Aloha!

Monday, December 14, 2009

Oceans From Rain...

In 3 days I am going to be 30. Being 30 is the fun part, to have experienced the life I have lived and done as much as I have in only 30 years makes me feel young...and proud of the wondering wanderer/adventurer that I am. The part I'm not a big fan of is single motherhood. I'd never wish that on anyone, you know why? Holidays hurt.
.
Every other year is the big switcheroooo. Last year Kainoa was with me for 3 Christmas weeks, this year I had 3 Thanksgiving weeks. This will be the very first Christmas I won't spend with Kainoa since he was in my belly. Ick. Thinking on it took my breath away and Santa just became the least fun person in the world. In fact I've been grumpy... Dave and Wendy had to take me salsa dancing to get me back to "Bree". And I won't tell you the trouble they caused with their choice of "dancing partners" for me...
.
Anyways...I needed to find a way to turn my rain storm into an ocean or a flood of misery would consume me. A map in hand, a goal, and a little help from my old school... I was going BACK TO SCHOOL! 3 weeks would get me 3 credits! 30 hours a week would be a PERFECT fix for this momma, imagine, no time to pout and whine when your head is focused on SPANISH!
.
I know what you're thinking.... she is going BACK to Costa Rica for the 10th time, where she studied her senior year of college (see above foto). No, the map in hand.... I chose somewhere new, somewhere I have yet to discover. The most I know of this country is when I was in Honduras and we jumped the North boarder, shhhhhhh. I am going to Nicaragua! For school! Really! Yes crazy, why back to school, because I want to keep my teaching degree current, I want to study more Spanish, and this school has a volunteer program so I can work with kids!
.
Language classes all day, Latin dance classes, cooking classes, I signed up for them all! AND I get a family for Christmas! I'll be living with a local family that speaks no English...a mom, a 28 year old brother and his wife, and their 5 year old son. Kainoa and I did holiday shopping for them, (and all the neighborhood children). Rumor has it my new brother surfs too, and the school is on the beach, Pacific Ocean I LOVE YOU!

For sure the Nicaragua experience will keep me busy and help me keep the smile while missing my Kainoa. AND yesterday I was given the news that after all my planning Kainoa and his dad are coming back without the stop in California and I get to have Kainoa back sooner than later! Of course that made me happy, changing my flight did not. However, while waiting to hear the cost of a change fee for my earlier return flight the woman told me she will be giving me back $400!!! AMAZING, not only do I get to explore Nicaragua, get a bit of schooling, I also get Kainoa back sooner and I didn't get slammed with a flight change fee! I like Santa again....

Enough of my sappy single motherhood drama... look at this hilarious moment with Kainoa's first time playing ski-ball........... he has a lot to learn!

video

Buenos Noches...

.




15 Comments:

Blogger MM said...

I think this sounds like the perfect vacation for you. Do they have beginner classes? I have to learn Spanish at some point in the next 2 years.

December 14, 2009 at 10:58 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

You really are an adventurer. Sounds perfect.

December 15, 2009 at 12:16 AM

 
Blogger TB said...

Nicaragua!!! Wow!!! Someone told me that is the basil Capitol of the world. Have a great time and enjoy the food.

Happy birthday!!!

December 15, 2009 at 3:15 AM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

What an exciting adventure! Take lots of pictures (you do anyway), and learn to cook some amazing new food.

Happy 30th Birthday!!!

December 15, 2009 at 4:21 AM

 
Blogger Tim Kasparek said...

Amazing.

December 15, 2009 at 4:26 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Happy Birthday and have a great time on your new adventure!

December 15, 2009 at 4:31 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

You remind me so much of my sister it is scary. She would do exactly what you are doing if faced with your situation. To quote an overused expression, when you get lemons, you make lemonade, and that is what is great about you and my sis.

Happy Birthday!!!

I have to say, you do have me wondering about your dance partner....hmmmm

December 15, 2009 at 6:27 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

I was going to say that Cali is calling and that you should come over and hang with Charisa and I. But I guess Nicaragua is more "Bree style".

One of my best friends is there right now. He's looking for surfing partners.

Oh, and sorry, but from the way Kainoa throws, some time with his dad may be a good thing ;-) just sayin

December 15, 2009 at 6:55 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Wow - sounds like a wonderful opportunity! You don't seem to be the type to sit around and pout - so I knew you'd come up with something! Hope you have a wonderful trip to Nicaragua!! Can't wait to see the pictures!

December 15, 2009 at 7:09 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

The Adventures of Bree continue on and on and on! That is so fantastic! And Santa knows who the good girls are!
Enjoy your Adventure!

December 15, 2009 at 7:11 AM

 
Blogger t-odd said...

Kainoa throws like me! (That is not something to encourage, by the way.)

I remember when I turned 30. (No I don't, I am just trying to be cool.)

Nicaragua sounds like a great time. You will have to teach me some other Spanish phrases other than the ones I have been using. (Which, I found out, mean "It hurts when I urinate" and "Two beers, please.")

Now don't do anything Maggs wouldn't do your birthday.

December 15, 2009 at 7:32 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

Ohhhhh perfect!! This is going to be an awesome Christmas for you - I am sure! Have a very merry Christmas!

December 15, 2009 at 7:50 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

Is Kainoa still there trying to finish that game? Too cute.

Bree- I am so glad you are doing so much during the holidays. Taking care of yourself is super important and that sounds like the perfect gift for "you".

Perfect holiday!

tn

December 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM

 
Blogger Ange said...

oh dear...my heart would feel the same way as yours ...but you know.. You are amazing. you planned the perfect distraction!!! I love it! and btw.. my boys did the same thing when they played that skeeball thing the 1st time too. AND....ENJOY the 30s! the best ages ever.(I turn 40 in a couple weeks...blek.)

December 15, 2009 at 3:37 PM

 
Blogger Deborah said...

If I could figure out how to do it , I'd give you an itunes song .. . David Wilcox "Top of the Roller Coaster"
from The Very Best of David Wilcox. From a masters athlete ...remember downhill is so much faster. :-/

December 17, 2009 at 3:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home