Aloha!

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Pensando en espanol (Thinking in Spanish)...

It’s a cool thing to be thinking and dreaming in Spanish. Not really sure when my fascination with travel began, maybe when I was 15 and went to Costa Rica for the first time. I vividly remember returning home to tell my mom I fell in love with a Tico boy and wanted to live forever in Costa Rica. She thought it would wear off like all “summer lovin”. 15 years later I still dance in the hopes of life in Central America as much as I ever did. I’m here, in Central America, again for the 14th time in my life. Last night was another spectacular display of lights, under the stars and moon...
.
Amazing how huge the world is yet under the stars and moon nowhere seems too far. Last night on my walk I was day dreaming, not so much about a Tico boy or any boy for that matter, just thinking how wonderful it would be to share this beautiful life, then I looked again at the stars and hoped he was looking too, thinking of me the way I am thinking of him. Then I asked the stars to hold him for me. That was last night, forgive me, I get a little too romantica debajo de las estrallas...



That was yesterday at the beach with the girls, last night under the stars, today... a very different story! Woke up before the sun, ran without the IPOD, just me. Running here is so incredible, so simple, and having on clean socks I felt really fast! No cows chased me either.
.
Today was my adventure and clearly, I am beyond thankful my profesors did not let me go alone! Danillo, (one of my profesors), was my trusty side kick. He saw me running by his house in the dark and knew he was in touble. I showed up to his house holding grape juice, wearing a giant smile, knowing the adventure would be good! The plan, ride the bus all day and stop in all the towns so I can induldge in Nicaragua!! Quickly, it took us 11 hours, 5 buses, one taxi, and a few miles of walking.
I got a real, live turkey and my butt grabed in Masaya! No wonder they wouldn't let me take my trip solo. In Masaya the men, even if you are with a man, reach for you, grab you, and get in your face to kiss you! One man had my butt so tightly I was screaming for Danillo! After that I did not leave his side...till I saw some children that I simply MUST take fotos of!! Danillo was to my resuce each and everytime just as I was grabbed again, and again, and again...
After rows and rows of beautiful fruits and veggies in the market we found rows and rows of chicken parts, turkey parts, pig heads, cow parts, and fish parts. Never have I seen so much raw meat! Again they reminded me it's totally safe, when you cook it the bacteria burns off! I decided maybe I'll be vegetarian for the rest of the trip! A few rows later I smelt something... it was the cheese rows! At that moment my gag reflexes went into over drive and I started to kneel over! Danillo to the rescue! I was on my knees, how on Earth can dairy sit out in the sun all day, all week and be okay??? In that moment I decided I'm going vegan!
Our open market adventures, long walks through the old cities, views of churches and museums, kissing horses, and of course the volcanos, were then followed up by more busing...so I could see more! One of the bus paths was in the most scary parts of Nicaragua known and Danillo told me to put away my camera, he held one of my bags, and he told me to stay near. Well, let's just say I was the only tourist anywhere within driving distance and I stuck out like a star in a dark sky. I secretly snuck my camera back and began to film the drugs, robbery, fighting, and views of such a neighborhood. You better believe 2 men saw me and made a plan to grab my camera. I have it all on film! They walked around us, then came near, and as one man reached for my camera I flew back and hid in Danillo's safety. It was so shocking....once I get my internet access I will try to upload the video!
I would never have survided the trip on my own. Danillo is so worn out from babysitting me all day! He fell alseep on the bus ride back to San Juan Del Sur. I just got home from shopping for a "thank you" gift for him... Oh I love adventures!!
No trip would be complete without a book (you know I love books). Danillo helped me find a book on my Spanish level, mmmmm, all children's books! Finally, we found THE BOOK that hit the spot, an adult book, perhaps a bit over my head. "A Orillas del Rio Piedra me Sente y llore". (Beside the Piedra River I sat and I wept). I wanted this book back in America, its from Paulo Coelho, one of my favorite authors! It's a total "love your life and others" book... listen to this line: Quien ama vence al mundo, no tiene miedo perder nada. El verdado amor es un acto de entraga total. Loosely translated, by me, Those who love overcome the world, they are not afraid to lose anything. True love is an act of total Delivery. I'm pretty excited to read it...
.
Okay, thats all I have to report on, it's late, I have a GIANT test on Tuesday that I should start to study for. Almost the New Year, this trip has me ready for it!
.
LOTS of love to you all! MUCHO amor a todos! AND thank you for reading!!
Bree
.



13 Comments:

Blogger MM said...

That's one heck of a bento box (first picture).

December 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Such adventure! I'm sure I could get used to all the butt-grabbing :-)

December 27, 2009 at 7:35 PM

 
Blogger ADC said...

Wow, that is soo adventurous. But stay safe Bree.

December 28, 2009 at 5:38 AM

 
Blogger PocoLocoMan said...

I was told by my sister (who is fluent in Spanish and works as a deaf interpreter) that you know you've really started absorbing a language when you start dreaming in that language - so congratulations!!! :)

I'm getting more envious with each post... you are truly experiencing life right now. So much more fulfilling than taking the safe and comfortable route.

December 28, 2009 at 6:07 AM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

I am exhausted reading about your day, let alone living it! Wow! Take that Danillo man with you everywhere please...stay safe. Please tell us more on your adventures! Love them.

tn

December 28, 2009 at 6:24 AM

 
Blogger IAN said...

This scares me, but is awesome at the same time. Get home safe.

December 28, 2009 at 8:31 AM

 
Blogger Rosario said...

no this should not scare anybody
it would be the same to go to the wrong side of town in any part of the states and try to take pictures of a gangster... the most likely result... they would try to steal the camera.

December 28, 2009 at 8:34 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

You are braver than me. As romantic as the place may be, you still have to remember most have nothing to lose and prey on those that don't know the local ways (I was thinking blond Gringo girls might stand out)
Be safe and go for two amigos to take next time on your adventures!!

December 28, 2009 at 10:38 AM

 
Blogger Jill Costantino said...

So glad to hear Danillo joined you on your adventure. I'm sure you made it quite the adventure for him that he will remember FOREVER! I think I would become vegan too - WOW!
You are such a beautiful soul!

December 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM

 
Blogger triitagain said...

Thank you for sharing your trip, it is really speaking to my heart. I needed the line about true love being an act of total delivery tonight.

Stacy

December 28, 2009 at 5:24 PM

 
Blogger Nibbles said...

I'm really enjoying reading about your adventures and the way you've embraced this place. Thanks for writing!

December 29, 2009 at 4:13 AM

 
Blogger Coach Liz said...

You were wise to leave the dairy products alone. That stuff can do a number on you, Stay safe and good luck on your exam.

December 29, 2009 at 9:34 AM

 
Blogger Caroline said...

Thanks for sharing so many awesome pics from your trip! What an experience! The kids there are adorable!

December 30, 2009 at 12:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home