Aloha!

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sunsets To Sunrises...

Yesterday during my On-Line cheering frenzy for Ironman Florida and just moments before my long run for IM Cozumel my mom calls me... "Bree, Grandma died". The second grandma to pass this year. Part of me wanted to continue to shout at my computer for my friends to keep racing strong, the other part wanted to go run my long run really fast, and then there was this part of me that was at peace....
.
Life is funny like that. In the middle of something unpleasant sometimes we are most rest assured that everything is okay. Needless to say, I spent the sunset at the beach saying good bye to my grandma...then spent more time shopping for my little sisters baby shower. Life goes on, a new baby in our family as one passes. From there I had to stop thinking about it all and of course ended up at Burrito Land with a friend and some good laughs....
.
Then I woke up to this beautiful sunrise. It was amazing, clear view of Hualalai, smells of plumerias in the air, and no traffic on the roads. From that sunset last night to the sunrise this morning, I realized how beautiful life really, really is. It is so short, yet long enough to experience so much. It is so fragile that we have to embrace it, yet strong enough to withstand all of our mess ups. And of course, it holds so much beauty if we just look. Today I made sure to absolutely enjoy the moments from sunrise all the way to sunset (about 5 minutes ago...)
Some of my favorite people in the world swam out to sea with me. It was perfect. Little swells to make the normally calm swim more adventurous, shades of greens and blues tinted the ocean floor, and of course that sunrise...

By the looks of the "Pier Box" you can tell the ocean was full of more than just fish, half the town of Kona was swimming! It was one of those swims where you can't help but drop your jaw in awe. We have it pretty good here, being able to swim every day of the year, and it's nice to see so many people embracing how fortunate we are.
.
My bike was soon calling. A nice easy long ride was waiting for me. That Hawaiian "tropical island breeze" was non-existent and there was no sign of winter out there today. We had wind in both directions on all sides, the heater was on, and not a cloud to be found. Never been to Mexico, but I think it was like Mexico HOT today. Thankfully, Pablo left his couch on the side of the road, made for a perfect rest spot...
Dear Coach, I am pooped. But I'm alive. Thank you that tomorrow I only have a swim...
In the middle of seeing stars and mirages and dizzy spells of one HOT day I did see this. I always notice the coral graffiti. Other than Coach Eric I'm not sure who "Eric" is or who wrote it, but I do see, "Bree", so whoever wrote it (even if it's to a different Bree), thanks! I'll just pretend my grandma wrote it to me as her good bye...
.
Aloha!
Bree
.



21 Comments:

Blogger Jill Costantino said...

ah Bree I'm sure you made your grandma smile from heaven with how you spent your day! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Live, Laugh and Love always!

November 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM

 
Blogger Kiet said...

My condolences Bree, but reading your posting makes me think that you've already made peace with it.

November 8, 2009 at 7:11 PM

 
Blogger D said...

Sorry, Bree. <3

November 8, 2009 at 7:14 PM

 
Blogger Dolphin Boy said...

Nice post Bree. I"m sure your grandma is smiling down towards you. Plain and simple; you are just one really really nice girl. Prayers and thoughts are with you.



Burrito...

November 8, 2009 at 7:56 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Big hugs to you my friend. Grandmas hold a special place in our hearts and it hurts so much to lose them. Glad you are surrounded by good friends and beautiful (hot) Hawaii.

November 8, 2009 at 8:15 PM

 
Blogger MJ said...

Religion isn't really my bag, but I do believe that when we die we go somewhere totally awesome... so I'm sure your Grandma is busy doing all the things she loves the most.

A lot like you are....

November 8, 2009 at 8:55 PM

 
Blogger The Lazy Triathlete said...

I am sorry about your loss. I have lost a mother and many friends this past year.

You have a great attitude--

Keep up the good work.

November 9, 2009 at 3:27 AM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

What a great way to celebrate her. I am sure you spend the day just the way she would have wanted you to.

November 9, 2009 at 4:03 AM

 
Blogger Trishie said...

So sorry to hear about your Grandma, Bree. It does sound like you spent the day celebrating her life by embracing yours.

November 9, 2009 at 4:15 AM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

Sending my condolences on your loss. I am sure that you will remember your grandma with lots of smiles and love.

Great HOT workout! It has cooled off in Texas but at least it is still in the 70's. 20 more days to go!!!

November 9, 2009 at 4:29 AM

 
Blogger Ange said...

I am sorry you lost your Grandma. Grandparents are very special. She is surely proud of you. you alwasy remind me to stop, slow down, and appreciate life.
And to get out there and crush my workouts!:o)

November 9, 2009 at 4:33 AM

 
Blogger Nibbles said...

Bree, I'm very sorry to hear of your grandma's passing. I'm sure you will hold her in your heart as you race IM Coz.

November 9, 2009 at 5:05 AM

 
Blogger Lisa G said...

Bree, I am sorry to hear about your Grandma. It sounds like you are doing okay, though, as you have such a positive outlook on life and have accepted it. Can't wait to hear about how IM Cozumel turns out!

November 9, 2009 at 6:10 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

What a great post and so meaningful. Sorry to your family for the loss of your grandma but at the same time, congrats on the upcoming new addition with your sisters baby.
Hope all is well.
-marn

November 9, 2009 at 6:31 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma as well. You have a great perspective on life and that certainly helps you deal with death. My prayers are with you and your family.

I am also praying that you didn't catch anything from Pablo's skanky couch along the side of the road. I always imagine something like that smelling like a bad Mexican restaurant and pee.

Keep enjoying paradise!

November 9, 2009 at 7:00 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

I'm sorry your lost your grandma, that is never fun. I'm glad you embrace life the way you do. Keep living it up on your awesome island!!

November 9, 2009 at 7:01 AM

 
Blogger Laura said...

So sorry to hear about your grandma. What wonderful words of wisdom you write about life. Thank you Bree!

November 9, 2009 at 7:08 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Great post, Bree. You always inspire me to be a little more grateful!

November 9, 2009 at 8:14 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

I am so sorry for your loss Bree. I was really close to my grandmother and it hurt when I lost her.

You are right, life goes on and how we choose to live our lives is how we pay tribute to the loved ones we've lost.


I think that gorgeous sunrise was a tribute to how you live your life; bright, beautiful and always colorful.

November 9, 2009 at 9:30 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma!! But I'm sure you made her smile down from heaven when she sees how much you enjoy life and how you embrace it! Thinking of you Bree!

November 9, 2009 at 10:44 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I don't want to sound like a Lion King movie but there is some solice in the circle of life. She (Grandma) is on a new trail we can only imagine but one thing is for sure, she's smiling down on you now.

November 9, 2009 at 11:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home