Aloha!

Friday, January 1, 2010

2010 All Day, Everyday, For a Year...

Breathe. Swim. Bike. Run. Play. Love. Explore. Find. Dance. Pray. Surf. Talk. Thank. Listen. Skip. Celebrate. Race. Ride. Live. Give. Smile. Hold. Hug. Walk. Compete. Read. Journal. Create. Travel. See. Share. Paddle. Dive. Sleep. Search. Hide. Journal. Cook. Drink. Glance. Start. Redo. Flip. Chance. Try. Stand. Chance. Attempt. Light. Gain. Lose. Pout. Cross. Welcome. Need. Recover. Work. Write. Find. Reach. Understand. Try. Believe. Hear. Wish. Fill. Repeat. Shine. Burn. Embrace. Sing. Snuggle. Cuddle. Witness. Appreciate. Honor. Fall. Know. Expose. Flip. Change. Crumble. Flow. Eat. Win. Hold. Parent. Dig. Choose. Pace. Wait. Meet. Call. Pour. Move. Know. Go. Receive. Jump. Stay. Stare. Learn. Reflect. Heal. Experience. Teach. Slow. Jog. Breeze. Feel. Remember. Touch. Pretend. Imagine. Sparkle. Influence. Admire. Close. Thank. Ask. Repeat. Support. Help. Open. Skate. Speak. Order. Rest. Fly. Reflect. Look. Adventure. Wonder. Wander. Chase. Hope. Do. Flop. Dream...
.
That's my 2010 "TO-DO" list, in no particular order...

First day of the year, nice, real nice! A swim in the tropical bay of Kailua with a manta ray guiding us through the surf, swell, and new day. Perfect. A chat with my coach to get 2010 into full swing...again, I'm beyond words thankful to have another year with swimbikerun as my daily life. I hope & pray to never take it for granted and to always love it as much this day, the next day, and all the days that follow as much as I did in my first days of riding a bike, splashing around with Kona Aquatics, and chasing the Kona boys with my shoes untied.
.
I've seen sun rises and sun sets all over the world and it gives so much life, to my life. That said, the 2010 race schedule is not totally put together yet. There are a million places I want to see, a million races popping up all over the map that are calling my name. I've put a few favorites on the list but for the most part-NEW YEAR, NEW VIEWS! This entire triathlon season will be a bit of a new view for me, and I'm welcoming it with an open mind and optimism.
.
Inside I think we all have this little voice that says, "What if...". And we start to dream things and believe things. Sometimes we ignore the little something inside of us. Other times we follow that small, still, voice and see where it goes. We chase it in the dark, through the unknown, we follow it all alone or in a crowd of supporters, we break down, we fall down, but we still hear it. Going after it again and again is the beauty for as long as you are loving the journey. My triathlon journey is still whispering, "let's go, let's try this again, come on a little more, keep going". So despite a lot of hard lessons, some hurt, and a few more slow days with belly aches than I would like, I'm happy to hear and follow that little voice again, because I still absolutely love where it is taking me...


That's the beans and rice of my sporting life. In my eating life, the beans and rice (and plantains) are a little more like this:

  • Get "cooking bananas", sometimes called plantains, the kind that taste horrible if you eat them uncooked. (and rumor has it you can get sick eating them uncooked). Hawaii, lucky us, has them in BIG green bunches (not too sweet), medium sized red ones, and tiny little yellow ones that are SUPER sweet when cooked.
  • Cook: You can boil, fry, or steam them. They are similar to cooking a potato. My most favorite is fried. However, doing it the way the Ticos or Nicas do it can help your booty grow a few inches over night. To fry them a little less booty-full, use coconut oil (full of amino acids!) First slice the plantains lengthwise, add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to the fry pan, they won't be soaking in the oil "Central American style". You have to continuously flip them over to keep from burning. The longer you cook them the more crunchy. They turn out super sweet. Kainoa like a pinch of cinnamon on his (kids will love them!).

The beans and rice (Gallo pinto), are all too easy. Make some rice, make some beans, add them together, and there you go! You know how to make rice, the beans are just as easy:

  • Beans: 2 cups of water for each cup of beans you are going to make. Put them in the slow cooker on high for roughly 6-7 hours. I know, long time, but totally worth it. Add in some chopped onion, cilantro, a touch of your favorite spices, I like to load garlic on mine, a few chopped peppers of all the colors, and a tablespoon of oil (coconut oil for this chica).
  • Just add rice: Once your beans are pretty well cooked add the cooked rice into the slow cooker (or giant pot you are cooking your beans in). Gently stir it all together. When the black and white combine the Ticos call it "spotted rooster" or "gallo pinto". Pretty much, this is a traditional meal 3x a day. It only gets better the longer it sits.

For breakfast add an egg or fresh fruit, for lunch add in some salad (lettuce and tomato covered in lime), for dinner add fish or chicken. QUE RICOOOOOOOOOO!

Cheers!

Bree.




10 Comments:

Blogger Ange said...

I love love LOVE your list. I'm going to write one and post it on my wall to look at each day. and I'm psyched you wrote out a yummy beans and rice recipe!!! I actually havne't known what to do with the beans....so it all came out sort of blah. I am trying to skip the meat a bit lately..this will help. :) thanks!!!

January 1, 2010 at 3:39 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

I did not know that uncooked Plantains could make you sick. Thanks for the warning.

January 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

AWESOME!!!!! Happy New Years

January 1, 2010 at 7:05 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Happy New Year! Hope you have a successful year and that you race schedule and major training phases work out smoothly. This morning I bought some fat, stubby yellow bananas (the more wild variety). Bananas are an important part of my diet as I train for a swim race for slowcoaches this year.

January 2, 2010 at 12:06 AM

 
Blogger TRI-ROB said...

Mm hm... that, my dear, is an AMAZING "to do" list!

Breathe...

January 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Great list of goals! Thanks for the recipe. I will have to try it sometime soon!

January 2, 2010 at 2:50 PM

 
Blogger Slow Rider said...

You are giving Kiona so many life lessons way to go Mommy!!!

January 2, 2010 at 5:47 PM

 
Blogger Shawn and Tracy said...

This post is making me hungry....
Happy New Year!
Tracy

January 2, 2010 at 8:05 PM

 
Blogger Regina said...

My mother in law is Colombian and makes the most awesome tostones (green plantains). Those are my favorites, but I do like the maduros too (sweet platanos, or plantains). I never thought about them with cinnamon, must try that.

I have been doing all kinds of variations on your recovery balls, my son loves them.

January 3, 2010 at 7:53 AM

 
Blogger Ordinarylife said...

Happy New Year!!

January 4, 2010 at 2:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home