Aloha!

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Ocean Blue, Sky Blue, Beautiful Blue...

Estoy Aqui!! Cozumel.... WOW! Already the Spanish is flowing, (mine more like flops than flows, but you know what I mean)... burritos are in my belly, and the race is another day closer! For the first time ever I wish the race was manana! Usually I want a few more days...I'm excited in this breath, this moment, this second to go swimbikerun! It's like a dream to be surrounded by so much blue! It's an island but not like Hawaii, it's little here, like 3 bike loops of the Ironman bike course pretty much covers most the island, little.
.
Let's talk about my discoveries so far, (remember, things change from now till race day), but so far.... it has been so hot that I was pretty sure someone was putting me in the oven to cook me for turkey dinner. It has been so cold (like right now), that I am wishing I had on a jacket. The wind has not stopped and it is MORE than the winds I know of Hawi, no wonder they said NO DISC WHEELS!. I'm pretty sure if the ocean continues as it is we can call it "treadmill swimming" thanks to the current, and the chop, I like it, a lot! This mi amigo es Mexico, and that must be why the race shirt says, "It takes an Ironman to conquer this island". Wow, unbelievable in so many ways, mostly beautiful and blue!
Other discoveries that I have never undiscovered is how TRULY blessed I am to have this opportunity! I pinched myself the entire flight over the sea on the way to Cozumel...and you better believe race day when it's hot like an oven, windy, and choppy, when I feel like puking or whatever the day brings, I will still be thankful to be in those moments than any other...
.
I have also discovered the people in Mexico are SO KIND! Not really a shocker, I've spent enough time in Latin America to know most the people of this culture have giant hearts, welcoming hands, and a lot of appreciation for the simple things. Speaking of simple... no Internet in the rooms and zero phone service for me! LOVE it!! However, the lobby has internet so I can still check in back home from time to time. AND Coach, I will find a way to call you!
As race day gets closer and while it's still Thanksgiving Day, THANK YOU to my sponsors, supporters, friends, family, coach, and manager for making this trip, this coming Ironman, part of my life. Beyond any of my wildest dreams...to be here in Mexico...another country, another Ironman! I just wish Kainoa was here, everything reminds me of him, including the fact the hotel has child care on the beach, with a play ground, kiddie pools, and beach toys galore for $5 an hour! He could have his own Ironman while I'm racing mine!
.
Thanks a lot for all the wonderful messages, I will be thinking of you all 140.6 miles long! "Muchas gracias para todos los mensajes. Los llevo a todos en mi corazon-140.6 millas!"

Muchos abrazos!
Bree



13 Comments:

Blogger Coach Liz said...

Thanks for the head's up on wanting a jacket. I will stick one in my bag.

See you there!

November 26, 2009 at 2:13 PM

 
Blogger Love and Puppies, Christy said...

HOORAY!! It's gonan be great! Windy and hot (and then cold for me at the end! :), but GREAT!

November 26, 2009 at 2:58 PM

 
Blogger Love and Puppies, Christy said...

HOORAY!! It's gonan be great! Windy and hot (and then cold for me at the end! :), but GREAT!

November 26, 2009 at 2:58 PM

 
Blogger Love and Puppies, Christy said...

HOORAY!! It's gonan be great! Windy and hot (and then cold for me at the end! :), but GREAT!

November 26, 2009 at 2:58 PM

 
Blogger Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Love it! Looks absolutely gorgeous out there - have a BLAST (I know you will!) Cheering for you from CA :)

November 26, 2009 at 3:49 PM

 
Blogger Kim said...

It looks amazing!! Thinking of you Bree.. you can do it!

November 26, 2009 at 5:42 PM

 
Blogger Mama Simmons said...

Looks beautiful!! Have a great race, Bree!

November 26, 2009 at 7:46 PM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

There's nothing you can't handle. Go get 'em!

tn

November 26, 2009 at 8:16 PM

 
Blogger Tawnee said...

I was lucky enough to visit Cozumel last year... simply amazing! This is your kinda place, and this is YOUR RACE. Kill it out there.

November 26, 2009 at 8:23 PM

 
Blogger greyhound said...

Glad you like the chop. Me, not so much.

November 27, 2009 at 2:12 AM

 
Blogger TriGirl Kate O said...

Disfruta lo! Espero que tengas una carrera extraordinaria! Te seguire on line. Muchos abrazos.

November 27, 2009 at 3:52 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Good luck bree!! Have fun!

November 27, 2009 at 6:09 AM

 
Blogger Speed Racer said...

Your optimism and thirst for life continues to amaze me! You say you were pinching yourself the whole ride over, I was wondering if it was the silent Russian or the loud-mouth southerner behind me who kept passing gas.

Good luck this weekend. I'm sure if you think it's hot, then the Dutch and British competitors will melt. I bet you'll kick ass!

(And if I run into you again this weekend, I promise I won't hide!)

November 27, 2009 at 10:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home