are in some language other than Spanish or English and in one of the results I am a boy... either way, I am happy beyond words.
.
Now time to recover, take a little off season, and of course prepare for the island exploration tomorrow! THEN, Kainoa, mommy is coming home! I miss you!!
.
THANKS again for all the wonderful cheers and kind messages, I love you guys!
Bree.



47 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

congrats Bree. Sounds like a tough run, but good on you for toughing it out!

November 29, 2009 at 6:04 PM

 
Blogger Sue said...

Well, dont tell, but I wanted you to bet Yvonne:) Congrats, it was a 4th place!!

November 29, 2009 at 6:07 PM

 
Blogger D said...

:)

November 29, 2009 at 6:20 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Wow, you are tough. I love the spirit. By the way Hula girl had a fast ride. Did you put an aero helmet on her?

November 29, 2009 at 6:20 PM

 
Blogger Mary said...

Glad you are ok! Congrats and way to hang tough!

November 29, 2009 at 6:21 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Bree, congrats on a great race! So sorry to hear about the stomach issues...that fact that you pushed through and kept your wonderful attitude is classic-Bree! Super happy for you chica!

November 29, 2009 at 6:27 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

Congrats on the 4th place!!!

November 29, 2009 at 6:30 PM

 
Blogger goSonja said...

I always think it's strange that you can't put your run nutrition in your race bag the morning of. Way to perservere, and hey, in childbirth and ironman med tents alike, modesty goes out the window! I hope you attend the roll down...just in case.

November 29, 2009 at 6:32 PM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

HUGE Congrats Chicka! You are such and inspiration! Enjoy your tour, get some rest and live, laugh and love!

November 29, 2009 at 6:56 PM

 
Blogger Liliana said...

ja ja Increible, hasta el momento mas dificil lo haces divertido.
Buenisima la experiencia y los resultados de ella, algunas cositas, con mi maravilloso ingles quedaron en duda!!! LOL "my boobs along with half the med tent men who had to get me warm"
Super Bree, felicitaciones una vez mas

November 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM

 
Blogger maria.benadik said...

wow...you were incredible out there...a great way to end 2009 Bree...congratulations

November 29, 2009 at 7:10 PM

 
Blogger rr said...

Congratulations WEE!! You are such a star, fighting right through to the end.. you almost have me wanting to do another.. xoxo

November 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM

 
Blogger Mama Simmons said...

Congrats, Bree! Enjoy your well-earned sightseeing tomorrow. :)

November 29, 2009 at 7:43 PM

 
Blogger Terrish B said...

WOW!! I am so proud of you! Happy you get to get driven around for sight-seeing.... That is what you deserve. Soak it up darling, you deserve it!

November 29, 2009 at 8:10 PM

 
Blogger monsterkeon said...

Congrats on 4th place Bree!!! u totally rawked! as usual! glad ur alright frm all the puking! incredible inspiration u are!!

November 29, 2009 at 8:38 PM

 
Blogger Go Gammie said...

Way to go Bree!!! Awesome race again!!! Enjoy the rest of your stay before you head home :)

November 29, 2009 at 8:42 PM

 
Blogger Josie said...

Bree rocks the party that rocks the party! Fourth place is AWESOME! And that swim time was incredible too! Congratulations!

November 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM

 
Blogger Love and Puppies, Christy said...

Congrats!! I cheered for you on the run! You did great!! YAYYYY!!!

November 29, 2009 at 11:13 PM

 
Blogger Missy said...

Congrats! Sounds like a rough run, very rough.

Poked in the boobies, that's how they say, hello, nice to meet you. Didn't you know?

November 30, 2009 at 2:05 AM

 
Blogger Dee said...

Bree- THANK YOU for encouraging me to run (jog) out there! I would have finished much later if I didnt have you to get me going out there!!! CONGRATS on a great race...enjoy the island today!! Thanks again...your energy, even when you aren't feeling very well, is the best!
:-) Dee (Danielle)

November 30, 2009 at 2:13 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Congrats Bree!! You are so tough to finish (and still run pretty darn fast to us mortals) while throwing up all that time and not getting in the proper nutrition. UGH! That is so hard!! But great job and you are right - one of these days that run is going to work out like you know it can! Enjoy your island exploration today!

November 30, 2009 at 3:03 AM

 
Blogger Leah said...

You are amazing and so inspiring, as always. Enjoy your sightseeing and your "little off-season."

November 30, 2009 at 4:09 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

Awesome race Bree! That does suck about the rotten fuel belt. Maybe for hot races like that, freezing the bottle before you drop it off would help? Just a thought.

I was following you all day and cheering you on. Hopefully you felt everyone's good vibes. The timing and athlete tracker was all wacky, giving different times/places, but whatever it said, you were always killing it.

Now go explore Cozumel! You earned it.

November 30, 2009 at 4:53 AM

 
Blogger Nibbles said...

