Aloha!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

66...

Today is 66 days till Ironman number one of my season... TALK ABOUT HAPPY! I love this time of the game, its perfect. Still plenty of time out to make gains and fine tune and build and enjoy. Much longer and I'm like a little kid that can't even really focus just yet because too long is too far away and my brain doesn't work that well long distance. Too short and all the fluttering butterflies start to spin and the energy to race starts to consume my every breath... 66 days is perfect, actually the next month will be perfect timing...
I woke up to a gorgeous sunny day in Hawaii and hill repeats. Pretty much coach gave me the workout he did with Lance last week. With the number 66 days on my hand I was ready to climb and keep the focus. My goal was boldly written on my hand and I wanted to hurt and work really hard for it, all day long. We had to climb this crazy beast of a hill 3x. Usually, in any realistic life you just climb it once, climb to get out of the bottom of a giant slope off a volcano.
.
Never would I consider hill repeats on it, today I did it 3x and each time I had to be faster. 1 and 2 hurt but 3 threw me off my bike. Me and Ku'uipo (my road bike) landed smack on the side of the road in a pile of small volcanic rocks. 66, 66, 66 kept repeating in my head and I just wanted to get up that hill like a crazy lady on a mission or a big boy running for a doughnut. My training partner for the day let me go, he said I look posessed, he then found me at the top curled in a ball swallowing down my throw up that was trying to come out from working it, again like the big boy after a doughnut. Thankfully the way home, all 90 minutes back to Kona, was spin, of course up and over a few more hills.
Water bottle refill spot... best cold hose in the South!

My head feels like these guys right about now, kind of spinning, a little cloudy in the eyes, and hard headed...
Just shy of 5 hours later we were home to Kona with legs that wanted nothing to do with swimbikerun. Oh my life is too sweet though, I had a speedy run to tackle. 66 days, 66 days, 66 days. A quick lunch, rub out the legs, catch my breath, pass out on my floor for 30 minutes, and it was time to run. PERFECT, mid day, full sun over head, and Clara. Yes, Clara, a girl I met yesterday who is in town with her ITU hubby and son.
.
Clara is shooting for 2012 Olympics, just missed it in 08 due to having a baby, ect. Anyways, I knew all about her, her reputation precedes her. Of course my mouth is also really big and I love having people to train with so something like this flew out of my big mouth yesterday when I met her, "WOW, wanna run with me while you are in town? I need you." I know, silly. Sure enough she is game and today killed whatever was left in me on the 8 miler, I think we ran it at her 33 10k pace. We both showed up in blond pony tails and pink sports bras (unplanned) and took over Alii Drive like a race. Her company was amazing, her run is beautiful, she was motivating and encouraging and talking to her (when I could breathe that is) was like talking to one of my guy training partners, only she could beat all of them in a run race. (No offense boys).
After that I ended up on my living room floor again, this time I did not move at all, literally not an inch. Not sure the last time I felt like this. 66, 66, 66 kept me moving, kept me chasing a goal, kept me pressing on with each training session. Dinner and a shower just happened, barely. Now my pillows are calling-nice 7pm.
This morning from my lanai I saw the sun rising up over Hualalai and I knew I would love the day, I just knew it. Now Hualalai is about to settle in for the night (see it above??). What a perfect way to spend 66 days before a race.
.
Really good night from Hawaii...
Bree



14 Comments:

Blogger ADC said...

You are killing those workouts. 65 days where I am. You will do great.

February 17, 2010 at 12:12 AM

 
Blogger manfarr1974 said...

Wow - Bree you are kicking some butt in training! Awesome, you are an inspiration, that is for sure! Keep it up, we are cheering for you!

February 17, 2010 at 2:30 AM

 
Blogger Trigirlpink said...

After a fresh dumping of New England snow last night, I needed this sunny cyberspace retreat. ahhhhhhh. :-)

February 17, 2010 at 3:24 AM

 
Blogger Christi said...

Great workout today! You did an awesome job and inspired me to tackle my fartlek intervals with the same vim and vigor!

February 17, 2010 at 4:16 AM

 
Blogger Oscarjet said...

Vamos !!!! 66 dias !!!!! vamooooss!

February 17, 2010 at 5:15 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

My legs hurt just reading about that hill! yeah 66!!

February 17, 2010 at 6:07 AM

 
Blogger Charisa said...

You are going to CRUSH that IM Bree! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE that feeling of spinning home after you've completed all the crazy hill repeats.

February 17, 2010 at 7:30 AM

 
Blogger ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Hills? What are those?

Actually I need to go find some... and they do exist here in Florida, if you look.

Thanks for the inspiration.

February 17, 2010 at 7:45 AM

 
Blogger Sharon S said...

you are one hell of an inspiration! Keep it up!!

February 17, 2010 at 11:05 AM

 
Blogger An Athlete In Training said...

So am I imagining things, or did you have a little cameo in this Time Trial video floating around on YouTube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4fa7CE-Daw

February 17, 2010 at 1:10 PM

 
Blogger Damon Steele said...

Please tell you got in on the action at the 1st ever Twitter Time Trial!

February 17, 2010 at 1:17 PM

 
Blogger Teresa said...

I can only imagine what that last hill repeat was like. Funny that you two looked like twins on your run too. Fast people think alike I guess...I am going to go run now in my pink sport top and shorts! :)

tn

February 17, 2010 at 3:36 PM

 
Blogger Caroline said...

I love reading your blog about your training! Good luck in the next few months leading up to IM South Africa!

February 17, 2010 at 4:33 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer Cunnane said...

Great training day! I am so happy for you Bree, it really seems like you have a great set up with your new coach and the workouts - oh man - scary hard!

February 18, 2010 at 5:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home