Aloha!

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Growing Up In Hawaii....

Early on I knew deep in my heart that my life belongs in a world of blue colors. I'd never be content elsewhere and thoughts of a sun drenched life of all shades blue would haunt me forever if I didn't follow. After my morning run and setting my legs free for miles after miles along the Kona coast, Kainoa and I were in swim suits and sunscreen. Off to meet our friend Jason, he works on a boat and we were invited to his job. The entire time I couldn't stop smiling that Kainoa is growing up in Hawaii, in all shades blue and most days wearing a giant smile. My earliest childhood memories were on a farm, shades of green, fields of gold wheat, and powder snow in the winter. Beautiful colors, but not ones that set me free...
Having Kainoa has caused me to grow up in so many ways and in some small way we are both growing up in Hawaii. Together. Today we embraced our youth in the far flung adventures offered down at Kealakekua Bay, complete with swimming, dolphins, and a whale. Tomorrow is more running, more training, more of the life I love, gently surrounded by the colors I always dreamt of.





Italic
May all your trails be crooked, winding, a bit lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view...where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you. Edward Abbey
.



16 Comments:

Blogger D said...

I think we both know how much I LOVE the Hawaiian views, but I'm pretty lucky to have some amazing views here too :)

January 30, 2010 at 8:03 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

The look of happiness on Kainoa's face is priceless. What an amazing life you provide him.

January 30, 2010 at 9:19 PM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

Buenos dias !!! que fotos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! me voy a correr con mi hermano...A ROMA !!!
jajaja
un abrazo, buen sunday !!

January 30, 2010 at 9:54 PM

 
Blogger CoachLiz said...

The cold weather has returned to Houston and looking at your warm and blue pictures helped get that memory of the warm sun hitting the cheeks back. Thanks for sharing.

January 31, 2010 at 7:07 AM

 
Blogger Roblynn and Rebekah said...

Very well said! I realized yesterday that my six year old has never had any shoes other than flip flops in the last four years. Of course other than running and bike shoes neither have I.

January 31, 2010 at 7:09 AM

 
Blogger Marni said...

Everytime I get near the ocean I tell karel that we one day have to live by the water. It is just so amazing and relaxing. Love the pics bree!
-marn

January 31, 2010 at 7:59 AM

 
Blogger Bria said...

I love your blogs, Bree :) Your photos of Hawaii brighten my day and I can almost feel the warm sunshine all the way up here in freezing Canada! Wishing you all the best with your training..

Bria

January 31, 2010 at 3:21 PM

 
Blogger D'Arcy said...

Bree - great post - so much so that i wish i were living in Hawaii, too! Love the quote at the end. Have a great week! - D'Arcy

February 1, 2010 at 4:25 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

The pics you have are just the greatest! Thanks for sharing them on a daily basis!

February 1, 2010 at 4:29 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

A great place to grow up - for both of you :)

February 1, 2010 at 7:23 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

LUCKY!!!
Great pics as usual.
You know, on your last post, the weight your feet take is proportional to how far you get them off the ground. In my case its about 2 inches so the impact is less (not a highly recommended for speed though). I'm working on improving that by 50% though.... 3 inches

February 1, 2010 at 9:51 AM

 
Blogger Lisa G said...

Awesome pictures! It certainly looks like Kainoa is really enjoying his childhood in Hawaii and all of the beautiful views and adventures it has to offer.

February 1, 2010 at 2:11 PM

 
Blogger Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

stunning photos echo your happiness...love it!

happy move too - I missed all the action!

February 1, 2010 at 7:54 PM

 
Blogger Julia said...

I really loved this post! I completely know what you mean about living in a place with colors that set you free.... Kainoa is a very lucky boy indeed :)

February 2, 2010 at 7:04 AM

 
Blogger Jacqui said...

Well said Bree...you should really start working on some childrens books. Love the pics as usual!

February 2, 2010 at 5:52 PM

 
Blogger Laura said...

Love that quote Bree. Thanks!

February 3, 2010 at 4:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home