Such an inspiration! You got fourth after barfing up your guts on the run! Wow, Bree! Enjoy the sightseeing!

November 30, 2009 at 5:08 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Ms. Wee,
You have HUGE cojones! (another spanish word I know and again used inappropriately here as you are, obviously, a girl.) That swim was inspired and your bike kicked butt. Then, to run a puke-athon and still finish in 9:45. Un-believable! If you had any doubts about whether you deserve to be a pro I would hope they have been put to rest by that performance. You are gonna put it all together one of these times and all the tough races will have paid off. Now, go hug that cute son of yours.

Great job!

November 30, 2009 at 5:32 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

NICE race!
Now all we have to figure out is this nutrition thing.
Powder that you mix?
I left my powder in dry form in a 20 ounce open mouth bottle at IMFL. When I picked it out of the T2 bag I just poured in a bottle of water and shook it up. Carried it with me until the 13 mile bag and repeated.
Maybe an option?

You need to go for a scuba dive while there. Great drift diving (probably the current you witnessed in the race)

November 30, 2009 at 5:45 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Great race Bree. It sounds like we all had it rough on the run. When I saw you, you were looking strong. Glad I got to meet you!

November 30, 2009 at 6:39 AM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

Wow you seem to always find the roughest way around the 140miles. Thanks for the Rev3 code. Do you have your schedule for next year yet? Come on coach Knoxville is beautiful in May

November 30, 2009 at 7:49 AM

 
Blogger Adrienne said...

Awesome race report Bree! So happy for you and all that you have experienced and accomplished. You are such an amazing woman!

November 30, 2009 at 8:24 AM

 
Blogger Red Rock Chica @ Red Rock World said...

You rock Bree!! Go enjoy yourself some more now :-)

November 30, 2009 at 10:13 AM

 
Blogger MM said...

Congrats! Have fun seeing the sigths!

November 30, 2009 at 10:41 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Congrats. Sorry your stomach was sickly - no fun! But way to stick it out and hang tough as nails! Enjoy exploring and some off time :)

November 30, 2009 at 10:56 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Great job!

November 30, 2009 at 11:17 AM

 
Blogger Greyt Times said...

Hoa Chica! Congrats on your race. I know you were suffering - I could see it in your face, but you were so close to your no-walk goal. As you say - next year!! It was great to finally meet in person. Enjoy your remaining time on the island! -Rachelle

November 30, 2009 at 2:38 PM

 
Blogger Lisa G said...

Great job! Sounds like a fun day (with the exception of the puking!). Awesome finish to your season!

November 30, 2009 at 3:52 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer Harrison said...

GOOD job, Bree!!!! I loved tracking your race!

November 30, 2009 at 3:55 PM

 
Blogger Damie said...

Congrats from Memphis! That run you want to nail is on your horizon...I know you are hungry for it!

November 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Yay, great job Bree!

December 1, 2009 at 12:02 AM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Sorry to hear about the nutrition problems on the run. It's amazing how each little thing can make or break the race as it were. I hope you can work out a more effective feeding strategy for next time, and that can take into account issues like storage in heat, etc. If you want a "hot" race, maybe Ironman China would be one to consider!

December 1, 2009 at 2:42 AM

 
Blogger greyhound said...

That was a super tough day and you looked like you were in your pain cave when you ran by me. Lizard was in the med tent too. But the Mexican crowds were the best ever.

December 1, 2009 at 3:04 AM

 
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Another great race despite some nutrition issues!! I can't imagine how icky that must have been to drink sour stuff on the run. Way to hang in there and grab 4th. Hope to see you in Kona soon!

December 1, 2009 at 5:28 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

You still managed a 3:37 marathon with some walking and feeling like death warmed over??

Impressive.

Your Splishy is so very cute.

Enjoy your rest time
xx

December 1, 2009 at 6:22 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Wow, I am super impressed. I can't wrap my brain around the fact that you puked your way through the run and still managed a 3:37?! Not even on my best day in my dreams! But that is why you are a pro and I am not.

Well done! I'm glad you are happy with your race, I think that counts more than anything. Way to tough it our girl!

Oh, and the boobs thing had me rolling. I have a feeling the guys were warming up faster than you after that!

December 1, 2009 at 7:02 AM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

ENHORABUENAAAA !
Estoy muy contento de leer este post.Muy buen planteamiento y ejecucion !
Un abrazooooo !!!

December 1, 2009 at 7:07 AM

 
Blogger Sarah Giacomarra Schrader said...

Awesome job! I can't believe you barfed through the entire run and STILL got 4th place. You are one tough chick. I am impressed as always.

December 1, 2009 at 9:02 AM

 
Blogger Lisa said...

What an amazing effort - super impressive!!! SOrry to hear the run was not what you had expected....next time!!!!

December 2, 2009 at 11:54 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

i saw you on the run looking strong! congratulations on a fantastic race despite the tum tum issues. what a fantastic race venue right?

December 7, 2009 at 7:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home